Grease Monkeys: Car Repair- Tips, Tricks, Advice

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by BadJustin, May 17, 2018.

1. BadJustin

BadJustin Moderator Staff Member

O shit whaddup! So I looked but didn't see a thread specifically designated for such things so in true TB fashion, there is now!

So piggybacking off of my RTT posts, the wife's 01 Dodge Grand Caravan is throwing misfire codes, specifically P0303 and P0306 which tells me cylinder 3 and 6 are misfiring, those in turn, is causing a "multiple misfire" code to be thrown as well. I followed wires last night and see or feel any corrosion, exposed wires or the like so now that tells me I need to start checking things such as the coil pack, plugs and wires themselves before I start worrying about the injectors, pistons, rings etc.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a coil pack tested to see if it is functioning correctly prior to me buying and replacing the current one? Figured I would start there.

2. BadJustin

davey101 I was told to tag you as you may be able to offer some advice?

Fingolfin, templetondon and FTowne like this.
  3. FTowne

FTowne

If the coil pack looks like it’s the original I’d definitely replace it, since it’s 17 years old, unless it’s really expensive.

I would avoid buying any type of electronic components (coil packs, alternators, starters) from places like AutoZone or Advanced. That stuff is hot garbage. Hit up Napa or CarQuest. Time permitting, check out Rock Auto. They have quality stuff and for older vehicles a lot of their parts are marked down on closeouts.

4. BadJustin

Fair enough, thanks man! I will research cost on one, it is in fact the original.

5. FTowne

FTowne

I bought an ‘01 Mazda pickup last summer and it had a similar issue. Coil pack was the culprit. Good luck homie.

6. BadJustin

FTowne- 25 bucks to 53 on Rock, ordered. Thanks!

7. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4

As someone who works in the industry I can tell you that CarQuest/Advanced and Napa aren't necessarily any better than Autozone. They all have cheap / generic brands (mainly made by Wells) that I highly recomend avoiding unless there is no other option. Autozone carries the Duralast brand coil (made by Wells), a Value craft branded coil (also made by Wells) and a Delphi branded coil (which is original equipment on this application). The Valuecraft is about $10 cheaper than the Duralast while the Delphi is about $20 more. When shopping these stores, make sure you know what you are buying and you can find good parts, they just cost a little more than the store branded part.

8. BadJustin

I thought CarQuest and Advanced were affiliated in some way, so the Delphi is the OEM one,? Good to know. Thanks!

sliverx and MordorMongo like this.
  9. davey101

davey101

Like FTowne said I would do the coil pack and throw some new plugs in while you're in there. Coils are the usual culprit, sadly with the pack you can't just move individual coils around to see if the misfire jumps. Make sure to change the oil soon too since unburnt fuel can make it's way into the oil when there's a misfire.

10. davey101

davey101

Advance owns them.

Phin, Fingolfin, MordorMongo and 4 others like this.
  11. BadJustin

10-4, thanks man. Also discovered the tranny fluid is burnt which is a whole other ball of wax, the misfire and burnt fluid can't be connected, can they?

Gonzoillini and templetondon like this.
  12. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4

Burnt trans fluid is not connected to misfire. Changing the trans fluid at this point could be problematic. If the fluid has never been changed, there are most likely deposits in there that could break loose and cause issues if you put in fresh. We have seen issues like hard shifting, not shifting past a certain gear, and other valve related issues after fluid exchanges when the fluid was not properly maintained. Would advise just leaving it alone and just toping off to correct level if low.

13. BadJustin

Cool, noted and makes total sense, ty. Yeah it seems as though it almost slips at times. Could just be the spitting and sputtering of the misfire being incorrectly interpreted as slippage. I personally haven't experienced it but my wife says it happens. Fluid level is low so that will get topped off.

sliverx, FTowne, Gonzoillini and 3 others like this.
  14. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

This thread is in my wheelhouse.

Yes.

15. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

Unsolicited advice for anyone - be aware that finally giving in and buying a Jeep Wrangler will mean you will need spreadsheets and a secondary income to afford all the accessories and upgrades you can purchase for it.

16. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4

And a on call mechanic and towing service for when it breaks down frequently.

17. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

Thankfully I can do 95% of it but yeah it’s basically like owning a Harley with 4 wheels.

18. mborden

mborden

Plus, just wait until you see the sick fridge magnet they throw in with your order. YEEEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

19. jbeezification

jbeezification

I’m kinda bummed you didn’t tag me in this since I told you almost immediately it was a misfire.

20. mborden

mborden

[​IMG]

sliverx, SkunkDrool, coach and 2 others like this.