AMA Garrett Crowell

Discussion in 'TalkBeer AMA' started by levifunk, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Os

Os

2. degardebrewing

degardebrewing

Not saying you should be in Oregon.
    Not at all. Not that.
    But, maybe you should be in Oregon?

3. Os

Os

[​IMG]

GuzzleMcBrew, Ben, rrrjjj and 5 others like this.
  4. SirDickButts

SirDickButts

[​IMG]

5. Chadzero

Chadzero

How do you like the transition to 5 Stones so far? I really enjoyed Shepard's Boy.

ElkSherpa and thejukes like this.
  6. ElkSherpa

ElkSherpa

Yo!

Glad you're enjoying the beer! Working with Seth/5 Stones has been an immense blessing in this interim. I've been learning a ton about building a brewery from the ground up, and some practical production techniques that I hadn't the opportunity to practice before. Believe it or not, I had never force carbonated a beer before, nor had I brewed a "clean" pale ale. Lot's of new horizons!

Also, some news coming soon regarding the brewery we're building out in good ol' Johnson City...Stay tuned amigos/amigas.

-Garrett

7. Os

Os

when are you coming up here to NJ/NY ElkSherpa?

gregkoko and Steve like this.
  8. thejukes

thejukes

Very excited to check out 5 Stones this evening. Looks like some awesome stuff going on.

PurityControl88 likes this.
  9. IndianaJones

IndianaJones

Any update on this Garrett?

Evahflow likes this.
  10. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

ElkSherpa Going to be visiting the Austinish area in October, any recommendations on places for food or beer? How are those new saison projects in Cuero and Alpine coming along>

11. ElkSherpa

ElkSherpa

Yo! Still working out some infrastructure details on placement and scope of our brewery. Ran into a few dead ends recently, which has set us back a bit, but trucking along nonetheless. It's certainly taking much longer than we'd hoped, which we were told it would from peers in the industry. However, this extended time has been immensely informative. Hoping for an early 2019 opening, which will require some smooth sailing from here on out. Stay tuned!

-Garrett

12. ElkSherpa

ElkSherpa

I'll keep it simple and suggest you visit Papalote for tacos, and ABGB for lager. They're just down the street from one another too.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with any happenings in Cuero or Alpine...what's going on out there?

exitmusic00, PurityControl88 and Os like this.
  13. Lutter

Lutter

Where is the location you're opening out in the Hill Country?

14. ElkSherpa

ElkSherpa

Blanco County! Still working out some boundary and utility details on our physical location, but should have that wrapped up by years end. Then, hopefully, onto build out. It's been a long haul but we're getting real close. Expect some more formal information in the next few months.

-Garrett

15. SirDickButts

SirDickButts

I see you're working with Astral...COOL! cant wait to see what they've got lined up.
    I will prolly give you a shout sometime in the near future.
    My homie and I have 5 acres to work with, but its on well water...
    and I have no freaking clue how the logistics work in that regards :-/

16. ElkSherpa

ElkSherpa

Yep, excited to be consulting for the kind folks over at Astral for a bit as they get up and running. I was born and raised in Houston, so it'll always have a special place in my heart!

If you can get access to municipal water, do it. Well water for a rural, public service entity is an expensive and complicated endeavor. Long story short, we will be purchasing municipal water by the truck load to satisfy tasting room operations. The alternative is drilling a new well that satisfies TCEQ regulations, which unfortunately, capital will not allow upon start-up. Hire a consultant, and it will quickly expedite this process. I'd be happy to put you in touch with ours if you're serious about implementing a rural brewery.

-Garrett

exitmusic00 and SirDickButts like this.
  17. SirDickButts

SirDickButts

OOOOF. Thanks for the quick reply! I will shoot you a message when we are closer to build out.

18. janeinma

janeinma

ElkSherpa what is your current status, still with 5 stones or on your own. We are part of the hordes hitting Austin next month and we were wondering whats going on.

19. ElkSherpa

ElkSherpa

Yo! I still consult for 5 Stones Brewery on occasion, and another brewery in Houston, Tx called Astral Brewing.

We (the brewery I have been planning since leaving Jester King) are currently in design phase of our facility, which will be built from the ground up. I looked for a space for about 1.5 years, and almost secured a really cool building from 1912 that was purpose built as a licorice factory. The building owner backed out once they realized the infrastructural adjustments necessary to make it a brewery, so we decided to build on a rural property where we currently live. These things are a long haul, and we still have a lot of work to do to get things going, but I'm hopeful to be up and running by the end of this year.

In the meantime, this is what I've been up to:

- recording lots of music
    - dreaming of fishing
    - building a small cabin
    - waiting for our goats to have babies
    - working at a super cool wine/cheese shop in Fredericksburg, TX called La Bergerie where I preach the merits of Tomme de Savoie and Loire Valley Cab Franc

While it would have been great to get this brewery up and running much sooner, the delay has been an immense blessing. My perspective has progressed in the time I've spent away from involvement in routine beer production, and I'm beyond excited to share some things I've been working on in the future at our brewery.

-G$