ECY Release Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zapy1

Reaction score
Instead of me making a ton of these every time I see it on there, might as well just make one and keep updating it.

Love2Brew has ECY01 in stock, so go get em.

make sure to check other shipping options, usps saves you a good chunk of change over ups

Thanks for the heads up and good idea on getting a steady thread for this. Not sure what I'll do with this vial of ECY01, but something will come to mind eventually.

Edit: Also - thanks for reminding me to check shipping options. Last vial of ECY20 cost me 25$ with shipping. USPS saved me 10$.

Yes thanks again for heads up.

I wish it was around on Monday when the ECY03-B shipped so I could have combined shipping...btw I received that today.

Does anyone have experience using 03-B? I am contemplating using as primary or adding to secondary. Whichever I choose, I will be propagating.

I am glad that they seem to have some in stock every so often, but the trickling of different strains is killing me in shipping costs.

I haven't had a chance to brew anything with the isolate, but I've pitched many a bottle dregs from Fantome onto beers and the character you get off of them is quite amazing. I'm sort of curious how the strain behaves in primary as a single pitch. I may have to give that a shot with my vial.

I still have a vial from the previous release, so I think I'll try to use this for the sour going into the barrel on this month's schedule. Anybody propagate the blends successfully without throwing the ratios out of whack? at 18 gallons to fill the barrel and have some left over for topping off I'm a tad concerned of underpitching.

I am glad that they seem to have some in stock every so often, but the trickling of different strains is killing me in shipping costs.

I haven't had a chance to brew anything with the isolate, but I've pitched many a bottle dregs from Fantome onto beers and the character you get off of them is quite amazing. I'm sort of curious how the strain behaves in primary as a single pitch. I may have to give that a shot with my vial.

I still have a vial from the previous release, so I think I'll try to use this for the sour going into the barrel on this month's schedule. Anybody propagate the blends successfully without throwing the ratios out of whack? at 18 gallons to fill the barrel and have some left over for topping off I'm a tad concerned of underpitching.
You might slightly under-pitch that way, but their volumes are much better than Wyeast or White Labs, albeit designed for 5 gallons. Could you do a 5 gallon batch and then blend it with fresh wort to fill the rest of the barrel? Seems like the safest way to prop.

You might slightly under-pitch that way, but their volumes are much better than Wyeast or White Labs, albeit designed for 5 gallons. Could you do a 5 gallon batch and then blend it with fresh wort to fill the rest of the barrel? Seems like the safest way to prop.

Yeah I had thought about going in that direction before, however the problem is that different organisms reach their peak at different levels, in particular pediococcus takes a significantly longer time for the population to get to the levels desired (from what I've read about 8 months). The same happens on the inverse with Sacch strains that will likely not do very well that far out. I can't think of the way to get there... Thanks for the suggestion though, probably the best compromise

Got an ECY03-B in right when I had a Riwaka saison at high krausen, and dumped it in. I really want to taste it, as it was mentioned as a very fast mover, but I also want to keep it in an anaerobic environment for now.

Have an earlier bugfarm blend (from NHC last year) and flanders strain going. Also have 2 vials of bugfarm, and a bugcounty that'll get used very soon. gotta keep the sour pipeline going!

Got an ECY03-B in right when I had a Riwaka saison at high krausen, and dumped it in. I really want to taste it, as it was mentioned as a very fast mover, but I also want to keep it in an anaerobic environment.

Have an earlier bugfarm blend (from NHC last year) and flanders strain going. Also have 2 vials of bugfarm, and a bugcounty that'll get used very soon. gotta keep the sour pipeline going!
Ah Ess Oh!

Ah Ess Oh!
def. gonna send you some of my sours/funky beers at some point. Would love your feedback on them. I still have your brett pale you sent to try - really have been trying to save it until I can grow up the dregs. I think I'll do that this weekend sometime, as I have 20 other isolated brett strains i'm growing up right now.

def. gonna send you some of my sours/funky beers at some point. Would love your feedback on them. I still have your brett pale you sent to try - really have been trying to save it until I can grow up the dregs. I think I'll do that this weekend sometime, as I have 20 other isolated brett strains i'm growing up right now.
Can you take a picture of how you do this. Want to SEE what all is involved. That's a ton of strains to keep going (to someone like me).

I'll have a Nelson Brett saison (Lord Admiral Nelson Brett), a variant with Seville oranges (Lady Marmalord), and a Brett pale rebrew focused on Citra And motueka). All headed your way.

Has any one used 03-B for primary? When should ferm start? After 48 hrs, I am a bit concerned.

I have used it as part of the blend and with other strains, but not as the sole primary strain. The starters I have made with it have ripped pretty quickly. What sort of pitch rate?

I made a 48 hr starter and used almost all, with the exception of 2 tablespoons of slurry that I wanted to save for another project.
Fingers crossed it takes off soon but I was expecting it to be violently underway by now.

I made a 48 hr starter and used almost all, with the exception of 2 tablespoons of slurry that I wanted to save for another project.
Fingers crossed it takes off soon but I was expecting it to be violently underway by now.
Brett is pretty slow, typically, at least to show anything like a high krausen. It also acts differently in a 100% pitch. Have you taken gravity readings? It might well be underway.

Brett is pretty slow, typically, at least to show anything like a high krausen. It also acts differently in a 100% pitch. Have you taken gravity readings? It might well be underway.

I figured it would be slow but not this slow. I have not done a gravity check yet but do so tomorrow and report back.

Another example of why you don't trust your airlock/bov...I took a gravity reading today and it appears that it went from 1.055 to 1.005 in less than 72 hours.... All without a peep from the bov, I am home everyday and trust me when I say I monitored closely..haha.

I will be leaving on primary for approx 10 days, at that point I might secondary with fruit and oak.

I just had the opposite happen. Dry hopped while at target final gravity. Airlock bubbled like crazy for 7 days. I assumed infection, but no change in gravity yesterday. I've heard that hops can release CO2 from like crazy sometimes. Airlock bubbling, or lack thereof, is such a red herring.

ECY-01 (bug farm) is in stock.
Oddly it's lasted a couple weeks now. They must of dropped off a lot to L2B. I grabbed some right away, thinking it would sell out quick. They're supposed to be getting other strains any day now.

The ECY-3B I pitched a month ago (at high krausen on a sach. ferment with the ECY08 strain) is still going in a 5% Riwaka saison. Might be just outgassing at this point, as it's a bubble in the airlock every 4 min, but I'm really trying to leave it alone until it's all done. Really excited to taste it!

Anyone worked with ECY-04? I'm definitely curious.

I've used it in a few beers as a secondary strain. Nothing out of the ordinary so far there. Originial plan was to make a big citrus hoppy thing with it as primary strain, but that hasn't happened.

Just got the Flemish, 04, and the saison. Those, along with 2 bugfarms and a county I have on hand should keep me busy. Planning on doing 4 batches this weekend for the mixed cultures, and perhaps using the Saison and/or 04 in a 5th beer.

The Riwaka saison with the 03 brett strain is still going. I'd wish it would finish so I can taste it.

So much yeast on hand, but couldn't resist adding a ECY03 and 05 to the stash... prob. get used in another couple saisons I guess.

Tasted the Riwaka saison that I pitched the 03 in (at high krausen of the brasserie saison strain). It's killer. tropical fruit notes, slightly tart, really dry. Added a modest dry hop of Riwaka, will leave it for a few days, and off to the keg. Considered bottle conditioning this one - but I have another round of the yeast for a bigger batch, so I'll go for the quicker gratification of a keg.

I tried waiting a few days in hopes the ECY03 and ECY29 would sell out, but no luck. Just placed my order this morning.

I tried waiting a few days in hopes the ECY03 and ECY29 would sell out, but no luck. Just placed my order this morning.
ha! I did the same thing. put them in my cart, then said - no, I'm gonna be good - I don't need these. but then I went back the next day - still in my cart, so I couldn't resist.

Got my ECY stuff yesterday. Kind of concerned in that everything (ecy03/ecy29/ice packs) was luke warm when I retrieved it from my mailbox. Probably not mail-ordering yeast between April and September anymore.

Not Love2Brew's fault..yesterday was just a hot ass day. I'll be making a started for the ECY29 tonight, so we shall see.

Got my ECY stuff yesterday. Kind of concerned in that everything (ecy03/ecy29/ice packs) was luke warm when I retrieved it from my mailbox. Probably not mail-ordering yeast between April and September anymore.

Not Love2Brew's fault..yesterday was just a hot ass day. I'll be making a started for the ECY29 tonight, so we shall see.
How big a batch are you planning to brew? Their cell count is definitely high enough to fully ferment any 5-gallon batch.

How big a batch are you planning to brew? Their cell count is definitely high enough to fully ferment any 5-gallon batch.

5 gallons. Guess I didn't realize the starting cell count for ECY29 was high enough to not require a starter. That's good to know.

I guess the only reason to make a starter now is to make sure the yeast are healthy. The vials were probably subjected to 4-8 hours of 80°+ temps. Should I be concerned?

5 gallons. Guess I didn't realize the starting cell count for ECY29 was high enough to not require a starter. That's good to know.

I guess the only reason to make a starter now is to make sure the yeast are healthy. The vials were probably subjected to 4-8 hours of 80°+ temps. Should I be concerned?
Probably not? This is honestly a question above my pay grade. Starter for viability check does make sense.

I really don't think you need to be. 80+ really isn't all that hot for yeast, especially for only 4-8 hours. Also, being in TX I've had those little guys up to prob ~90 and have had no issues. I'd still do a starter, but that's just because I do regardless. I just like my yeast active when I pitch, even if the starter wasn't big enough for growth.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the temps either, but a starter to make sure the yeast is active for when it takes the swan dive into the wort is never a bad thing.

I've never used Al's conan, but low 60s is the way to go for maximum peach.

I bought two strains in March and was planning on using them soon, but I just noticed they were packaged in January and February. I think I've read normally within 6 months you're still good to use as is but what are people's thoughts here? Should I go with a starter just to be safe?

I bought two strains in March and was planning on using them soon, but I just noticed they were packaged in January and February. I think I've read normally within 6 months you're still good to use as is but what are people's thoughts here? Should I go with a starter just to be safe?
I definitely would in this case.

I just pitched conan yeast in an IPA using a starter, and the fermentation was so exothermic and aggressive that it ended up at 70 for the first 2 days... in a 58 degree cellar. Last time, when I just pitched the ECY container I was able to keep the temps to 62 more consistently without a starter.

If my temp controls were more advanced than just basement or main house, I could probably have controlled each, but without temp controls, a higher pitch volume can result in a hotter, faster fermentation. We'll see how peachy this one is...

Latest posts

Back