Fonta Flora Brewing (Releases, etc)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caaam

Reaction score
Since Todd mostly posts on TOS, I figured I'd at least occasionally try and copy-pasta his stuff here. Hope he's cool with it. Deets for the next release:

Fonta Flora Brewery is turning two! To celebrate this momentous occasion, we thought it fit to throw a party/host a bottle release. Although a month out, here is what you can expect thus far. More will be announced as we actually figure it all out.

BOTTLE RELEASE BEERS:

Meemaw: Appalachian Wild Ale: High Country Wild Cherries 5.2%

Incredibly complex Appalachian Wild Ale brewed with local barley, rye and wheat. Fermented with our mixed house cultures in white wine barrels. Fermented again in stainless with a blend of high country wild cherries and montmorency cherries. Conditioned on local cherry wood.

Sal de Gusano: Smoked Imperial Stout aged in Mezcal Barrels 10.6%

Robust imperial stout brewed with a blend of smoked, caramel, chocolate and roasted grains. Aged for 10 months in smoky mezcal barrels. Conditioned on smoked French Broad Chocolate cacao nibs, organic vanilla beans and OBX smoked sea salt.

Double Hop Beard: Extra Hairy Mountain Man IPA 8.2%

Our sexy and elusive double IPA. It has only been brewed once before. A favorite of everyone at Fonta Flora. Very dry and extremely floral.

Tentative Draught List:

Meemaw
Sal de Gusano
Double Hop Beard
2014 Echoview Estate Ale
Armadillo Trousers: Collaboration w/ Jester King
Brutus

MORE TO COME Y’ALL. MARK YOUR CALENDARS! CHEERS!

Who am I gonna see there?

EDIT: NEVERMIND I'M AN *******. Change of plans, dinner in Asheville.. there's nothing to see here... Carry on.....

(don't want to derail the thread, real quick though. Good place to eat near the brewery? stopping in there Thursday afternoon on my way to Asheville. Thanks for all the good ideas TBers, appreciate it!!)

Last edited:
EDIT: NEVERMIND I'M AN *******. Change of plans, dinner in Asheville.. there's nothing to see here... Carry on.....

(don't want to derail the thread, real quick though. Good place to eat near the brewery? stopping in there Thursday afternoon on my way to Asheville. Thanks for all the good ideas TBers, appreciate it!!)

I don't think this thread has too much in the way of rails. Others can chime in about good food nearby - I've always stopped going through to/from asheville and ended up eating in Hickory, at Hickory Station or similar. I've heard good things about Mountain Burrito, but haven't yet been. There's also some manner of gastropub in town, I believe

Not a big fan of smoked beers, but that Mezcal Stout sounds pretty awesome. I also gravitate towards weird **** so that's probably why.

Stealing more content from Todd from the other site:

We have an update about our second birthday celebration we think y'all should know about. We have been working diligently on securing that every aspect of the birthday celebration would be absolutely perfect. However, things don't always go as planned. We are super bummed to announce that we WILL NOT be releasing Sal de Gusano in bottles at our birthday celebration on November 14th. Although we tried everything we could, some label issues are preventing us from being able to release this beer as planned. We truly hope y'all can understand that this is a bit out of our control and know that this delightful beer will available in beautiful bottles in the future. That being said, we WILL have this delightful creation available ON DRAUGHT during the birthday celebration for y'all to enjoy. Once again, we truly do apologize for going back on our word. Lastly, you can't actually believe that we would subtract a bottle from the release without adding one, right?! Well in place of Sal de Gusano, we are releasing bottles of Bloody Butcher: Appalachian Grisette. We absolutely love this beer and we know y'all will too.

Here are the counts, limits and prices for the birthday celebration bottles:

Meemaw: 500ml. 972 Bottle Count. 6 Bottle Limit. $16/Bottle

Bloody Butcher: 750ml. 672 Bottle Count. 4 Bottle Limit. $12/Bottle

Double Hop Beard: Special Edition Screen Printed 32oz Growler. 300 Bottle Count. 2 Bottle Limit. $16

Really looking forward to seeing everyone out in little Morganton on November 14th! Cheers!

Also, looking for someone from the Charlotte area to help me with a gopickitup - message me if you'll be there from that area (JohnnyNC is the only user I know of that's specifically from CLT, but if there are others out there, message me)

And the draft list:

Draught selection for the birthday celebration:

Meemaw: Appalachian Wild Ale w/ High Country Cherries aged on Local Cherry Wood.

Sal de Gusano: Smoked Imperial Stout aged in Mezcal Barrels for Ten Months. Finished on French Broad Cacao Nibs, Organic Vanilla Beans and Brettanymyces Yeast.

Double Hop Beard: Extra Hairy Mountain Man IPA.

Brutus: Dandelion Tart Appalachian Saison.

Shopping Spree: Tart Appalachian Kvass.

2014 Echoview Estate Tripel.

Armadillo Trousers: Collaboration with Jester King. Petit Tart Saison with Local Golden Plums and Dried Sassafras Leaves.

Brackish: Oyster Stout.

Brine: Oyster Saison.

Papamace: Tart Appalachian Saison with Local Viognier Grape Pressings.

Honey Don't: Honeydew and Mint Ash Saison.

Beets, Rhymes and Life: GABF Gold Local Beet Saison.

Pontoon Parade: Sprite Melon and Bee Balm Saison.

Potentially others but those are for sure. Cheers, y'all!

Stealing more content from Todd from the other site:

Also, looking for someone from the Charlotte area to help me with a gopickitup - message me if you'll be there from that area (JohnnyNC is the only user I know of that's specifically from CLT, but if there are others out there, message me)

If was going to be in town I would be happy to. I'm headed to Nashville this weekend though. I know there are other Charlotte peeps on here just not quite sure how active they are. Hit up some Asheville people are close to Morganton too Id see if anyone is going

If was going to be in town I would be happy to. I'm headed to Nashville this weekend though. I know there are other Charlotte peeps on here just not quite sure how active they are. Hit up some Asheville people are close to Morganton too Id see if anyone is going

Yeah, I'll be in AVL Saturday night, but need to snag some Olde Meck stuff, which I believe is still just a Charlotte thing?

Definitely worth a trip to drink there.
Sal de gusano is a tasty beverage.
Grab some papa mace to go! That stuff is great.
Good people there.

Roll call for this weekend?

(Sal de gusano, land grant, sun gold bottles, for those interested. 3pm release. 3pp on sal, 6pp land grant)

ISO: Appalachian Walker (mults if possible) IP at Fonta Flora Saturday.
FT: Calico Jacks, recent Jackie Os stouts, possibly honey pie cans from Birdsong, GGW, etc

I know I know but trust me I'm not on this site for the trades, just figured I'd put an IP feeler out for any Ashvillians that may be able to go by Vitner tomorrow.

FT: Calico Jacks, recent Jackie Os stouts, possibly honey pie cans from Birdsong, etc

FT: Calico Jacks, recent Jackie Os stouts, possibly honey pie cans from Birdsong, GGW, etc

I know I know but trust me I'm not on this site for the trades, just figured I'd put an IP feeler out for any Ashvillians that may be able to go by Vitner tomorrow.
500px-Not_sure_what_to_say.gif

Haha, hope all is well Gabe. I promise that will be the last trade post I have on here, and you can quote me on that ;)

Next release is Feb. 20th:

I might show up for this one if I don't go to the Beach with my girlfriend. Can't say I'd be at all looking forward to the line though. Variants of Urban Monk:

Urban Monk: Imperial Stout aged on Defiant Whisky Oak Spirals.

Mexi Monk: Aged Additionally on Pure Intentions Coffee, French Broad Chocolate Nibs, Organic Vanilla Beans, Organic Cinnamon and Organic Cayenne Peppers.

Tropical Monk: Aged Additionally on Organic Toasted Coconut.

Turkish Monk: Aged Additionally on Pure Intentions Coffee and Organic Cardamom.

Next release is Feb. 20th:

I might show up for this one if I don't go to the Beach with my girlfriend. Can't say I'd be at all looking forward to the line though. Variants of Urban Monk:

Urban Monk: Imperial Stout aged on Defiant Whisky Oak Spirals.

Mexi Monk: Aged Additionally on Pure Intentions Coffee, French Broad Chocolate Nibs, Organic Vanilla Beans, Organic Cinnamon and Organic Cayenne Peppers.

Tropical Monk: Aged Additionally on Organic Toasted Coconut.

Turkish Monk: Aged Additionally on Pure Intentions Coffee and Organic Cardamom.

I'll be there. Stoked for these wilds

i know the FF stuff is going super high lately but if any FF locals are iso TH bottles hit me up, been trying to find a FF local that is looking for TH local... seems FF is putting out more bottles now though and TH more cans so understand if nobody is interested

i know the FF stuff is going super high lately but if any FF locals are iso TH bottles hit me up, been trying to find a FF local that is looking for TH local... seems FF is putting out more bottles now though and TH more cans so understand if nobody is interested
Maybe it's just my bias/homerism, but FF beers are a far cry better than TH beers. And the releases lately have been nutso, so "locals" doesn't really help, unfortunately

by TH i mean tired hands, not tree house... but in terms of this is better then that.. it could be.. idk.. i've only had a few FF beers but when Tired Hands hits on their saisons they are amazing... just been the bottles at the Ferm since May 2015 to now haven't quite lived up to what Tired Hands was putting out at the Cafe from early 2014 - mid 2015... the low bottle counts of the FF stuff makes it hard.

Figured there really aren't many "Locals" to FF either, i've been there.. wouldn't think too many live within 20-30 mins of the place.

Really Fonta reminds me a lot of how Tired Hands was a few years back when they just had the cafe, that's what charmed me when i visited Fonta back in September and got to try rhythm rug on tap I think it was.. the strawberry on that beer was phenomenal.. could taste it a few hours still on my palate.

Funny thing was on that day i got to visit FF i noticed a bunch of bottles inside the place and saw some Tired Hands and asked the people working about all the bottles and was told the brewer and a few people had a little share that day. I didn't get to talk to him, but was trying as I had a bunch of Tired Hands with me and Hill Farm as i was on vaca in the area and was trying to make a trade with him for some ryhtym rug.

oh well, if anybody sees this is and likes Tired Hands and doesn't already have a Tired Hands connection let me know

I live in Pittsburgh, but have a buddy who lives in Morganton. He made it to the Meemaw release for me, got bottles of Meemaw and Bloody Butcher but he was at the end of the line.

He tried to go to the next release with Sal de Gusano and came up empty on everything but Land Grant. I didn't even have him try to go to this one. I feel bad making others stand in line for me and I figured it was going to be insane.

Their stuff is trading crazy high now too... Insane how fast hype builds.

Anyway, I do have two extra bottles of Land Grant if anyone would like to try it. Not their sexiest release (apple saison) but no insane asking prices if anyone has never had the pleasure of trying FF.

I live in Pittsburgh, but have a buddy who lives in Morganton. He made it to the Meemaw release for me, got bottles of Meemaw and Bloody Butcher but he was at the end of the line.

He tried to go to the next release with Sal de Gusano and came up empty on everything but Land Grant. I didn't even have him try to go to this one. I feel bad making others stand in line for me and I figured it was going to be insane.

Their stuff is trading crazy high now too... Insane how fast hype builds.

Anyway, I do have two extra bottles of Land Grant if anyone would like to try it. Not their sexiest release (apple saison) but no insane asking prices if anyone has never had the pleasure of trying FF.
I think you may be referring to land trust, but I may be wrong here.

Sleep Inn is going to be off the charts this weekend. That is all.

Latest posts

Back