Excel Tips & Tricks ITT

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by Fingolfin, Oct 27, 2014.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

I dicked around flipping between 2003 and 2010 trying to fenagle a borked chart again. I hate version migration.

RedCoffee likes this.
  2. RedCoffee

RedCoffee

I can confirm that INDEX MATCH defeats VLOOKUP in most situations. If they ever bitch about my internet activity, this topic is being used as evidence.

tehzachatak, Canti4341 and chaggy5 like this.
  3. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Not convinced that INDEX/MATCH meets my needs better than VLOOKUP.

I regularly have to match thousands of customer IDs across sheets. For example: I get a list of customers IDs on one sheet and need to match ID from another sheet that contains email address. VLOOKUP returns the email for each customer ID match.

From what I know about INDEX/MATCH, you can only input one value to search, is that correct?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  4. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

A little more research was needed. Got it.

tehzachatak likes this.
  5. BadJustin

BadJustin Premium Supporter Contributor

someone teach me how to make a fucking Pivot Table, I wanted to stab myself yesterday and stuck it on the backburner. Excel noob for sure. Fawk.

6. GRDave

GRDave

This place never ceases to amaze me. There's an Excel thread now, I know I know, late to the party. I'm considered an Excel guru where I work, but its mostly because I know how to google. It's not that hard to learn. I have never heard of Index/Match, investigating now.

7. RedCoffee

RedCoffee

That's the one place I still think VLOOKUP wins - when you just need to append a single column to the end of your dataset. It's just simpler and faster to write.

I usually have to combine multiple columns from the table I'm "joining." So like all of the fields for a mailing address in separate columns. If you use the $ to lock the references correctly, you can just drag the formula around without needing to go back and change the retrieval column for each one.

The way I mentally envision it, instead of giving it a column number to retrieve, you're directly telling it which column with a cell reference (which is what allows it to be flexible with copying/dragging).

Fingolfin likes this.
  8. RedCoffee

RedCoffee

I just highlight the whole thing and then go to to the Insert ribbon and choose the Pivot Table icon.

Then it gives you a list of fields on the right and you can drag them down to one of the four quadrants at the bottom (filters/columns/rows/values). From this point best thing to do is just mess with it and see what it does.

BadJustin and Fingolfin like this.
  9. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

YouTube machine, bro. Srs. Your question is so incredibly vague, hard to answer it better than the nerds on 'Tube.
    So much this.

Lognar and BadJustin like this.
  10. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Ctrl+Shift+End minimizes blanks by just selecting fields containing data.

Rempo, Canti4341, quirkzoo and 2 others like this.
  11. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

I learned how to make it work for me and I actually like it more than VLOOKUP. It's hard not to just start entering the VLOOKUP syntax...

12. quirkzoo

quirkzoo

Keyboard shortcuts?

[​IMG]

But seriously, I love you. I always deal with charts that have a bunch of holes in the data and I think I actually might use this one.

Fingolfin likes this.
  13. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

I get so pissed when there are blanks in my pivot and I have to filter them out.
    Ctrl+Shift+Home if you're starting from somewhere within your data field and want to select all between current and home.

14. quirkzoo

quirkzoo

I inherited a contact list from my predecessor. Over 2,000 entries, mostly just emails but some with some additional random information. I have tried pairing it down into useful data and this will definitely be helpful.

Fingolfin likes this.
  15. tehzachatak

tehzachatak

Once you do it enough, it becomes second nature just like VLOOKUP. It takes longer cause it's more complicated but I finally got there and now I can write index matches before I've even had one cup of coffee

Fingolfin likes this.
  16. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Not Patrick

How easy are Pivot Tables, vlookup, etc to pick up? Any good online tutorials?

Anyone here use R? I'm taking a course on it. Seems pretty similar to Matlab at a superficial level.

17. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

If I need to learn something, I always check out YouTube first. A quick search produced tons of results of pivot tables, but I haven't seen them so can't recommend.

Maybe I should make my own....??

I have no idea how to do that.

quirkzoo likes this.
  18. tehzachatak

tehzachatak

Any one individual thing in Excel is pretty damn easy to learn, IMO, especially if you have any kind of technical familiarity at all. I don't have any particular online site i like better than others - if I'm trying to do something and it's not working or it's a new command to me, I just google it and there are usually a ton.

I use R on and off. Not really at all an expert yet. I'm really a Stata guy at heart, but I would very much like to be competent in R so that I can eventually all my analysis in a piece of software I can have at home for free rather than having to rely on the software my employer pays thousands of dollars a year for...

Arbitrator likes this.
  19. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

People who love INDEX MATCH over VLOOKUP, please explain when/how it is useful. I am having a helluva time working it into my excel routine.

20. tehzachatak

tehzachatak

Fingolfin likes this.