DDT 12/10/13 - National lager day!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeFishes

Reaction score
Waiting for growler Tuesday to begin at Cigar City. Drinking Humidor Series Smoked Imperial Stout.

NFVDUNw.png

First appointment scheduled for 8, so I left the house at 7. Snow started at 7:15. Roads instantly became shitty because I drive a subcompact with too much weight carried in the back. Drive another 12 miles. Office makes the call to close and cancel all appointments at 7:58. I am three blocks from my appointment when I get the call to stay inside. Put my **** in serious danger for two hours for NO REASON WHATSOEVER.

r5l0DOa.jpg

So I am going to unpack boxes, watch HGTV, and Intihar my favorite beer of all time, because **** it.

bA6gy3H.jpg

HAPPY TUESDAY.

It's also doppelbock season, if you like to drink motor oil.
Historically, Lent would be doppelbock season. It was consumed by monks for the 46 days between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday. Living by the strict rules of their order, the monks were regularly required to castigate themselves by periodic bouts of fasting, when next to no solid food was allowed to pass their lips. The longest and most taxing of these periods of culinary abstinence was Lent. Because the monks believed that liquids not only cleansed the body but also the soul, they would make plenty of liquid instead of solid bread from their grain, and then drink it in copious quantities...the more, the holier. The secular verson of the sacred strong bier was called a Bockbier.

But that's just factual. :D

One interesting bit from the infomatic is 1 out of 5 people judged someone by the beer they drink.

They must not have polled any members of BA, RB or TB.

Can't remember the last time I drank a lager. Definitely not drinking one today.

Can't remember the last time I drank a lager. Definitely not drinking one today.

I felt that way up until I started homebrewing. I had a serious bias against lagers. Once I started brewing my own lagers, I realized that a lot of the lagers we get here in the US are either bad or old, or both. I have a keg of Munich Helles on right now that is absolutely fantastic. Just enough hop bite, tons of crisp and bready pils malt, and almost no yeast esters.

I can drink the stuff all day, and even my non-craft friends love it too. It takes a lot more skill to brew a good lager than an ale in my mind, but when they are made well, they can perform just as well as the best ales out there.

Nope. I'm sticking to my guns and not drinking another lager for the rest of my life.

Not saying there aren't good lagers. I'm sure there are plenty.

Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Lager day, we're going to go drink some Kiwi Rising. Yeah, drink some beers, maybe eat some nachos, stuff like that. Maybe Hoponious Union, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time.

Historically, Lent would be doppelbock season. It was consumed by monks for the 46 days between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday. Living by the strict rules of their order, the monks were regularly required to castigate themselves by periodic bouts of fasting, when next to no solid food was allowed to pass their lips. The longest and most taxing of these periods of culinary abstinence was Lent. Because the monks believed that liquids not only cleansed the body but also the soul, they would make plenty of liquid instead of solid bread from their grain, and then drink it in copious quantities...the more, the holier. The secular verson of the sacred strong bier was called a Bockbier.

But that's just factual. :D

h64BF97AC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back