US - Great Lakes Great Fucking Taste 2018

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by yeahnatenelson, Apr 8, 2018.

1. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson

Tickets go on sale Sunday, May 6th. Who's going??

2. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

3. maximum12

maximum12

In. For the 10th year in a row. I think. Some of those years are purty fuzzy.

lurchingbeast and yeahnatenelson like this.
  4. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson

Where do all of you line up for tickets? Or is buying tickets only for beta-plebs like old Nate Nelson?

Related: apparently Star Liquor is permanently closed and Wine & Hop Shop won't be selling tickets this year due to heavy constriction on Monroe St.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  5. Dunt

Dunt

Duh

6. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

I usually let rmalinowski4 handle the logistics but since he's out this year, I'm also interested to hear the answer. Don't think I'll be back to Vintage after last year's tent city debacle.

Gonzoillini and rmalinowski4 like this.
  7. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson

I don't like Vintage, but I also think it might be the least worst option:
    • Nobody in line ever gets turned away
    • Across from a 24Hr Hy-Vee with a public toilet
    If I need to endure sleeping in a parking lot with a bunch of amateur drinkers I at least want guaranteed tickets and access to a real toilet if I need to poop. Some of those places don't even set up portas.

8. maximum12

maximum12

We used to go to Steve's when it had the lovely green space next to it; we've been at Vintage the past few years.

Not only is there the Hy-Vee, but you can walk 20 feet & get a real meal & they generally wheel out some solid beer for the weekend. There does seem to be a lot less random stranger sharing here than other places we've been, I have no idea why. It's worked for us.

yeahnatenelson likes this.
  9. Dunt

Dunt

Steve's is where I went the one year I got my Tix in Madison

10. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson

I also lined up at Steve's a few years ago with trickytunadicky and I definitely remember no portas and the nearest toilet was the Target across the street...once it opened at 8AM.

trickytunadicky and Gonzoillini like this.
  11. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

There were portas. But only like 2 and it was freezing. I never left the parking lot, for sure.

And we waited at Vintage, not Steve’s. I have only lined for tickets once. :oops:

rmalinowski4 likes this.
  12. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson

Okay, now I remember: it was Steve's, but I was with Gonzoillini and dvelcich. And there were definitely no portas because I accidentally made eye contact with a girl squatting as I was walking back from peeing behind a neighboring building. This was... 2013?

13. elkhunter36

elkhunter36

Bump

Capital Brewery (500 tickets)
    7734 Terrace Ave. – Middleton
    Please do not line up for tickets before 10:00pm on Saturday, May 5.
    Cork ‘N Bottle (350 tickets)
    855 E. Johnson St. – Madison
    Karben4 (400 tickets)
    3698 Kinsman Blvd. – Madison
    Steve’s Liquor-University Avenue (450 tickets)
    3618 University Ave. – Madison
    Steve’s Liquor-Junction Road (450 tickets)
    122 Junction Rd. – Madison
    The Malt House (400 tickets)
    2609 E. Washington Ave. – Madison
    Vintage Brewing Company (450 tickets)
    674 S. Whitney Way – Madison

Mail Orders
    Mail orders that are postmarked on the first Monday in May immediately following onsite ticket sales* will be processed via a lottery system.

Any mail orders postmarked after the first Monday immediately following Sunday ticket sales are unlikely to be filled. You must include a self-addressed stamped envelope along with a check (payable to MHTG) or money order.

*Mail orders postmarked before the Monday immediately following onsite ticket sales will be rejected

Mail orders can be sent to:
    Great Taste of the Midwest
    Madison Homebrewers and Tasters Guild (MHTG)
    Post Office Box 1365
    Madison, Wisconsin 53701-1365

14. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

I don't think I'm making it up for ticket sales this year. First year I'll be trying my nonexistent luck in the lottery.

15. furley

furley

same here
    schedule just doesn't work out for me this year

just have to find my checkbook

16. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson

Has anybody here camped for tickets at Capital Brewing? I had intended to get tickets there two years ago, but when I showed up (early evening, still lots of daylight) the taproom was closed, there were no employees, no portas, and really nothing to suggest they were even selling tickets the next day other than the confirmation on the GTOMW homepage and a hand-scrawled "Line Starts Here" sign in sharpie on an 8"x10" sheet of paper clothes-pinned to a chain-link fence above a 4" pool of standing water in their parking lot.

After a look of concern shot at me from a local resident I decided to do an about-face and stick with the devil I know.

lurchingbeast and Gonzoillini like this.
  17. furley

furley

went to Capital maybe ...... 6-7 years ago (more?), i think flyingbison

it was probably my least favorite. really not close to anything that's open. one porta-potty, there for some construction project not tied to the brewery, that looked like it was a homeless encampment.

gates to the grounds opened at, i think, 11 otherwise we just stood on the sidewalk and waited. we didn't camp overnight but there were small personal tents there and plenty of people in reclining lawn chairs with sleeping bags.

flyingbison and yeahnatenelson like this.
  18. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson

YES. Now I remember. There was one oddly placed porta, like, a block away from the property. Very sketch.

Gonzoillini and furley like this.
  19. furley

furley

yep
    thing was a war zone

we wound up going to the coffee shop (Barriques??) after it opened

20. flyingbison

flyingbison

Yep, when Travis still worked there.

ETA: Are people really lining up the night before now? I don't think we ever got in line before 3 or 4 am, but that was a lot of years ago. Thank jeebus I'm too old for that shit anymore.

furley likes this.