Founders' Rare Barrel Society

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbitrator

Not Patrick
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone is as excited as I am that Founders is coming to the Bay Area.

This thread is intended to have a small group -- a society, if you will -- of people who will keep an eye out for their rare, barrel-aged releases. Drop your sightings, comments, etc. in here.

I'm sure everyone is as excited as I am that Founders is coming to the Bay Area.

This thread is intended to have a small group -- a society, if you will -- of people who will keep an eye out for their rare, barrel-aged releases. Drop your sightings, comments, etc. in here.

not in the Bay Area so i probably can't join your society but just an FYI that Founders appears to have stopped making all barrel aged beers except KBS and Backwoods in favor of 750 mL releases of IPAs that are old by the time they get to the shelf, and cans of IPAs, which also look like barrels, I guess. so you might want to rename this "Founders' Rare Barrel(s) of IPAs Society."

Founders appears to have stopped making all barrel aged beers except KBS and Backwoods in favor of 750 mL releases of IPAs that are old by the time they get to the shelf

Sorry, but I've survived the Firestone Walker treatment of the Bay Area. This doesn't scare me.

Really excited for Founders Porter, and maybe even KBS.

So I hear KBS is dropping in the recent coming-to-the-Bay. Hopefully it's plentiful enough to find when I get back into town.

So I hear KBS is dropping in the recent coming-to-the-Bay. Hopefully it's plentiful enough to find when I get back into town.

It's tapping around 4 different bars in Sacramento this week and next. Yet, no word about Alameda County at all. I guess we have been forgotten about.

Hooray! It's finally here!

HIpzOYR.jpg

Prices seem very reasonable. The store I went to only got a single case of KBS, so I don't know how widespread it is.

The Centennial was bottled on 9/3, so not quite as fresh as I was hoping. But still pretty good!

On the lookout for Blushing Monk... (same store had a keg, but no bottles)

KBS sucks. Have you guys never had?

The real Founders ticket is the Harvest Ale. Man that is some lupulin juice. And then FIS.

They are doing tap takeovers with KBS all over the Bay during the next few weeks. They do a good job updating their website.

To be honest, I'm not even sure I like barrel-aged beers (BA Bigfoot tasted pretty gross to me... Prairie Apple Brandy wasn't bad though), but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try a beer that was so well regarded. Especially for like 4 bucks a pop.

HIpzOYR.jpg

Prices seem very reasonable. The store I went to only got a single case of KBS, so I don't know how widespread it is.

The Centennial was bottled on 9/3, so not quite as fresh as I was hoping. But still pretty good!

What store?

You need some All Day IPA in your life. No idea what stores got what SKUs but if you see a 15 pack of cans, buy it.

Did you try it on tap? If you enjoy it, I believe bottles will be around, but I'd put it firmly in the try before you buy category. Having committed to a 22oz bottle while traveling a couple years ago and only needing about 2oz to regret my decision, I speak from experience. YMMV.

What store?
Aren't beer geeks supposed to be like mushroom hunters? You know, super protective of their favorite spots?

Well, anyway, K&L has a bunch of Founders bottles right now for pretty cheap. No KBS though. ;)

You need some All Day IPA in your life. No idea what stores got what SKUs but if you see a 15 pack of cans, buy it.
Oh, I saw one of those! Might be a bit too much IPA for me right now. Maybe when I get through the Centennials...

Did you try it on tap? If you enjoy it, I believe bottles will be around, but I'd put it firmly in the try before you buy category. Having committed to a 22oz bottle while traveling a couple years ago and only needing about 2oz to regret my decision, I speak from experience. YMMV.
Eh, I don't mind playing the gross beer roulette. Cheaper than going to a bar, anyway!

Aren't beer geeks supposed to be like mushroom hunters? You know, super protective of their favorite spots?

Well, anyway, K&L has a bunch of Founders bottles right now for pretty cheap. No KBS though. ;)

Oh, I saw one of those! Might be a bit too much IPA for me right now. Maybe when I get through the Centennials...

Eh, I don't mind playing the gross beer roulette. Cheaper than going to a bar, anyway!
More curious if KBS was at a BevMo. They are spending some cash for introductions to the market.

Ah, dunno, haven't been there yet. The store I went to was more of a mom&pop type place.

HIpzOYR.jpg

There are immense amounts of Blushing Monk turding up store shelves all over New England so I bet you'll get it at some point

Everyone was all nostalgic for that beer, "The best of the Backstage series" and even "The best beer Founders has ever made."

Then it got rereleased....
You must pay attention to a completely different beer world than I. People were down on the 2010 batch, saying it wasn't as good as the OG batch from '07. I didn't even hear anyone clamoring for a third batch and was quite surprised to find out they released one.

I wouldn't mind another batch of Curmudgeon's Better Half (Kaiser Curmudgeon) if they're all out of ideas.

You must pay attention to a completely different beer world than I. People were down on the 2010 batch, saying it wasn't as good as the OG batch from '07. I didn't even hear anyone clamoring for a third batch and was quite surprised to find out they released one.

I wouldn't mind another batch of Curmudgeon's Better Half (Kaiser Curmudgeon) if they're all out of ideas.
...I live in a different city and have different friends?

Anybody see any Founders bottles yet around the Tri-Valley or East Bay?

KBS sucks. Have you guys never had?

The real Founders ticket is the Harvest Ale. Man that is some lupulin juice. And then FIS.
Harvest is amazing. Hoping it makes it out here in a timely fashion. I also love Mosaic Promise. Not sure if it will get bottled ever again, but I really hope it does.

Apparently KBS and CBS were on tap tonight at RWC Harry's. Did anyone go?

Back