US - Great Lakes FOBAB

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Dsal89, Aug 22, 2014.

1. danbanana

danbanana

RedCoffee Sorry my friends were so annoying in line but thanks for stealing a chair from us and being Tim 2.0 for a while. Definitely an upgrade from Tim 1.0. (Who also didn't get a glass because... why? How hard is it to make sure you have enough glasses to match the number of tickets you sold?)

Without going into too much detail, I'm just gonna say the following are amazing: Dasvidaniya in rye barrels (and LOL no I still won't buy your packaged products, Destihl), that gin barrel mead, Whiskers, Pentameter B2 (I knew this; but it's good to see how it compares), that thing that is pretty much Napa County Stout, Trinity Red Swingline, and a bunch of others.

The following beer is a mess: Prop '15. If I wanted to age green peppers in maple syrup, I could do that at home. I haven't always loved the variants but they always had positive aspects. I get the appeal of the raspberry syrup that Bramble was fresh. But this year's Prop is a straight up awful fucking beer.

Rare was tight, though. Basically a really solid batch of an already great beer. If the age-it-two-years-and-it-somehow-gets-better rule for regular BCBS holds, this might be insanely good in time.

Scalzo, RedCoffee, LSMroz and 5 others like this.
  2. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

Recap:

Gin Yuzu Fierce was the best beer of the fest and it wasn't close. Dosvidaniya Rye was pretty average. I think I'm the only one who liked Prop '15 so you guys can give all of your bottles to me.

3. ClCardinal84

ClCardinal84

2nd the Gin Yuzu Fierce. The nose on that beer was unlike any other beer I've had.

lurchingbeast, SSTroller and gregkoko like this.
  4. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel

I liked 15 Prop as well...

and agree with other Gin Zuzu is good I actually think the Gin helps bottled version seems to have a fake lemon pledge thing going on for me...

thewimperoo likes this.
  5. sidetracked

sidetracked

The gin finished radiolaria was on point too. Super refreshing and flavorful.

SecretSquirrel and CanisMajor like this.
  6. danbanana

danbanana

I was disappointed by that. Felt like the base beer was just watered down. Then again, I LOVED the base beer...

Ferowcious and lurchingbeast like this.
  7. Holland

Holland

It's true, I like hiking.

[​IMG]

stxSS07 likes this.
  8. RedCoffee

RedCoffee

Your friends were fine in line. By that point, water had soaked through to my socks and I was freezing. Would have been much more sociable otherwise.

I walked around the city more that day than I should have. Walked from Ogilvie to Haymarket to UIC. And then some more wandering around pre-fest. That chair was a godsend by that point. I'd have been Tim-point-whatever for a comfy seat

9. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

The lines moved a hell of a lot faster than last year. They still seem to oversell the shit out of the venue though. I was less hesitant to push people out of the way if they were standing in large groups right in the middle aisles.

I do agree with Dunt's assessment of the beer list though. Seemed a tad lackluster compared to years past.

I would pay $500 for a keg of Gin Yuzu Fierce.

10. Dunt

Dunt

Favorite beers/ciders: Rev radlers, 5 Rabbit Iligo Montoya, Cherry Mitten, Glacier Big Woody, Prop '14

Got cut off at a bar after FOBAB. Cant remember the last time that happened.

11. thewimperoo

thewimperoo

Overall, another fun FOBAB. Some improvements over last year, but still things that could be better. It was definitely crowded, but it seemed a little better than last year. The glass sucked. Too tiny, couldn't smell anything from it. Should have bought one of the mule cups. The layout was weird and didn't really seem to have a rhyme or reason. Made it hard to find stuff. I liked the program in the past better when it went by style and by Brewery. Pretty much just posted up at Goose for the last hour and a half drinking Vanilla, Rare, Gillian and Cascara. Got drunk, went to the Publican, ate much food, slept on the train ride home.

Some favorites
    Perennial Blue Label
    2nd Shift BA Vanilla LSD
    Spiteful BA Malevolence Chocolate Caliente
    Hailstorm Vlad w/Raspberries
    All 3 of Brickstones Dark Secrets
    Gin Yuzu Fierce
    Starkeller Peach
    Breakside Bellwether (Gin barrel saison with limes)
    Trinity Red Swingline with apricots and peaches
    Crooked Stave Progenitor
    Transient Pentameter
    Both the New Day meads
    Goose Cascara, Props '14 & '15, Blend of Vanilla Rye & Coffee
    Rev Helles radler. The ginger was a little too overpowering for me on the Fist City radler.

12. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini

Yep had a good time as always, and aside from my continued complaints about the layout of the event and the glassware choice, I really have nothing but positives this year. Also the bottle room was a little bit warm, but I sweat at anything so I may be in the minority for that one.

Favorite beers include the Perennial Blue Label and the Gin Barrel Aged Yuzu Fierce.

I thought that Hickory Old Scratch was pretty bad, but everyone else I was chatting with seemed to really enjoy it.

Also props to Goose Island for running a really efficient show with their booths as I didn't wait for more than 5ish minutes at any point on Saturday evening.

Cheers!

13. Ferowcious

Ferowcious

Hey, I've got an extra glass if you'd like to pick it up.

Holland likes this.
  14. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12

They ran out of glasses because every time you came back in from a smoke break on Friday they would try to give you another glass. Unfortunately my one glass was dropped by my girlfriend, don't drunkenly have your girlfriend hold your glass.

lurchingbeast likes this.
  15. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

I saw 3 glasses get dropped and survive. Tough break, man.

16. sidetracked

sidetracked

I was more pissed that they ran out of booklets than glasses. Coming into a massively packed room with no idea where anything was sucked. Blue label ran out by the time I could find it. No idea where Veritas 15 was since they hung all the bottle signs on the tables so you couldn't see them...

All of the Scratch beers were interesting... they all seemed to have a maple-y woodsy quality to them. Overall, to me nothing was crazy, knock your socks off amazing. Lots of good beers but nothing that made me want to go back for seconds.

I was actually quite happy with the plastic cup. Seemed easier to hold than the ant jar. My wife spotted some people throwing their mason jars in the recycling bin so I dug them out to take home--so ended up with a glass in the end anyway.

Holland, SecretSquirrel and LSMroz like this.
  17. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel

The book wasn't much help anyways... it needed a map for one thing...

Gonzoillini, Holland and thewimperoo like this.
  18. ChicagoGuy

ChicagoGuy

I appreciate the offer, man. I didn't actually care for the mini mason jar, mostly just wanted to bitch about the fact that they ran out before I got there :D

LSMroz likes this.
  19. chippo33

chippo33

Anyone know of any events going on around town? Northdown isn't doing one this year.

20. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel

haven't heard of anything going on, actually it's been actuall pretty quiet leading up to Fobab... I blame the Cubs

CharlieMurphy and thewimperoo like this.