Ghost Whales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSC_93991.jpg

knAK6nI.jpg

Funny, I actually knew about this tasting from monitoring the pending beer list on Untappd. Although I remember their being a number that weren't in this article. Weird, maybe it was a different ghost whale tasting. They seem to happen surprisingly often.

Also, is this the correct use of whom?

And that’s nearly twice the going rate a private collector would charge an acquaintance; in this game, it’s whom you know.

I don't think it's part of a prepositional phrase, so it's not "whom", just "who". Using "whom" incorrectly is one of those hilarious things to me, it seems like the writer just wanted to sound pretentious for no reason.

Funny, I actually knew about this tasting from monitoring the pending beer list on Untappd. Although I remember their being a number that weren't in this article. Weird, maybe it was a different ghost whale tasting. They seem to happen surprisingly often.

I don't think it's part of a prepositional phrase, so it's not "whom", just "who". Using "whom" incorrectly is one of those hilarious things to me, it seems like the writer just wanted to sound pretentious for no reason.

It took the word 'whom' to indicate that the author sounded pretentious? I think that was already a given, around the second paragraph.

It's like when people say "I" instead of "me" because "me" is often used instead of "I" and they are trying to not make a common mistake, but make the opposite mistake instead. Example: "The work was performed by Jeff and I"(or similar) is something I hear so often. There seems to be the assumption that saying "me" isn't ever correct and that I is always proper.

It took the word 'whom' to indicate that the author sounded pretentious? I think that was already a given, around the second paragraph.
Well if you use it correctly it varies between "totally fine" ("ask not for whom the bell tolls") and mildly annoying (pretty much any non-literary use, because, seriously, who is always fine).
It's like when people say "I" instead of "me" because "me" is often used instead of "I" and they are trying to not make a common mistake, but make the opposite mistake instead. Example: "The work was performed by Jeff and I"(or similar) is something I hear so often. There seems to be the assumption that saying "me" isn't ever correct and that I is always proper.
What's better is when it goes the other way, where you actually do want to use I at the end of a sentence, and that's a rule that I remember because of Dinosaur Comics. (For instance, "He is older than I" is what you actually want, because you're just dropping the "am". "He is older than me" sounds odd, because it's really saying "He is older than me am".)

But in your example it's really easy to just replace the phrase with either "we" or "us" and it becomes obvious which you want. "The work was performed by we" might fly if you're the queen of England, not really any other time.

What's better is when it goes the other way, where you actually do want to use I at the end of a sentence, and that's a rule that I remember because of Dinosaur Comics. (For instance, "He is older than I" is what you actually want, because you're just dropping the "am". "He is older than me" sounds odd, because it's really saying "He is older than me am".)

But in your example it's really easy to just replace the phrase with either "we" or "us" and it becomes obvious which you want. "The work was performed by we" might fly if you're the queen of England, not really any other time.

I'm glad this thread has mutated into grammar geekery.

It'll be really funny if someone who's crazy rich ever gets into the whale game. It seems like the upper end is pretty much entirely well-paid professionals, but not people are ridiculously wealthy.

If I ever become super ultra rich these current so called whales will suddenly look like year old cans of Bud Light Lime. I will only consume alcohol made by blind virgins, found inside shipwrecks, or brought to us from the depths of the Amazon by a previously unknown tribe of river otters that have gained the power of speech.

It'll be really funny if someone who's crazy rich ever gets into the whale game. It seems like the upper end is pretty much entirely well-paid professionals, but not people are ridiculously wealthy.

I've been thinking about taking a run at the super rich dude market for private tastings. I reckon if I could get in with some of them they'd pay to send me places to find them beer.

I've been thinking about taking a run at the super rich dude market for private tastings. I reckon if I could get in with some of them they'd pay to send me places to find them beer.
My fiance works for an insurance company that specializes in very high net worth clientele. Obviously one of the common things they deal with are wine collections, and the company actually uses full-time employees and/or contractors that specialize in appraisal of these collections (including taking into account storage conditions). I've talked to her a few times about why this isn't something common for beer or spirits, and her response is that it's simply too young of a "hobby." Even these insane ghost whale hunters who have collections rivaling some mid-level wine collections are so few and far between that there's just not enough accepted information on what something is worth, how rare it really is, etc. for even a company like hers to dedicate time or resources to that specialization.

These conversations always result in me being a little disappointed that I will not be some famous beer appraiser.

All that said: she is constantly telling me to itemize my cellar- embarrassing as it is compared to what the people in the articles deal in- in my house insurance policy.

I liked the article and thought it was a good read though they definitely didn't cover all the ghosts tasted at this. I'm pretty sure they had quite a few more than 6 bottles. They had the 99 Framboos and an 89 as well, DQ, 03 Port Barrel St Lam, VONCK, Unblended lambic, etc etc. that's my recollection at least. How was Vonck not covered in the article? That things cray cray rare. Loerik was there as well...I think they also tore into Pikkulintu, and more.

I liked the article and thought it was a good read though they definitely didn't cover all the ghosts tasted at this. I'm pretty sure they had quite a few more than 6 bottles. They had the 99 Framboos and an 89 as well, DQ, 03 Port Barrel St Lam, VONCK, Unblended lambic, etc etc. that's my recollection at least. How was Vonck not covered in the article? That things cray cray rare. Loerik was there as well...I think they also tore into Pikkulintu, and more.

Vonck was in NY (Joel66). This article is about a different event. Also I don't think anyone had an '89 Framboos - GrumpyOldTroll and a few others had that at de Heeren.

yes i believe you are combining two tasting lineups. at the Vonck tasting(MonkeyBar) we had

Vonck, 1992 Cantillon kriek(red label) 1983 cantillon Frambois w/ Vanilla added, brabantiae, 03 port st lam, 98-2001 3fOG, millenium and 2002 OGV. amongst others Sean9689 Quackus callmemickey

Loerik, dq, and some other extremely rare beers were opened at the "ghost" tasting in December Forgetfu , gn0sis

yes i believe you are combining two tasting lineups. at the Vonck tasting(MonkeyBar) we had

Vonck, 1992 Cantillon kriek(red label) 1983 cantillon Frambois w/ Vanilla added, brabantiae, 03 port st lam, 98-2001 3fOG, millenium and 2002 OGV. amongst others Sean9689 Quackus callmemickey

Loerik, dq, and some other extremely rare beers were opened at the "ghost" tasting in December Forgetfu , gn0sis

Clearly my mind thought both tastings were just so amazing that they should be combined into one even more epic tasting. Regardless, I'm jealous of both tastings! I'd love to someday try Loerik, Spuytin, Soleil, Framboos 99', 03 Port Barrel St Lam, but I'd be happy with a taste of SA MMM someday...it just sounds so damn delicious!

Cheers all.

I was at the "Ghost Tasting" too, Joel66 :D

I'm everywhere! :p

Sean i assumed tagging u once woulf suffice. Everyone.knows you charter flights for all ghost tastings :)

Back