FiftyFifty Brewing - 2015 Brewers' Intent Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbikes4beer

Reaction score
Looking forward to FiftyFifty's stab at a beer club. I don't think I've ever had a "bad" barrel aged beer from them. Most of us are probably members of other clubs, and they have their own threads right?! Figured with the first bottles about to come out we might as well fire up a thread. Maybe locals or regulars have some info on what's rolling out. I've only visited the pub once back in 2013 but I love the Truckee/Tahoe area and hope to be back soon.

Good to meet you all.

I joined, split with schwartzoid, looking forward to seeing what we'll get. I probably won't be up there at all this year until the party.

I joined! I'll probably go get my first shipment since I've only been up there once and ship the rest, depending on shipping costs. They're gonna use GSO so it shouldn't be too pricey. I'm excited to find out what the first allotment is!

I'm so pissed that I missed the sign up for this membership. One of the only upcoming ones that I liked everything I read about.

If anyone who joined wants to go splitsies at any point, HMU.

Just received an email about the first release:
Greetings Beer Enthusiasts!

Thanks again for being a part of this inaugural year of the Brewers’ Intent program. Hopefully all of you have been able to log in and get your basic account information set up. If you are have any technical difficulties at all, please just let me know and we’ll do our best to get you all sorted out.

In the meantime, I know what you’re all really looking for is an update on “when can I get some good stuff??”. So, here’s the scoop. We are finishing all of the tweaks on our new online shopping site, complete with our own secure payment processing option. That site is expected to go live this coming weekend, and you will all receive an email when it does. On there will be a list of various bottles you can purchase and have shipped to your door (in CA) since you are one of our illustrious members. Eventually we will have other merchandise loaded on there as well, but figured we’d get the important stuff dialed in first.

Additionally, your first “members package” will be ready beginning Saturday, March 14th! It includes your first of the six membership bottles, your custom growler, plus a surprise bottle - just for fun. View the details here:http://shop.fiftyfiftybrewing.com/sites/default/files/March.pdf

IMPORTANT: If you plan on picking them up, you will still need to go onto the website to “claim” your allocation before you come in, and simply choose pick-up for your delivery method.

If you do choose pick-up, we ask that you pick up your goodies within 30 days of their release. As most of you probably know, our space is really tiny, and storage is a challenge. Plus, we want to get you your beer as soon as possible! More details on logistics and process will be included in the next email when our website goes live.

As always, questions, comments or suggestions? Please let me know! This is our first time with this, and want to make sure that you all get the best experience possible.

Cheers!
-Alicia
Co-Founder, President, Beer Lover

Nice that they included a bottle of Eclipse, got two bottles of it already, and heard mixed feelings about it. Since I got a third coming, I might as well open it up and see what's up.

I'm hoping that some of the extra bottles for sale will be the Eclipse variants that weren't available via Futures, especially High West Rye. Not sure which ones may or may not already be sold out but wouldn't mind picking up a couple bottles of the ones I didn't get.

I'm hoping that some of the extra bottles for sale will be the Eclipse variants that weren't available via Futures, especially High West Rye. Not sure which ones may or may not already be sold out but wouldn't mind picking up a couple bottles of the ones I didn't get.
I just want the coconut one. Please!!!

Anyone want to be a proxy for me, as i starting on the quest to find one late. I will make it worthwhile as I've done the Bruery for two years (2012 & 2013), in the Degarde this year as well as the Wakefield. Please email me if you can help. (preference goes to a local so i don't have to ship twice)

The web store is up with the first included bottles and growler, up to 2 extra bottles of Cherry Annularity, plus the ability to purchase a bunch of various Eclipse variants, Old Conundrum on Wood, and Annularity.

The web store is up with the first included bottles and growler, up to 2 extra bottles of Cherry Annularity, plus the ability to purchase a bunch of various Eclipse variants, Old Conundrum on Wood, and Annularity.
I have been waiting for that email for 4 days. Can finally turn off push email notifications! Truthfully I was hoping we'd have a chance to buy Coconut Eclipse.

Anybody know how much members they got for this?
If you're craving a pint of scotch...

They mixed up my bottles of Java with the HW single malt the day after the Eclipse party.

So I got 2 bottles of my least favorite Eclipse ever (HW Single Malt), instead of 2 bottles of an all time favorite Eclipse (Java).

:(

They mixed up my bottles of Java with the HW single malt the day after the Eclipse party.

So I got 2 bottles of my least favorite Eclipse ever (HW Single Malt), instead of 2 bottles of an all time favorite Eclipse (Java).

At least you can buy more Java through the website now.

I would definitely email them. I'm sure they'd be willing to help. They've always been more than willing to assist me with all sorts of stuff.

Coffee B.A.R.T.? Oh hell yeah.

Gotsta be better than cherry annularity. I was like, $5 extra for cherries? Already suspicious.

So we did a side by side, with like, I dunno, a 2 year old bottle of annularity, and fresh cherry annularity last week. The older, cheaper annularity > more expensive, fresh annularity.

All my bros were like "I drank all my annularity bc it was so hoppy, I thought it would suck aged, ****. . . oh uh, how many more of these you got?"

Anyways, I didn't order any extra cherry annularity, so I guess hit me up if you're ISO, bc I'm not.

LYMI FiftyFifty

Drank a Cherry Annularity a few weeks ago, I thought the fruit character and hoppy side of the base beer didn't quite meld. Curious to see where it goes after 6 months or so.

Meant to try the Cherry Annularity at Firestone Invitational but didn't get to. Didn't hear the best things about Pappy Masterpiece.

Cognac Masterpiece!
If that is for realz, I need it in my life.
Meant to try the Cherry Annularity at Firestone Invitational but didn't get to. Didn't hear the best things about Pappy Masterpiece.
I have no horse in this race other than im a sideliner who enjoys ticking all Eclipse variants. I really wanted to join this club but opt'd not to since I spend way too much on my bruery beetus addiction. Having said that, I wonder if there is a difference between PVW Masterpiece bottles and whats served on draft. The bottle of PVW masterpiece I drank was one of the most remarkable stouts ive enjoyed in recent memory.

I have no horse in this race other than im a sideliner who enjoys ticking all Eclipse variants. I really wanted to join this club but opt'd not to since I spend way too much on my bruery beetus addiction. Having said that, I wonder if there is a difference between PVW Masterpiece bottles and whats served on draft. The bottle of PVW masterpiece I drank was one of the most remarkable stouts ive enjoyed in recent memory.
I can't see why there would be a difference.

I think the main thing with it is that it's too young. If you like really harsh stouts (which some people do) then you'll like it. I have a buddy who said he loved the rough edges it has. But I don't tend to, so I think it's just okay. But I do see the potential for it to be phenomenal in a couple years. I don't plan on touching a bottle until 2016.

What's too bad is that's a lot less tenable with Cognac since there's no comparable "tried it on draft", you have to open a bottle to try it fresh. IIRC Alicia said we'd get two (one included, one for purchase), but that wasn't confirmed in the e-mail so don't take it as gospel.

If that is for realz, I need it in my life.

It's part of the 2nd quarter club allocation.

As for the Pappy Masterpiece discussion, I tried it from the bottle and draft this past weekend and it was the same to me. I do agree with stupac2 that it's young and needs some time to mellow. If you're into the rougher style of stout you'll like it right now, if not, it'll be great when it mellows a bit.

anybody else kinda confused? I know they said the shop won't be live till 10am pst?...but I see bottle limits for Cognac Masterpiece, BART, Coffee Bart, and Vanilla Bart. I assume those are the additional amts we can purchase aside from the 1 of each included in this quarters included bottles?

anybody else kinda confused? I know they said the shop won't be live till 10am pst?...but I see bottle limits for Cognac Masterpiece, BART, Coffee Bart, and Vanilla Bart. I assume those are the additional amts we can purchase aside from the 1 of each included in this quarters included bottles?
I'm guessing they said 10 AM because they didn't want people trying to buy while they were still adding stuff and making changes at 8:45 or whenever they were working on it.

Yeah. I wish I would have finished my transaction before 10. Site was working perfect....but still that 5 minute cart lol

Yeah. I wish I would have finished my transaction before 10. Site was working perfect....but still that 5 minute cart lol
Yeah I saw that thing about 10 and then checked the site to see what was up, it worked perfectly fine and I got my extra bottle of Cognac plus a Vanilla before 9. Looks like I made the right decision...

(Also, Vanilla BART is really good, I just have too much beer. If you're on the fence I'd recommend it, I would've bought two if I didn't have way too much beer.)

That was painfully easy. Got me the extra masterpiece, 2x coffee, and 2x vanilla. Looking forward to trying these beers when I get them. I wonder if they will have the Masterpiece on tap this weekend for people going to pick it up?

That was painfully easy. Got me the extra masterpiece, 2x coffee, and 2x vanilla. Looking forward to trying these beers when I get them. I wonder if they will have the Masterpiece on tap this weekend for people going to pick it up?
Doubt it. If this was a single barrel then the club allotment is large enough that they didn't keg any of it.

(If it was two barrels then there could be a lot of kegs, but I also would imagine they'd bottle more of it.)

(Also, Vanilla BART is really good, I just have too much beer. If you're on the fence I'd recommend it, I would've bought two if I didn't have way too much beer.)

Same problem. Bought two. Couple friends are big vanilla fans so at the least they'll get some too haha.

Doubt it. If this was a single barrel then the club allotment is large enough that they didn't keg any of it.

(If it was two barrels then there could be a lot of kegs, but I also would imagine they'd bottle more of it.)

Might have to share a bottle with the homeboys sooner then. Was hoping my friend can try it saturday to see if it's as hot as that pappy masterpiece that needs to sit the **** down for a while since it was so hot. But, this is why we bought the extra bottle.

Might have to share a bottle with the homeboys sooner then. Was hoping my friend can try it saturday to see if it's as hot as that pappy masterpiece that needs to sit the **** down for a while since it was so hot. But, this is why we bought the extra bottle.
I'm inclined to think it won't be as hot. For one, Cognac seems to be mellower than whiskey for aging (though this is based on a tiny sample size). Second, those specific Pappy barrels seem particularly hot, given how hot the normal Pappy Eclipse was. Finally, this probably wasn't aged for as long, so the barrel character should be somewhat tamer even if they're about the same at inducing heat into the beer.

Someone's going to have to try one fresh-ish to see how it is.

I'm inclined to think it won't be as hot. For one, Cognac seems to be mellower than whiskey for aging (though this is based on a tiny sample size). Second, those specific Pappy barrels seem particularly hot, given how hot the normal Pappy Eclipse was. Finally, this probably wasn't aged for as long, so the barrel character should be somewhat tamer even if they're about the same at inducing heat into the beer.

It was aged over a year in the barrel. Not sure how much more ABV gets added with that long of time with the Angels share going on. I wonder what the final ABV actually is.

Another vote for Vanilla Bart. I'm shocked that beer is so under the radar.

Given the penchant for blending Vanilla & Coffee Eclipse at the Eclipse party. . . and the subsequent release of Coffee & Vanilla Eclipse.

When do we get Coffee & Vanilla Bart?

Id volunteer my services but considering I thought Papster Masterpiece was not hot at all...my opinion sucks and isnt valid.

Back