Glass washing question

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by 2plums4one, Mar 23, 2016.

1. 2plums4one

2plums4one

All,

So I've tried nearly everything I can think of and our hard water is still making it nearly impossible to fully clean a glass. I have a dish drying/polishing microfiber cloth. Getting pretty frustrated. I use the "filtered" water from my fridge for rinsing but I'm thinking maybe the fridge filter is bad. Any ways to get around hard water, or am I just screwed? Any experience with this out there? Old house on well water.

2. Dogfishjoey

Dogfishjoey

Vinegar, brotein shake ;)

2plums4one likes this.
  3. pmicka

pmicka

Check out this gallery for a side to side comparison of some common washing methods.

ExpBEERiment: Glass Cleaning

rrrjjj, CheapBeerBuzz, Lognar and 6 others like this.
  4. Dogfishjoey

Dogfishjoey

I would have recommended star-San also but doubt most people have it on hand

5. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

wow, I feel so fortunate to have a soft enough water supply...sink and a paper towel always does it in one shot...and I clean a LOT of glasses

6. 2plums4one

2plums4one

Thanks for the input guys, I'll report back.

7. 2plums4one

2plums4one

Looks like I'll try star san. I'm going to get a fresh 3 gallon bucket, buy 3 gallons of filtered soft water, and make the solution. If I keep it sealed, it should work for a couple weeks at least. I guess my other question would be, am I just rubbing out the fingerprints etc, or does this product completely clean the glass? Either way this looks to be a possible solution so thank you. I'm excited to see how running a few of my glasses through this turns out.

8. Dogfishjoey

Dogfishjoey

If you keep it sealed it should technically last forever. One bottle will last multiple uses also. Don't keep them in their too long it might eat off any logo? I think?

2plums4one likes this.
  9. pmicka

pmicka

I wash with hot soapy water, rinse, spray with starsan, rinse. A spray bottle of it lasts weeks and you don't have to worry about knocking it over.

Edited to add: it's sold as a sanitizer, not a cleaner. I always make sure the glass is clean first and then use it.

2plums4one likes this.
  10. 2plums4one

2plums4one

does starsan remove hard water deposits? Because I would be using hard water to wash and rinse. This has been the struggle all along. not sanitizing, but the hard water deposits.

pmicka likes this.
  11. 2plums4one

2plums4one

pmicka likes this.
  12. Dogfishjoey

Dogfishjoey

Pbw can handle that

2plums4one likes this.
  13. 2plums4one

2plums4one

Thanks Dogfishjoey . Just ordered a pound off amazon prime. Will report back.

While we are at it, it seems my microfiber cloth is starting to leave just a tiny bit of what looks like cotton or cloth residue (could be something else I guess) on the inside of my glasses. If I'm able to get rid of the hard water stains, should I go back to upside down drying on a bar mat, steaming, or continue to polish/other? As of now I'm handwashing the cloth and hang-drying it.

14. cry me

cry me

2plums4one likes this.
  15. 2plums4one

2plums4one

I use the microfiber polishing cloth you mentioned. I'll try that other concoction as well. Thanks man.

16. cry me

cry me

My water leaves spots if it stays on the glass for longer than 10 minutes or so. Trick is to rinse and dry almost immediately, and to be thorough. Kind of a pain in the ass but it works.

Beastrsbrew likes this.
  17. FTowne

FTowne

This is all way too complicated.

Jb123, BadJustin, JBPortland and 10 others like this.
  18. 2plums4one

2plums4one

Yep this is the est I can do right now, and it takes a good bit of elbow grease but the only way to not have the little spots.

19. Beastrsbrew

Beastrsbrew

cry me is correct. Wash,then dry immediately. 100% cotton towels work the best. Also great for cleaning flat screen t.v's.

20. BulkCarrier

BulkCarrier

Since I'm a former homebrewer, I just use my "C-brite" on my glasses and dry with an eyeglass cloth. Seems to practically work every time. Cheers!

2plums4one likes this.