Glass washing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2plums4one

Custom Title
Reaction score
All,

So I've tried nearly everything I can think of and our hard water is still making it nearly impossible to fully clean a glass. I have a dish drying/polishing microfiber cloth. Getting pretty frustrated. I use the "filtered" water from my fridge for rinsing but I'm thinking maybe the fridge filter is bad. Any ways to get around hard water, or am I just screwed? Any experience with this out there? Old house on well water.

wow, I feel so fortunate to have a soft enough water supply...sink and a paper towel always does it in one shot...and I clean a LOT of glasses

Looks like I'll try star san. I'm going to get a fresh 3 gallon bucket, buy 3 gallons of filtered soft water, and make the solution. If I keep it sealed, it should work for a couple weeks at least. I guess my other question would be, am I just rubbing out the fingerprints etc, or does this product completely clean the glass? Either way this looks to be a possible solution so thank you. I'm excited to see how running a few of my glasses through this turns out.

If you keep it sealed it should technically last forever. One bottle will last multiple uses also. Don't keep them in their too long it might eat off any logo? I think?

Looks like I'll try star san. I'm going to get a fresh 3 gallon bucket, buy 3 gallons of filtered soft water, and make the solution. If I keep it sealed, it should work for a couple weeks at least. I guess my other question would be, am I just rubbing out the fingerprints etc, or does this product completely clean the glass? Either way this looks to be a possible solution so thank you. I'm excited to see how running a few of my glasses through this turns out.

I wash with hot soapy water, rinse, spray with starsan, rinse. A spray bottle of it lasts weeks and you don't have to worry about knocking it over.

Edited to add: it's sold as a sanitizer, not a cleaner. I always make sure the glass is clean first and then use it.

does starsan remove hard water deposits? Because I would be using hard water to wash and rinse. This has been the struggle all along. not sanitizing, but the hard water deposits.

Thanks Dogfishjoey . Just ordered a pound off amazon prime. Will report back.

While we are at it, it seems my microfiber cloth is starting to leave just a tiny bit of what looks like cotton or cloth residue (could be something else I guess) on the inside of my glasses. If I'm able to get rid of the hard water stains, should I go back to upside down drying on a bar mat, steaming, or continue to polish/other? As of now I'm handwashing the cloth and hang-drying it.

I use the microfiber polishing cloth you mentioned. I'll try that other concoction as well. Thanks man.

My water leaves spots if it stays on the glass for longer than 10 minutes or so. Trick is to rinse and dry almost immediately, and to be thorough. Kind of a pain in the ass but it works.

My water leaves spots if it stays on the glass for longer than 10 minutes or so. Trick is to rinse and dry almost immediately, and to be thorough. Kind of a pain in the ass but it works.
Yep this is the est I can do right now, and it takes a good bit of elbow grease but the only way to not have the little spots.

cry me is correct. Wash,then dry immediately. 100% cotton towels work the best. Also great for cleaning flat screen t.v's.

Since I'm a former homebrewer, I just use my "C-brite" on my glasses and dry with an eyeglass cloth. Seems to practically work every time. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back