Glassware white whales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What glasses qualify?
Original Iris, orange Cantillon balloon, original KBS goblet, wavy hitachino, original OFR glass (although now that there's round 2, maybe this has changed?)....

those are the five that i've seen the most absurd offers for over the years/largest number of people trying to track down...

The HF Willi Becher style glass is apparently a GlassWale

3980.jpg

FWIW, Three Penny (and some other bars, I think) serves Edward in this glass. Is it really whale-ish? I've seen a lot of photos of it in people's collections too.

When I bought it, the people I was with, and the store owner (who is a serious VT homer) just about took out their harpoons and started singing sea shantys

Original Iris, orange Cantillon balloon, original KBS goblet, wavy hitachino, original OFR glass (although now that there's round 2, maybe this has changed?)....

those are the five that i've seen the most absurd offers for over the years/largest number of people trying to track down...
Our Finest Regards? Nice looking glass but I don't see why it is a whale. It doesn't seem to fit with the others.

Our Finest Regards? Nice looking glass but I don't see why it is a whale. It doesn't seem to fit with the others.

I mean, there are (were) very few of them, and a lot of people want them. Again, this may be different now that round 2 of the glass was released, but there were a lotta people looking for them earlier this year. I am no authority on what's a whale and what isn't, I just saw a lot of demand!

A glass whale is: A piece of glassware that everyone wants, but no one seems to have or want to trade if they do.

A glass whale is not: A piece of glassware that a bunch of people have that no one has ever seen or heard of.

The whole wavy/ceramic Hitachino glass thing is pretty hilarious to me. No one wants those because they love Kiuchi beers and want to do properglassware, mang....though, they probably would once they have the glass in their possession. Then they'd be stuck drinking Hitachino a lot more frequently than they ever have. That's amusing to me.

But they do look cool.

I mean, there are (were) very few of them, and a lot of people want them. Again, this may be different now that round 2 of the glass was released, but there were a lotta people looking for them earlier this year. I am no authority on what's a whale and what isn't, I just saw a lot of demand!
Yeah, I'm just curious as to the level of demand. I mean, Fantome and Cantillon make rare beers that have a considerable cult following (and the glassware is also rare), and KBS is one of the most sought after American craft beers. But OFR? A pretty common beer without much of a cult following or legend behind it.

Yeah, I'm just curious as to the level of demand. I mean, Fantome and Cantillon make rare beers that have a considerable cult following (and the glassware is also rare), and KBS is one of the most sought after American craft beers. But OFR? A pretty common beer without much of a cult following or legend behind it.

Hasn't stopped the Hitachino wavy glass

i don't think any glasses are white whales. i think the concept of white whales is that there are so few in existence. this makes sense with beer since people drink them and they become more and more scarce as time goes by, until ultimately extinct. aside from some clumsy accidents glasses don't really decrease in number over time (although many find themselves locked away in a collector cabinet to never see an ounce of beer again so they may appear to vanish).

plenty of glasses are super in demand and could be considered whale-ish, but i'd think that list is pretty short and probably only includes the main pair:
Original Iris
Original KBS

some that could be considered (from my perspective) would be orange cantillon and at one time the filled in fantome ghost, but more came out so that's gone from the list...same could've been said for the BCBS glass and some of the limited run event glasses (like that new black tuesday glass)...but the demand for more results in more orders being placed by breweries and the demand getting filled while the rarity goes down.

OFR, and glasses like that i think are more in demand by specific collectors on these sites. outside of our sphere, i doubt anyone cares about them and i wouldn't put them on the list (although some have sold on ebay for mind blowing numbers). it all comes down to perspective and individual want.

i don't think any glasses are white whales. i think the concept of white whales is that there are so few in existence. this makes sense with beer since people drink them and they become more and more scarce as time goes by, until ultimately extinct. aside from some clumsy accidents glasses don't really decrease in number over time (although many find themselves locked away in a collector cabinet to never see an ounce of beer again so they may appear to vanish).

plenty of glasses are super in demand and could be considered whale-ish, but i'd think that list is pretty short and probably only includes the main pair:
Original Iris
Original KBS

some that could be considered (from my perspective) would be orange cantillon and at one time the filled in fantome ghost, but more came out so that's gone from the list...same could've been said for the BCBS glass and some of the limited run event glasses (like that new black tuesday glass)...but the demand for more results in more orders being placed by breweries and the demand getting filled while the rarity goes down.

OFR, and glasses like that i think are more in demand by specific collectors on these sites. outside of our sphere, i doubt anyone cares about them and i wouldn't put them on the list (although some have sold on ebay for mind blowing numbers). it all comes down to perspective and individual want.
Yeah, I hear ya, and glassware can easily be remade on a whim unlike beer.

am I the only one who finds the shape of this glass infinitely more pleasing than the very slightly different new one?
I agree. I feel the same way about the regular ballon glass. That being said, I would love to get my hands on the Iris Grand Cru glass for my collection.

I've heard, but can't really say personally, that my go-to Intiharing glass is a bit of a glasswhale. Terrapin oversized snifter, someone claimed these were made back in 2008 or something like that? Anyway, I've been told it's hard to find.

my personal glass Moby Dick, do want...

Back