US - Great Lakes Founders Brewery

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by GRDave, Nov 5, 2013.

1. GRDave

GRDave

Figured I'd start up a thread for "all things Founders".

First topic on deck, a new beer from their Pilot System. From their FB page,

"The latest offering from our Pilot Brew System is now on tap!
    *It's simply called, 'Smokey Porter', and is a robust porter utilizing smoked malts and clocking in at 7.7 ABV!"

http://foundersbrewing.com/whats-on-tap/

2. DanzBorin

DanzBorin

Love visiting the brewery. The people there are great and the one off beers are usually really tasty.

3. ASUBeer

ASUBeer

I'm looking forward to cans of centennial IPA in January.

MSEGUIN and jeblikesbeer like this.
  4. SammyD

SammyD

Backwoods should be hitting stores in your area soon, if it hasn't already, and starting Dec. 2, Sweet Repute will be released.

5. DanzBorin

DanzBorin

I really want Sweet Repute!

6. willseph

willseph

Picked up some Backwoods Bastard last week, had one over the weekend. I'm not sure if I like it more fresh and hot or aged and smooth. Either way, I love it.

I'll be in GR this weekend, looks like I'll have to pop by the brewpub for a pint of the smokey porter.

DanzBorin likes this.
  7. Treebs

Treebs

Can we assume that Sweet Repute is basically a rebrew of Nememis 09?

sidetracked likes this.
  8. xnicknj

xnicknj

This was asked directly on the blog post on their website...the response:

"This is a new beer, though it may have inspiration from a beer or beers we’ve brewed in the past…"

So no, but yes. This is the first Backstage I've been looking forward to in quite awhile since I really enjoyed that 09.

9. Treebs

Treebs

Agreed on the looking forward to part. I still have one 09 left that I'd like to do a side by side with for fun. I mean just based on the description alone it is very similar, but I obviously don't really know what malt bills and hops were used in either one so it could be a different recipe just brewed with the same process.

10. GRDave

GRDave

FYI, Founders posted on Facebook today that they have another shipment of KBS glasses on stock. Still for sale in their online store.

willseph likes this.
  11. SammyD

SammyD

I think they hit a lot of homeruns with their Backstage releases. I loved Better Half, Bolt Cutter, and Doom. Unfortunately, I never got to try the CBS or Blushing Monk, buy I hear they were really good.

12. GRDave

GRDave

Go get your Sweet Repute tickets...NOW!

mjshearer1 and MSEGUIN like this.
  13. GRDave

GRDave

14. GRDave

GRDave

Update on Founders 2014 availability:
    http://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2013/2014-availability-calendar/

A few highlights:
    - Reds Rye IPA/Rubeaus/Breakfast become the new seasonals (4 months each)
    - Imp Stout/Curmudgeon/Double Trouble/ TBD become the new special releases (3 months each)
    - KBS/Devil Dancer/Harvest/Backwoods become the new Limited releases (1 month each)
    - Pale and Oatmeal on nitro distro'd in kegs
    - Backstage Series remains

JulianB and KWilk like this.
  15. mjshearer1

mjshearer1

I have it on trusted authority that the TBD release is an Imperial Black IPA. Presumably a double Artist Inspired. No I don't have sources, so take it for what you will. I may or may not gloat excessively if it turns out to be the case.

GRDave likes this.
  16. GRDave

GRDave

With Grand Moff on tap now, you might be on to something. They've also been tinkering with their Foreign Spy series of DIPAs, along with Mosaic Promise. Good times to be close to the taproom.

Steebo and mjshearer1 like this.
  17. DanzBorin

DanzBorin

I had Opening Night Black IPA at the brewery. Was supposed to be a double black IPA. Wasn't much different than the Inspired Artist.

18. SammyD

SammyD

[​IMG]

I guess Founders has a new Backwoods shirt, but when I asked for a picture (It's not on their online store), they never responded. I'll probably still buy it over the phone.

19. GRDave

GRDave

Announcement made today (6/16/14) by Founders regarding their next installment of the ArtPrize series of beers....

We’re excited to announce that we’re going to release Mosaic Promise, an ale brewed with a single malt and a single hop, this September. Proceeds from the sale of this new ale will benefit ArtPrize, the world’s largest art competition that takes place annually in Grand Rapids, Mich. Mosaic Promise will be sold in Michigan, Wisconsin, greater New York City and greater Chicago both on draft and in 12 oz. bottles with a suggested retail price of $9.99 per 6-pack.

http://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2014/mosaic-promise-artprize-2014/

[​IMG]

JoeStepOner and DanzBorin like this.
  20. gregkoko

gregkoko

Can we talk about how crazy it is that the Founders thread has practically the least amount of posts of any brewery thread on this forum? I mean, I get it because they've been making some pretty crappy Backstage beers, but just to think of the hype that they used to have even three years ago vs where they are now.