US - Mid-Atlantic Forest and Main thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Max, Dec 22, 2014.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. holldy01

holldy01

Anyone have this year's Marius? Opened a bottle recently and was underwhelmed. By far my least favorite bottle from them (not counting that waves b2). It just was buttery and kind of meh. There were some canned peach notes but otherwise flat.

2. skrip

skrip

ahh damn thats really sad to hear!! my buddy has a bottle for me but i haven't gotten around to picking it up yet. anyone else pop one?

3. WhalezB4Rarez

WhalezB4Rarez One of the few still only on here Contributor

I feel like maybe I helped push them in the right direction a while ago when I bitched at them for turning into Tired Hands 2.0 as just an IPA and Saison house and forgetting their roots. Seems like they are trying to coerce their customers into drinking something other than those two styles. (although IPA and Saison still dominate their taps)

holldy01, skrip and Gonzoillini like this.
  4. holldy01

holldy01

I mean they kind of are Tired hands 2.0...

WhalezB4Rarez likes this.
  5. WhalezB4Rarez

They didn't start that way though! They started out as "British and Belgium" inspired. (even had their beer list categorized that way) Then it became IPA & Saison with maybe a bitter. Right now they have a Mild and Stout on cask which is nice. I think they are trying to get back to their roots a bit but those offerings are mainly on cask.

(I forgot to mention this Instagram too)

Oh, and while I applaud them for making a barleywine the one I got in cans from them in December (Destroyed by Fire) kinda blows.

Gonzoillini and holldy01 like this.
  6. holldy01

holldy01

I mean small brewery in Philly burbs doing experimental takes on traditional styles in a homey space. Could either be Forest and Main or TH Brew Cafe. But I do understand what you're sentiment and agree with them becoming TH 2.0 recently so I am glad to see them going back to their roots. Their bottled saisons have always been world class but I thought their draft offerings have been not been good enough recently to warrant making the trip to visit the brewery outside of bottle releases. Before they expanded they sent a few kegs out to Lancaster and 2 out of the 3 were pure green trub kegs that had to get sent back. That plus a few lackluster draft offerings have kept me from making the drive.

Gonzoillini and WhalezB4Rarez like this.
  7. WhalezB4Rarez

I live not far away where a around trip to get a growler or some cans could be roughly 30 minutes. But the last few times I've had beer from them I haven't enjoyed it. Going into the new space does seem like a demarcation from good/not good but maybe also an assistant brewer left or something. Or maybe they are putting out too many recipes instead of honing in a few.

8. holldy01

holldy01

Yeah, I used to make pretty regular trips but the Marius/vintage release was the only time I’ve gone since late 2017. It seemed like they got distracted while trying to open the new space and their quality just fell off.

9. Evahflow

Evahflow

I feel quite the opposite. It's about a 40 minute drive from me and I go pretty often. I love the can conditioned saisons/draft saisons better than the longer aged bottled stuff they have put out recently. I also prefer their IPA's over any other PA brewers by a decent amount. They use a lot of weird hops not a lot of other places are using and it makes them stand out. Plus nothing beats getting a mild or a bitter on cask there. Everyone is looking for something different though I guess. I'd probably say they are my favorite brewery right now.

WhalezB4Rarez and holldy01 like this.
  10. holldy01

holldy01

Fair enough. I tend to like brighter, more tart saisons over floral/biscuity saisons which is why I prefer their bottles over their draft. That being said, recent Marius was definitely a let down. However, the last bottle i had bought from them before that was Feurald Tinferres which was surprisingly good. The ginger scared me but when I tried it I kicked myself for not getting more bottles. I thought it was great.
    As far as IPAs go, they were always fine but not something I’d drive an hour and a half for. Plus after tapping 2 kegs that had to get sent back, i lost a little faith and it made it a little hard to justify the drive. But like I said, I haven’t had any in a while so I can’t speak on their recent IPAs.

Evahflow likes this.
  11. WhalezB4Rarez

DigDug1810 and skrip like this.
  12. holldy01

holldy01

13. WhalezB4Rarez

hahahaha. solid point. But so far I don't think it's doing much help to promote F&M.

I watched the first 4 minute episode last night. I am scratching my head at a few things. Like "why four minutes?" The episode is titled "The Recipe" which gives us an introduction to F&M and a little bit more. I guess I'll throw in a "spoiler" tag?

I don't know how familiar some of you are with the owners of Forest & Main but I never got much of a vibe that they would be "good for TV". (not that someone like Shaun Hill is either but whatever) This first episode features mainly Gerard talking about cultivating yeast on the property. Which I think is a really cool topic! But Gerard has such a manner of speaking that is rather subdued and the backing music track almost overtakes him. Not that this show is going to be a science project but I would have liked to learn a little bit more about how they cultivate the yeast. But according to Gerard it apparently also has to do with burning some sage on the front yard. And for an episode titled "The Recipe" the only ingredient discussed was yeast!

So for me I think releasing these videos once at a time at 4 minutes a piece is kind of a waste. They should either be longer episodes, have released the whole thing at once or just put it out on YouTube. Four minutes a piece (if that's how all episodes are going to be) seems like a waste of the Amazon Video platform.

Evahflow and holldy01 like this.