US - Northwest Floodland Brewing

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by FoudreGuy, Jul 21, 2017.

1. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

Cats out of the bag, bottle club sold out, time to talk about this more now.

http://www.washingtonbeerblog.com/s...ocus-on-barrel-fermented-mixed-culture-beers/

http://www.floodlandbrewing.com

beerscenes and brystmar like this.
  2. brystmar

brystmar

Excited for this. The stuff I've had from Holy Mountain was great.

3. evanw

evanw

Super close to my place: Check. Run by a former Holy Mountaineer: Check. Mixed-fermentation goodness: Check.

Signing up seemed like a no-brainer to me.

brystmar and FoudreGuy like this.
  4. beerscenes

beerscenes

Some of the early peeks at what he's working on have been tantalizing, and after spending a decent amount of time with Adam, I'm pretty sure my tastes align pretty closely with what's to come.

Sounds like the majority of the membership was filled by locals, which is pretty neat. Especially with his intent to have time slots for visiting the barrel room. I'm sure I'll see some familiar faces there.

FoudreGuy likes this.
  5. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

I love that roughly 90% of the memberships were from WA.

Lots of HM bottles that were released after he left still had his involvement. It's gonna be good, and totally devoid of shitshow drunken lines. Awwwww yeah.

JimmyWimms, evanw and brystmar like this.
  6. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

7. beerscenes

beerscenes

FoudreGuy and evanw like this.
  8. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

I'm glad as well.

They do a bunch of "best XXX" double blind lists all the time that always drove people insane, so I'm guessing they have a sizable reader base.

9. wethorseblanket

wethorseblanket

Pallbearer t-shirt! Approved.

[​IMG]

jan63, JimmyWimms, FoudreGuy and 2 others like this.
  10. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

11. JimmyWimms

JimmyWimms

Not a local (sorry :oops:), but have followed from a (literal) distance once a friend in Seattle notified me several months ago that this project was happening. Joining the club was an easier sell to the wife once neither of us got into Keepers, though this is hardly a "consolation prize". Looking forward to tasting what Adam has been cooking up!

12. paysse

paysse

Ironically, that's the same shirt I wore in some of the first press photos from my old spot. I'd just brewed all day so my other shirt was gnarly, that one was in my backup bag because it has a few holes in it that I patched with duct tape.

13. beerscenes

beerscenes

The first bottles are set for release to club members. paysse was kind enough to provide tasting notes I can include in my Untappd check-ins.

Protection Spells

Protection Spells is a blend of saison and acid beer fermented and aged in oak and refermented on pluots.

The 2017 harvest blend was created from a spelt beer fermented and aged in an oak puncheon with a mixed culture. This acid beer was blended with young wheat saison fermented in an open top oak tank and aged in white wine barrels. This blend was refermented on ‘Hawaiian Punch’ pluots grown in Selah, Washington by Collins Family Orchard. Collins Family is a fourth generation farm which has been in operation for over 100 years in the Yakima valley. After refermentation it was again refermented in the bottle, and will continue to develop over time.

Bottled 10/17/17.

Plums are possibly my favorite fruit to make beer with. These plums from Collins Family Orchard were beautiful, and amazing to eat. They are technically pluots, as Collins does a lot of hybridization, but without knowing that you would think to eat and see them that they are plums. One of the reasons I enjoy making beer with plums so much is that they rarely taste literally like themselves. While raspberries and peaches when fermented taste like raspberries and peaches, plums evolve into all sorts of other interesting flavors. In this case the Hawaiian Punch plums tasted very tropical and looked like a blood red beet, but after refermentation we ended up with a beer whose aroma and flavor hit with rose water and grapefruit, backed with some mulling spices. This is a beer that represents my interest in making and drinking beers which balance fruit character rather than hitting you over the head with it. It has a lot of fruit character, but the fruit is balanced with hops, yeast, and some of the base malt, as well as a supporting minerality. Protection Spells is spritzy and refreshing, with a light and crisp acidity. It's probably more akin to a long poured vermouth soda or an Aperol spritz than beer. I've been enjoying drinking it quite a bit, and I've stashed a few bottles away for the summer so I can drink them in the back yard when it's hot out. The carbonation is moderate so it works to open it at fridge or cellar temp. Bottled 10/17/17. 400 bottles available. The beer is tasting great now and the conditioning should continue to develop. Because it's a lower abv, lighter beer I'd expect that it peaks this spring/summer and I wouldn't recommend cellaring it for more than a year.​

Drive out the Spirits
    Drive Out the Spirits is a blend of saison and wild ale fermented and aged in oak and refermented on blueberries.

The 2017 harvest blend was created from a spelt beer brewed with aged hops and fermented and aged in an oak puncheon with our wild culture. This wild acid beer was blended with young wheat saison fermented in an open top oak tank and aged in white wine barrels. This blend was refermented on ‘Early Blue’ blueberries grown in Mossyrock, Washington by Glenn Aldrich, whose family has been growing blueberries in the same spot since 1944. After refermentation it was again refermented in the bottle, and will continue to develop over time.

Bottled 09/21/17.

An old school blend, using young (3+ month old) saison to blend down the acidity of an older wild beer. The wild puncheon in this was beginning to develop some nice lambic-esque funk, particularly some toasted sesame character. The saison that I cut the acidity with was very creamy from the heavy use of raw wheat, and had a bit of lemon Brett character. The resulting beer is dry, with a driving lactic acidity balanced with prominent minerality and a raw wheat creaminess. There is blueberry skin tannin, black pepper, tobacco, and a dry but creamy blueberry character that really develops in the finish. Bottled 09/21/17. 450 bottles available. The culture in this beer progresses slowly, and at 4 months in the bottle the condition is just beginning to come into its own. Of the three January beer this is the one that will most benefit from a bit of additional time, and I think it is likely to taste even better in March/April and beyond than it does now.
    The club member bottle has also been announced:

Field Blend - Cherry, is the first in a series of Field Blend beers. The 2017 harvest cherry iteration of this beer includes Balaton (organic), Montmorency, and foraged Cornelian cherries, all from Washington. Two bottles of this Field Blend are included as part of your Oakworks membership. No additional bottles will be available, the Oakworks allocation is the entirety of the production and there is no draught.

Cinnamon in beers isn't usually my thing, but NW pie cherries in particular tend to have an amazing and prominent cinnamon flavor, and that comes through big in this beer. A few folks who have had this have said that it reminds them of pie. There's a bit of crust from the spelt and wheat in the base beers, the cornelian cherries add a floral, strawberry/cranberry character that makes this really different from a lot of other cherry beers, and the inclusion of the cherry pits gives a nice coconut and vanilla custard background note. The acidity on this one is just to my liking, very moderate. The goal with most of these beers is drinkability, and this hits that nail on the head for me. Bottled 09/14/17. I think this is drinking great now and will likely be at its peak over the next 6 months.
    Excited to give these a try in just over a week! (If I can bring myself to open the bottles immediately.)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  14. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

Still curious about the name of my unlabeled red raspberry saison bottle... my beer OCD is a terrible thing.

sharpski likes this.
  15. paysse

paysse

To know its true name gives you power over it.

That beer will probably come out in March, it is red and gold raspberries. While the beer is nice, I didn't want it to come out in January because I am not sure I will make it again, so it isn't the most representative of Floodland.

16. wethorseblanket

wethorseblanket

WTF is acid beer? assuming it is some sort of sour base?

17. beerscenes

beerscenes

This was Adam's response on BA:
    Edit: "Homie" isn't exactly what he said...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    mateoloco and FoudreGuy like this.
  18. wethorseblanket

wethorseblanket

isn't homie a replacement for offensive slurs? what could he have possibly said?

19. evanw

evanw

“r-e-t-a-r-d”

AnotherPint4Ole and iong516 like this.
  20. wethorseblanket

wethorseblanket

oh, ha. makes sense.

iong516 likes this.