GABF 2016

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorM1

Reaction score
So who is going? Pretty sure Steve said he is going again how about you Gene ?

I haven't been keeping track of any events going on that week and most are probably already sold out but may have some free time Wednesday night and Thursday during the day as well as Friday. Staying at the Embassy Suites right across from the Convention center.

Oh and I am flying out this year... no idea why I thought driving 3200 miles round trip in 3 days time would be fun.

Ill be there, going to the Thur and Saturday afternoon sessions as well as the Rare Beer Fest on Friday. Can't wait!

Grabbed two for the member session. The rest of the week will be special tappings, events, etc. Best time of the year for beer in Denver!

Two headed calf - farmhouse ale aged in Sauterne barrels

Legion- Belgian stout aged in pinot noir barrels for 22 months

B/A/Y/S (Black as your soul)- RIS aged in Cabernet Sauvignon Barrels

G/I/A/A (God is an American) - Imperial IPA aged in Mezcal barrels

Love of the damned - Old ale

grabbed tickets for Friday and Saturday member session as well as rare beer. Hope to do special tapping and other fun

Two headed calf - farmhouse ale aged in Sauterne barrels

Legion- Belgian stout aged in pinot noir barrels for 22 months

B/A/Y/S (Black as your soul)- RIS aged in Cabernet Sauvignon Barrels

G/I/A/A (God is an American) - Imperial IPA aged in Mezcal barrels

Love of the damned - Old ale
Wow those sound great! Ill be sure to come by and say whats up on either Thursday or Saturday afternoon!

Got tickets to the Saturday member session as well as Paired.

Other than that, hanging at Falling Rock and cruising breweries on Friday/Sat night.

Haven't decided if I'm flying or driving yet. The drive isn't exactly horrible from Austin @ 12 hours or so (leaving after work Thurs, drive about 6 hours up to the panhandle, and another 6 getting there at noon on Fri), but it certainly is a whole lot of nothing going up there, lol.

Last edited:
Also,

Best new spot to grab amazing beers is The Crafty Fox. They are crushing it with a diverse and extremely limited tap list. The stuff they'll pulling out during GABF is going to be unreal.

If you venture to Fort Collins, I'm your huckleberry for all things.

BREAKING NEWS:

--Denver, CO; WTF?! will be held this year in a two room basement off of Colfax. We're not actually going to tell you what date or what time it is scheduled for. There will be 200,000 tickets sold at $200 a piece. 40,000 VIP tickets will be available for $800 a person and come with a souvenir bag. The shirt guy will not be there again, so if you were hoping to waste an hour+ of your life waiting for someone to make a non-unique shirt for you in real time, you're out of luck.

We're also on the lookout for volunteers to come in early (even before the VIPs) and drink all the beer. You'll have to set up a few tables, but other than that we'll give you free reign to try as many beers as you'd like and to stumble around drunk for the entire duration of the event. Sign up now.

Brewery names will be posted under the tablecloth at their table. You'll actually have to walk up to the table, lift up a table cloth to figure out what brewery you've reached. We will also be doing fills for all Crooked Stave Cellar Reserve members who bring their 40oz growlers:

Some ******** CS Petite Sour varietal: $250
SARA: $300
Rare Barrel: $350
Ale Apothecary: $475
St. Bretta Fall: $40

If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at [email protected]. But be aware, we will not respond to anything regarding the event. Hope to see everyone there. We could really use more of your money.

Suckers

-Yetta and Chad.

P.S. There will be 2 port a potties for the event. We'll also be having several food vendors. We've told each vendor to prepare enough food for 30 guests. So get there early!!!

Seriously **** that event.

^

Being in the industry I've learned every brewery is absolutely perfect.

And sarcasm off I realize that it isn't necessarily crook3d staves fault....

But I went to the first wtf and last year's wtf.... I am definitely not gonna buy this year's tickets. Hopefully they figure out how to *read hire a competent event organizer* but I stayed Maybe 45 minutes last year before I said **** this.

On a brighter note I left there went to my hotel room and contacted some peeps at the Bruery. Ended up hanging out with brewers from the Bruery and Patrick Rue that night :)

Last edited:
^

Being in the industry I've learned every brewery is absolutely perfect.

And sarcasm off I realize that it isn't necessarily crook3d staves fault....

But I went to the first wtf and last year's wtf.... I am definitely not gonna buy this year's tickets. Hopefully they figure out how to *read hire a competent event organizer* but I stayed Maybe 45 minutes last year before I said **** this.

As shitty as it was last year, if someone....anyone came out after the event and acknowledged mistakes were made, I'd consider going back. I know it was an outside company that ran logistics and CS(A) just sponsored it. The complete lack of any sort of communication as to why the event unfolded as it did is what's keeping me from considering attending this year.

**** ups happen everyday, but someone needed to man (or woman) up and jump on the grenade and no one did. They just let it all blow over.

Had no idea that tickets sold out so fast to GABF. I guess the only way to get tickets now is from stubhub or scalpers?

Anyone know how much tickets ran last year outside of actually getting them from ticketmaster?

They should be available from people for face for the next couple of weeks and the day(s) of the GABF.

People always buy more than they need, buy for days they don't end up attending, and buy tickets before they figure out if they can actually make it to Denver.

I'd say keep an eye out and you'll find a lot of people selling them for face+fees no problem.

Any cool events scheduled yet? I'll be in town that weekend but not at GABF.

As shitty as it was last year, if someone....anyone came out after the event and acknowledged mistakes were made, I'd consider going back. I know it was an outside company that ran logistics and CS(A) just sponsored it. The complete lack of any sort of communication as to why the event unfolded as it did is what's keeping me from considering attending this year.

**** ups happen everyday, but someone needed to man (or woman) up and jump on the grenade and no one did. They just let it all blow over.
Having gone to WTF last year and the year before, the fact that the 2014 was well run and that was a good venue that year is making me consider going. Looks like they're also limiting it to 800 tickets total this year, so that should help. Have tickets to rare beer fest VIP and Thursday night gabf so far. Should also be at hops and pie Wednesday if they do something similar to last year.

A lot of people here are focused on Thurs & Sat afternoon sessions. Are Fri & Sat evening sessions not as good? What's the difference, tap wise?

(I'm going on Fri & Sat evening.)

A lot of people here are focused on Thurs & Sat afternoon sessions. Are Fri & Sat evening sessions not as good? What's the difference, tap wise?

Less tickets sold for Thursday and Saturday. Evening sessions get a little bit silly with people there to party hard and knockt cups out of hands and such. Less rare stuff usually if you're into that.

Less tickets sold for Thursday and Saturday. Evening sessions get a little bit silly with people there to party hard and knockt cups out of hands and such. Less rare stuff usually if you're into that.

Less rare stuff? Do they not bring those beers to those sessions, or do they just run out faster? How many more people are we talking about? I would've figured competition for rarer, more sought after beers, it would be worse for Thus & Sat due to higher #s of serious beer nerds, especially Sat members only. In fact, I always enjoyed Thurs evening more than Sat afternoon because of that.

Less rare stuff? Do they not bring those beers to those sessions, or do they just run out faster? How many more people are we talking about? I would've figured competition for rarer, more sought after beers, it would be worse for Thus & Sat due to higher #s of serious beer nerds, especially Sat members only. In fact, I always enjoyed Thurs evening more than Sat afternoon because of that.

cebb8fe5-5b66-4740-bf7d-74b1e789414c_text.gif

My preference in order is Thursday evening, Saturday members, Friday evening then Saturday evening. The one time I went to Saturday evening it was a fartfest....literally. Just a very different crowd than Thursday or Saturday members.

Nothing different tap wise. Saturday Night they tend to run out of a lot of beer. You see it Saturday afternoon with everyone drinking all the medal winners when they're announced. I think Thursday night is popular just because it's the first night and a lot more of the industry/brewery people are there.

Some breweries do have special kegs that are only tapped one session.... but it's usually unannounced until the day of and usually it's just a chalkboard or sign announcement.

I know we are only bringing one sixtel of Legion - Belgian stout aged in pinot noir barrels for 22 months. Also only bringing 2 sixtels of Two Headed Calf - Farmhouse ale aged in Sauternes barrels (it's banging btw). Not sure which sessions we will be tapping them.

Next time I see these I'll be at the Denver convention center!

Last edited:
Next time I see these I'll be at the Denver convention center!
That doesn't seem like nearly enough beer for 4 sessions at GABF if by your other post 3 of those kegs are for special tappings on certain days.

And I have no idea how much beer any brewery brings so it could be a lot and I'm just way off.

Just got this from CS for anyone going to WTF!? this season. Partial beer list.

Casey Brewing & Blending-Distant Relatives: Cellarmaker Brewing Collab
Crooked Stave-Blueberry Nightmare on Brett
Grassroots Brewing-Brother Soigné
Hill Farmstead-Anna
Firestone Walker-Krieky Bones
Avery Brewing-Scarlata Cucumis
The Rare Barrel-Map of the Moon
Bell's Brewery-Raspberry Wild One
American Solera-Western Culture
Fonta Flora-Need A Hug
Beachwood Blendery-Chaos is a Friend of Mind
La Cumbre Brewing Co-La Negra Imperial Stout
Alesong Brewing and Blending- Tangled Up in Blueberry
Cantillon- Vigneronne

Thinking about taking the Friday (of GABF week) off and hitting events. Maybe Hops and Pie lunch time and then something after like Denver Beer Co collab event. Anyone know of something can't miss Friday?

Just got this from CS for anyone going to WTF!? this season. Partial beer list.

Casey Brewing & Blending-Distant Relatives: Cellarmaker Brewing Collab
Crooked Stave-Blueberry Nightmare on Brett
Grassroots Brewing-Brother Soigné
Hill Farmstead-Anna
Firestone Walker-Krieky Bones
Avery Brewing-Scarlata Cucumis
The Rare Barrel-Map of the Moon
Bell's Brewery-Raspberry Wild One
American Solera-Western Culture
Fonta Flora-Need A Hug
Beachwood Blendery-Chaos is a Friend of Mind
La Cumbre Brewing Co-La Negra Imperial Stout