Grateful Dead thread

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by SeaWatchman, Jan 16, 2015.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. joe

joe

Trannies!?!? Dont leave me hangin!! Hook a brother up!

2. snowrs

snowrs

I was at the 7/8/95 show, and even if Jerry wasn't on I prefer to have my last Dead show at Soldier Field with Jerry.

3. thebandit1

thebandit1

Soon.
    [​IMG]

joe likes this.
  4. thebandit1

thebandit1

[​IMG]

In all seriousness, I don't think anyone disagrees with you. I saw Jerry play a few times. I'm 36 now and I realize I was lucky to have seen any Dead shows. With that said, words cannot describe how excited I am for these shows. These shows are how the band wants to celebrate the close of their career. I respect that and want to be a part of it.

5. snowrs

snowrs

I have seen the Other Ones, Further, The Dead etc. I would prefer that they keep it that way. I understand a lot of people are stoked for these shows but for me The Grateful Dead has Jerry, the other forms that they take are awesome but they are not The Grateful Dead.

I feel blessed that my life lead me to Chicago for that summer of 95, I am from Maine and was working a summer job for my grandfather. That show was not my favorite and that whole tour had a bit of a weird vibe see Deer Park, but it deserves to stand on its own.

6. SeaWatchman

SeaWatchman

I mean if it's really a semantics issue between "The Dead" and "The Grateful Dead" it's probably best you're sitting this one out, but for a lot of people who saw them, this is potentially the last chance to see the core four together again. I think we're all just lucky that it's happening. For me it's not about Jerry being there or not, Jerry will always be there. It's about the music, the scene, the memories, and what all of those combined do for the people. It's about the dates, the years, the fact that it's so close to the last show and the last city they got to play with both Jerry and Brent. Is Trey the best choice? Meh, maybe not but he'll do it justice. Would I love it if TC and Donna were involved? Absolutely (ok, maybe not so much Donna), but it's not like this band was ever frozen in time. It was a revolving door for 30 years, and when Jerry died it was shocking, but they were still the Grateful Dead. I'm thrilled that Hornsby is playing with them, and I can't imagine there won't be some other guests that sit in for a song or two.

I know that I will be there as someone who only got the opportunity once, but I'm excited that this will bring a lot of old friends back in touch with each other.

7. snowrs

snowrs

I am not alone in my feelings, and Trey? Really. For those of you who have not seen a lot of shows, I am glad you will get to experience at least this much of the line up, I just question some of what is going on.

Edit: It has been brought to my attention on Dead.net, that they may not be using the name, it is a celebration of 50 years of the Grateful Dead, that would be fitting, I still won't make the trip, I have no interest in hearing Trey sing Dark Star, I too hope Donna and TC make an appearance.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  8. thebandit1

thebandit1

[​IMG]

Are you just butthurt you missed the NKOTB reunion?

pjl44, yamar68, joe and 2 others like this.
  9. SeaWatchman

SeaWatchman

I used the NKOTB reunion from a couple years ago with my fiancée as an analogy and justification as to why I needed $600 worth of money orders by Tuesday. She was not thrilled.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    tosh, gregkoko, joe and 2 others like this.
  10. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

I'm old and this event will make feel younger for a night or three. That's all I need for a reason.

Also ISO half ounce of Shrooms.

FT : 20 hits of liquid.

jivex5k, hamberder, ASUBeer and 11 others like this.
  11. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

Not going to the show. Still interested.

12. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell

13. SeaWatchman

SeaWatchman

Hahahahah "I hope they play Drums and Space for like half the show".

That was good.

tosh, hamberder, thebandit1 and 2 others like this.
  14. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

i flew out for those last 2 shoreline shows before the first "hiatus" and saw bobby play the encore (plus got to see my only spock's brain)...i guess that's as close as i'm getting to this since july in chicago is not in the cards for me :(

15. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

16. thebandit1

thebandit1

The whole thing was brilliant but that fucking line had me in tears laughing.

hamberder and SeaWatchman like this.
  17. SeaWatchman

SeaWatchman

Having one of my student aids decorate one of the envelopes I'm sending today :D

tosh, hamberder, oowtfmate and 3 others like this.
  18. SeaWatchman

SeaWatchman

Ticket request in!

tosh, hamberder, oowtfmate and 4 others like this.
  19. pjl44

pjl44

Came in here to troll Dead fans. I see that an old Deadhead beat me to it.

[​IMG]

In all seriousness, enjoy, fellas. This was the sort of thing I had hoped for years Pink Floyd would pull together, but the acrimony never quite dwindled enough. Then Rick Wright passed. Now I'm just dying for a Gilmour solo show. I get the impulse from Dead purists, but, man, these dudes ain't getting any younger. Take the opportunity to see a celebration like this before a couple of them kick.

20. SeaWatchman

SeaWatchman