First Time Hazy IPA Home Brew...Seeking Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeeo2388

Reaction score
I'm helping out a buddy attempt to brew a hazy IPA extract kit. He's def more optimistic then me. We are not experts by any means and have only home brewed about 10 times, all standard extract kits from places like MoreBeer and NorhernBrewer.

Just thoughts on if there's any extract hazy kits that could be recommended or if it's even worth a try. Or I've heard that treating the water to make it seem more 'soft' for this type of brew is even possible on a amateur level like us. Any thoughts or experiences would be helpful. Thanks!

I'm helping out a buddy attempt to brew a hazy IPA extract kit. He's def more optimistic then me. We are not experts by any means and have only home brewed about 10 times, all standard extract kits from places like MoreBeer and NorhernBrewer.

Just thoughts on if there's any extract hazy kits that could be recommended or if it's even worth a try. Or I've heard that treating the water to make it seem more 'soft' for this type of brew is even possible on a amateur level like us. Any thoughts or experiences would be helpful. Thanks!

The fundamental question here is if you're more worried about the appearance or the taste. Think about what flavor characteristics, perceived bitterness, mouthfeel, etc. you want out of it, and use that to inform your process.

greatnotion.png

https://fhsteinbart.com/product/sometimes-a-great-notion/

Great Notion developed this home-brew kit with a company, can't tell if it's designed for extract or all-grain or if it really matters.

In my opinion, you should be able to get pretty close to this style using extract. I don't know of any specific kits for emulating the style, however any of the myriads of recipes on the internet could be easily converted to extract with steeping grains.

To answer your question in regard to water treatment, you can absolutely modify your water with extract (I would recommend building up a proper mineral profile from distilled) but there will also be an unquantified mineral addition from the extract which is determined by the water profile that the producer used while mashing the grain.

That said, is there any reason why you wish to keep doing extract? If you've done ten batches, it sounds like you're likely to stick with the hobby and BIAB is a pretty short putt from what you're doing currently. You'll develop a lot better understanding of the science behind brewing and as a result, will start to produce much better beer.

Back