Fantome new Road...

Discussion in 'General Beer Topics' started by danyP, Oct 25, 2016.

1. coldstorage

coldstorage

Any turtle ghost spottings stateside? I'm assuming lime will push some? I'm too spoiled to pay that Etre price!

henrythehippo and FTowne like this.
  2. sherm1016

sherm1016

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

We have some old Hiver sitting on the shelves. Maybe one other beer that I can't remember.

Shelton Brothers either (a) hates Wisconsin or (b) L. Knife and Sons (the parent company of Beechwood, the Shelton distributor in WI) chooses to have your beers (along with Cantillon, 3F, and other) sent to their other distributors.

Wisconsin probably didn't buy a lot of imports back in the day for the necessary relationships to develop, and now we're perpetually screwed on any limited stuff that Shelton gets.

sliverx, FTowne and Gonzoillini like this.
  3. coldstorage

coldstorage

*ghost turtle

Ryan_G likes this.
  4. beeraroundtown

beeraroundtown

Portland has rocked the imports for years and rarely gets any Limited Shelton stuff. I think it's just based on proximity and market size. East Coast gets taken care of, then the rest goes to CA

5. Pneill316

Pneill316

Not PA/NJ/MD:(

nhindian, Ziggy, GRDave and 1 other person like this.
  6. beeraroundtown

beeraroundtown

PA got a keg of Vertignasse? Didn't they?

7. Pneill316

Pneill316

Wat!

thunderbirdesq, GRDave and skrip like this.
  8. Rau71

Rau71

Local store to me has so many tomes on the shelves even I stopped trying to buy them all every time I go in. So awesome.

9. robertgoulet

robertgoulet

[​IMG]

I'm really confused by this one. This is the 'fresh' batch with the green cap. Poured completely flat and tastes under attentuated with a sweetness that I cannot recall getting in the past with Fantome. I know that Noel has had various shades in the past, but I've never seen one with such a deep and opaque brown.

Has anyone else opened one with a green cap?

Just for perspective, here's last year's batch

[​IMG]

I have no fucking idea, the ghost works in mysterious ways

10. beeraroundtown

beeraroundtown

Yah, just got my green caps, very soft carb so far, should pick up. Thought the taste was great, lots of liquid candy syrup going on, like Rochefort 10. I do miss the pepper and herb notes of the old Noels, but that's been consistent for 6-7 years or so. The last version that was this dark was '10 or '11.

11. LuxWanderer

LuxWanderer

[​IMG]
    Purchased from Dany 1.5 weeks ago. Super fresh batch, ghost cap. Quality and flavor follow other recent batches. Lots of musty strawberry, bit of citrus and Tome yeast driving the whole thing. My son loves visiting the Ghost

Ziggy, mrk_d, CSO and 19 others like this.
  12. stakem

stakem

Fantastic example of FTSKiT

Fantome Serious Knower in Training

PerHops, LuxWanderer, mrk_d and 16 others like this.
  13. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

[​IMG]

Per the label "Lot bj 13 best before 2016." Opens up with a nice wave of all manner of spices, little bit of peppery yeast, juicy sweetness and a full body that I keep noticing in Dany's beers (added fruit juice?). Maybe a bit of brett as well? An absolute joy to sip on and consider.

14. mrk_d

mrk_d

New Strange Ghost is good. Dark amber color, ginger aroma and taste as alluded to earlier but also fruit juice / fruit cocktail in the taste. I can see this becoming next level as the funk continues to develop.

15. FTowne

FTowne

This is one of the biggest mysteries to me. I'm surprised that the yeast "cocktail" never seems to ferment these beers down to the level of bone dryness.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Previously IllbeBOCK

I got to try the vertignasse on tap last week at max's in Bmore. Interesting beer for sure, poured a light hazy green and was fairly flat (looked more like pond water than what you would imagine a "green beer" would look like). Smelled like funky fresh cut grass and cucumber (maybe that was the spinach?). It was only slighly tart, but had a nice subtle touch of fruitness to it. I'd drink it again. Glad i got to tick a "bizzare" fantome beer.

Pneill316 and FTowne like this.
  17. MooseLang

MooseLang

Opened up Santes 17-20 this past Saturday.

17 tasted like an old, oxidized Dubbel. Near drain-pour. 18 was like a tart, dark Saison. I enjoyed it more than my brother.

19 is still awesome. Was one of the best "straight out the gate" Tomes I've had in recent memory. Drier, less citrus fruit, more funk now than when it was fresh.

I didn't like 20 at first, but it's really starting to round into form. The Tome magic is kicking in, and balancing out the peppery yeast character. Start cracking this one.

18. PerHops

PerHops

so sad i missed this. didn't know we even received kegs of fantome here

tosh likes this.
  19. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

Most definitely. Some of the fresher bottles seem to have more of that juicy thickness to them and older bottles seemed to have "tightened" up a bit with time. I can't help but wonder what "secrets" he's tossing in there that cause that. I've never had anything older than a few years so I wonder how the body on bottles older than 5 years is.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017 at 1:31 PM
  20. stakem

stakem

It varies greatly depending on the tome house brett/wild culture being present. Bottles like Sante 3, cisse leuze and even old etes are quite thinned out and dry. But something such as loch ness that has minimal "wild" character is still on the thicker body spectrum. Special Unique Noel at 23 years old was the most extreme example ive encountered, it was thicker than most barleywines/old ales of comparible age.