US - Mid-Atlantic Definitive Washington DC visit thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by bum732, Oct 22, 2013.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. wuntrikpony

wuntrikpony

Wonder if Aslin is going to do their popup at Nats games again this year. Never got a chance to make it up last year.

2. bramsdell

bramsdell

I never went either - I hate going down to that area anytime around games. I'm also pretty over Aslin at this point. The hazy thing has run its course with me and their beers are often incredibly sweet. If there's something I haven't tried on a Meridian or Smoke and Barrel, I may try it, but I've had about enough of them at this point.

Beerontwowheels and wuntrikpony like this.
  3. wuntrikpony

wuntrikpony

I hear ya...just never been to a Nats game and being from LA, the ballpark beer options were $14 Tecate and 6 month old Golden Road IPA.

I want to jump off the haze train as well, but had a DDH IPA from Triple Crossing last night that was fucking amazing.

4. bramsdell

bramsdell

Word - big fan of Triple Crossing. Enjoyed stopping by there a couple of years ago while in Richmond.

What we really need in DC are stores that can serve pours, like in NC. I remember when I first visited Raleigh like 5-6 years ago and went to Bottle Revolution and Tasty Beverage. It was amazing.

JCastle and wuntrikpony like this.
  5. wuntrikpony

wuntrikpony

Haha, I actually can't stand the proliferation of bottle shops down here. Having a couple is cool and all, but we really lack great beer bars. All the good beer is available at places that I don't really want to hang out at(with the exception of Tasty).

6. bramsdell

bramsdell

I get you. To be honest, that's exactly how I feel about Churchkey here in DC. Yeah, that taplist is great, but it's pretty insufferable anytime from 5-9pm on weekdays and pretty much all afternoon on weekends. Just way too many people and a lot of post-work bros. The Sovereign is definitely better, but it requires going to Georgetown.

The bottle shop situation has drastically improved just in the last couple of years. It used to be that there were very few stores that gave a shit (D'Vines being the only one in my area), but now lots of grocery stores have a solid selection (especially Yes! Market by my house) and there are some real gems.

If anyone hasn't been to Odd Provisions, it's definitely a good spot to check out. It's adjacent to my neighborhood and I bike by it every day I go to work, but it always just looked like one of those "overpriced olive oil and chocolates" places. Their beer selection is very solid and prices are reasonable for the area. It's pretty much one block away from Meridian Pint, too.

I forgot that I went to a newish (I think) place in Georgetown a couple of months ago called The Berliner. It's way the hell up there (pretty much under the Key Bridge), and it's pseudo-beer hall-y. Taplist was solid, prices were fine (for Georgetown), and they have a ping-pong table. Not a bad little place, but not somewhere I would make the trek to Georgetown for, as opposed to the Sovereign.

7. Sebowski

Sebowski

Ocelot anniversary on 4/20! Anyone else going?

neorunner and Beerontwowheels like this.
  8. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

Ugh. First time I won’t be able to make it. Headed to NY for Easter/family time.

9. neorunner

neorunner

[​IMG]

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  10. neorunner

neorunner

I'll be there at some point for sure.

11. Sebowski

Sebowski

Nooooooooooooo

12. Sebowski

Sebowski

I'm doing DC the 19th. Sovereign for sure at some point. Hit up your boy.

13. JCastle

JCastle

Churchkey is my current favorite place on Earth. Great draft list, had some tasty beverages. Highlights were that Czech pilsner that HF is importing and Schlenkerla.

14. franch

franch

churchkey is still the best beer bar in the country.

drinkypoo and pjs234 like this.
  15. bum732

bum732

[​IMG]

16. ScottJWing

ScottJWing

Will be in town for a few days in early May, does Aslin still have that pop up ramen kitchen? Anywhere else I should check out, aside from the usual suspects (Sovereign, Church Key, Meridian, Smoke and Barrel, Jack Rose, etc.)?

17. bramsdell

bramsdell

Meridian Pint closed, sadly. Well, actually, it moved to VA, which is even worse.

I don't think that Aslin is doing its popup anymore.

I don't think there's anything really new and poppin in DC, beer-wise. If you haven't made it to Right Proper (either brewpub or production brewery), that's a good play. Three Stars makes some decent beer, too, but they're much more old school, brewery with some tables in it type of place.

ScottJWing and capnmike like this.
  18. bramsdell

bramsdell

It is if you can go at opening on a weekday. After 6pm, it's usually too full with pretty lame people - either downtown bros or neckbeard cicerones.

At this point, I think the Sovereign is generally more interesting and more fun. But if you get Churchkey all to yourself...that's the dream.

jmgrub likes this.
  19. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

Definitely in my top 10. Maybe top 5. Sorry, I still got Porter as champ. factory waddup!

jmgrub likes this.
  20. JCastle

JCastle

Huh, I was just there 4 days before that happened apparently. It was ok, had a couple of mediocre beers on tap and left.

Bluejacket has an incredible space, beers were hit or miss though. The cask beers were tasty and the lagers were pretty solid. Red Bear was cool but the beer was lacking. After hitting a few spots around town I just said fuck it and ended up back at Churchkey instead.