US - Great Lakes FOBAB 2013

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by usamxc12, Oct 1, 2013.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. thewimperoo

thewimperoo

That and Track #10 seemed a shell of what it was last year. Coffee was in that weird green pepper place.

Framboise de Amorosa was excellent though.

2. drgarage

drgarage Not a real doctor. Lives in garage. Contributor

Lost Abbey is so unpredictable at festivals. 90% of the time, they show up with a billion kegs of Red Barn. Once in a blue moon, they bring Yellow Bus.

3. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson

They've brought DDG and at least one Veritas to FOBAB in the past. Seems odd to half-ass such a high profile event.

4. Boilerfood

Boilerfood

My thoughts exactly. At first I was excited when I saw the track beers, then I tasted them.

5. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

I assumed this was a new batch of Track 10 since they said they would be releasing that one again and possibly distribute it. Coffee didn't seem off to me.

Track 13 is a rare beer. Unfortunately its not any good.

6. drgarage

drgarage Not a real doctor. Lives in garage. Contributor

[​IMG]

7. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson

Lost Abbey was selling as recently as a few weeks ago leftover tracks 4-12 to the Box Set winners. To wit, the big batch of Track 10 (which, I'd presume, would be rebranded) are still in barrels. Or at least it was at the time of the LA barrel party.

lurchingbeast likes this.
  8. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson

FWIW, I wore this shirt to FOBAB.

xnicknj, MarkIntihar, Scalzo and 3 others like this.
  9. sidetracked

sidetracked

I feel like I was only able to try about half of the stuff I wanted to and still ended up pretty trashed. Worst beer was definitely some smoked porter to the left of BA Abraxas. My friend got a pour and it tasted like smokey cherry cough medicine with a splash of porter. (I lost my booklet at the end of the night, so I'm not sure what it was.) I wasn't a fan of FW Agrestic or the Perennial Le Boheme Kriek. BA Plead the Fifth barely tasted barrel-aged--nothing like when I've had it before.

I thought Track 13 was pretty good, but not something I'd drink a ton of. All the Side Project stuff was tasty. Pipeworks Barrel Aged Last Kiss was good--strong on the bourbon. Bear Republic Tartare was probably one of the most interesting beers of the night ... it smelled like toast with strawberry jam and was pretty damn sour.

I'm disappointed I didn't try any of the Off Color stuff and missed Utopias (only because I'm never going to throw down the cash for a bottle). It was nice meeting MarkIntihar as well.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  10. Etan

Etan

This is about everything I had, give or take:

CW Sixteen was boring (lots of bourbon, thin). Dark Horse's maple barrel porter was very nice. Most of Destihl's fruited sours tasted fruitless. Fireside Chat was legit. I also enjoyed Goose's apple sour, but Flanders and Sour Wheat were forgettable. Track 13 was meh (cognac bomb). Both of the NB-Upland collab sours were very nice, especially the Dark Side. Cherry Trouble was nice but Scurried tasted washed out. All of the Pipeworks beers were good, especially BA Last Kiss (that beer begs for a barrel) and BA Jones Dog (perfect balance of sweetness and tannic bourbon). Perennial's La Boheme Kriek was ok. Sun King's Lonesome Dove (Pappy BA tripel) was tasty. Ross's's' Melange tasted like a very acidic Chardonnay. Tartare was great as usual. Ale Syndicate's Richie (French oak imperial porter) was forgettable, as was BA Teddy Bear Kisses.

MarkIntihar and Scalzo like this.
  11. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

Going through my booklet to catchup on Untappd checkins.

I drank way too much last night.

What was up with BA Plead? Not good at all.

MarkIntihar, cfrances33 and Scalzo like this.
  12. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

13. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson

What was wrong with it?

14. jmgrub

jmgrub real Gs move in silence like lasagna

While I wouldn't say there was anything wrong with it and I definitely enjoyed it, it was a bit more restrained than previous bottled versions I've had.

15. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

Thin, dry, not good.

cfrances33 likes this.
  16. cfrances33

cfrances33

Also the way I felt about the BA Behemoth.

And how about BA Apocalypse Cow, huh? It actually didn't suck. In fact, I thought it was pretty solid. Definitely held its own against other BA barleywines that were there.

Powz87 and lurchingbeast like this.
  17. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Moderator Staff Member

Waaaaaattttt???? One of the ones I know?

18. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Moderator Staff Member

Had a great time FOBABing. Awesome meeting many new faces and reconnecting with several familiar ones! Highlights of the night were Blueberry Flanders and Clare's, as well as drinking about 6 ounces of Utopias throughout the evening. Will definitely attend this event every year from here on out!

normyk, Steebo, Dsal89 and 2 others like this.
  19. stxSS07

stxSS07

I do believe. It was not an enjoyable experience. Will only sesh with you from now on for extra muscle.

20. Treebs

Treebs

Yeah, that wasn't a pretty sight. I had no fucks to give though since I told him two hours before he was going to get kicked out if continued acting the way he was acting.

Group Builder