US - Great Lakes Founders Brewery

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by GRDave, Nov 5, 2013.

1. jdd419

jdd419

Yeah you still need to add for tree house :)

GRDave likes this.
  2. jdd419

jdd419

I figured they have, just funny it's not a yearly release. Oh well FIS and FBS are still staples in the house.

Scalzo, joe, GRDave and 2 others like this.
  3. Scalzo

Scalzo

I remember this post from the latest Blushing Monk release, i bet that beer has reached ghost whale status by now, rite?

GRDave likes this.
  4. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops

Isn't it interesting how Blushing Monk was some sort of mini whale before the 2015 release? And yet I bet I could still find bottles of the 2nd release at stores within a 15 minute drive of GR. Amazing how things have changed in 5 years.

beerindex, Scalzo, thebandit1 and 3 others like this.
  5. Jb123

Jb123

Blushing monk with 2-3 years age to me is absolutely incredible

6. steimie

steimie

Although I assume they made a shit ton more of it in 2015 vs. the original release.

7. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops

Likely true. Does this prove that "rarity" makes beer taste better?

GRDave and thebandit1 like this.
  8. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini

Does anyone actually believe that rarity = better tasting?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy ticking rare / unique beers as much as the next person, but I've been under no delusions that they taste better for quite a long time.

Usually, they are disappointing compared to any hype they may have received.

9. jdd419

jdd419

Mega whale. I have 3 left from the 8 I bought. I love that beer. Never had the original but I'm glues sing it's just as good.

I'm guessing your saying someone posted sometging similar this not directed at me.

10. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB

I'm totally with you there. If a beer has a mega whale status, MOST of the time I've been left disappointed. Blackberry from New Glarus was one that lived up to the hype, also KBBS from TG was another.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  11. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops

I've definitely been to bottle shares where lousy tasting but difficult to obtain beer was highly praised/rated.

Gonzoillini, Scalzo and Jb123 like this.
  12. GRDave

GRDave

Really, isn't this the thinking that brought us all to this magical place. To get away from the madness and just enjoy the beer we have in front of us, no matter how common. Of all the times I've been to bottle shares where rare bottles were involved, I can probably count on one hand, the times that the beer took center stage. Its usually the people, the jokes and all the laughs that made the time special.

Gonzoillini, MarcatGSB and Jb123 like this.
  13. Scalzo

Scalzo

meh, people suck

save the whalez

14. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops

I've been to two kinds of bottle shares.

The first kind is with loose acquaintances where everyone is expected to bring their best bottles. Most of the beer if highly regarded or difficult to obtain and yet a fair amount of it never lives up to the hype. Obvious flaws and off flavors are overlooked as the parade of 5 star ratings blows up my Untappd feed. There is that one guy bragging about his rack of 3F and Cantillon Gueuze in the cellar and yet he has never heard of, or tried, Lindemann's Cuvee Rene, Oude Beersel, or Hanssens? And then there is the other guy bragging about how he won this and that trade. There are a lot of people there, bottles pop constantly as we enjoy our thimble tasters of beer. After a few of these, I started declining invitations.

The second kind of share is with 3-5 friends that share similar interests outside of beer, we have known some of these people for over 20 years and just happened to make the switch from Miller Lite to Two Hearted about the same time in life. We set specific bottles aside for those time when we can actually all be in the same place at the same time. Our wives come as well, talk about what women talk about. We laugh and make fun of each other. We enjoy good beer and are honest (and maybe disappointed at times) about the beer we are drinking. The only thing that really stops us from staying up all night is our aging bodies and babysitter curfews.

beerhan, dgoogle, GRDave and 2 others like this.
  15. Scalzo

Scalzo

Sounds awful, usually the people I drink quality bottles with are accustomed to the pitfalls of acquiring them, and realize that they dont make or break the evening. and that its just beer. We will enjoy poking holes in the bad ones just as much as we enjoy drinking the good ones

GRDave likes this.
  16. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops

I can recall one particular bottle, the defects/off flavors, and justifications on how it was "still good".

17. Scalzo

Scalzo

prolly just "needed time"

18. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops

Haha, and then there are the guys that bust out the 5 year old BBA stouts that taste like cardboard.

19. GRDave

GRDave

FOUNDERS BREWING CO.
    NEW BEER RELEASE: FROOTWOOD
    Posted on October 21, 2016 by Founders Brewing Co.
    Cadre,

Over the last few months, we’ve been hinting that 2017 is going to be a year full of incredible beers – and we’re ready to share the first of those with you. While you’ll have to wait until the new year (January, to be precise) to get your hands on this one, here’s a glimpse at the latest addition to our lineup of barrel-aged beers.

Introducing Frootwood:

[​IMG]
    We took a crisp, light-bodied cherry ale and hid it away in oak barrels that have held both bourbon and maple syrup. After a lengthy stint, it emerged a changed beer, blanketed in notes of warm vanilla and earthy sweetness. The wood proves itself the star of this beer, adding depth and taming the tart cherry while the maple imposes a velvety texture that lingers for not a moment too long.

Frootwood will be available in some states as early as January, with remaining states seeing it by February. We plan to release it in our taproom on January 25, 2017 and will have a suggested retail price of $14.99/4-pack and $11.99/750mL bottle. That’s right, you’ll be able to find Frootwood in both 4-packs of 12oz bottles and single 750mL bottles. You asked, we listened!

20. Jb123

Jb123

I'm interested!

thebandit1 and lambandtunaphish like this.