Great Music of Talkbeer - 1982

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by mattafett, Apr 11, 2018.

1. mattafett

mattafett

Each Wednesday (typically) we'll introduce a new year from 1958 through 2017. Each member selects an album released in that year with a few lines (or more) on why you picked it/enjoy it. Your selection does not have to be the most important release or the most admired release of that year (though it certainly can be), simply an album that grabs you and that you really love.

However, once an album is selected by a member, you must choose a different album.

Together we will compile quite the canon of "Great Music" and, who knows, maybe inspire each other to check out some new artists (or to revisit old forgotten classics).

This week - the albums of 1982

Here is a list of the top albums per Rate Your Music, which is the source I will use to determine an albums release date.

https://rateyourmusic.com/customcha...=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

2. mattafett

mattafett

Holy shit, what a year!! Going to hold my pick for a while.

Try to hold off on your honorable/multiple mentions until the weekend, let more people choose.

3. leftoverburrito

leftoverburrito

Gotta do it.

[​IMG]

Michael Jackson: Thriller

I mean, he's the King of F'ing Pop. And it's a great album top to bottom.

4. coldstorage

coldstorage

Yeah wow... tough year I could really overthink this but gonna just go with the first thing that comes to mind.
    [​IMG]

The REAL black metal. Satanists in mismatched paint rusted out hatchbacks and demonic heshers before sonic youth dweebs half heartedly adopted Norway instead of killing their idols like their idols had instructed them to do.

Fires on every cylinder, so many angles from which to appreciate this masterpiece that has only improved with time. Worship all 4 tracks, or hand in your metal card pal.

(Link to media)

LIF time. The person who posts the OTHER album I really really really really want to post AS THEIR PICK FOR THIS YEAR (not as a separate LIF entry) gets a dealers choice six shipper w/ some hoppy beer, probably a little rustic beauty, and some BA black magic...

EDIT: I'm a poser - just checked and the other pick wasn't from 82 its from next year... but I certainly wont be able to pick it for 83 either as that ones LOCKED IN....

So... new rules for LIF... everyone who follows the rules and posts only 1 album and why they like it is entered. random drawing after mattafett closes this thread next wednesday. Good Luck!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  5. mattafett

mattafett

The very first piece of music I ever bought with my own money.

6. leftoverburrito

leftoverburrito

Definitely was one of the first 5 I bought.

7. coldstorage

coldstorage

Same actually, and still have it. It’s righteously hammered...

8. coach

coach

Man. Gonna have to think on this one for a minute. I'll go ahead and let someone else pick 1999.

9. mattafett

mattafett

That record is great, but not even on my radar.

10. axeman9182

axeman9182

[​IMG]

Iron Maiden- The Number of the Beast

An absolute metal classic with some of Maiden's best material. Run to the Hills has some of the most iconic and air-drumable drum parts in metal history, the title track is an absolute blast, and Hallowed Be The Name set the standard for more progressive metal epics. The opening half of the album is all at least solid as well, Children of the Damned was a highlight of their set when I saw them in concert last year.

11. steimie

steimie

[​IMG]

Richard & Linda Thompson--Shoot Out the Lights

Gut-wrenching songs about love and losing love, written by a couple who were in the midst of losing their love when they wrote and recorded this.

Linda's voice is like an angel--so fragile and yet so strong. Richard's pleading and haunting vocals still give me chills. The lyrics from both of them just cut down to their souls and lay it all right there for us to see and hear. And Richard's guitar...god damn, that guitar. Listen to the solo on the title track and tell me it's not one of the deadliest things you've ever heard played on six strings.

"Walking on a Wire" is probably everything great about this album all in five minutes. Listen to those harmonies on the last chorus. I wanted to pick either 1999 or Nebraska, but I couldn't let this record get away. This is a desert island album for me.

12. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

1982 is a few years before this millennial's birth year, but god damn do I love Toto IV. Always jam out to Africa whenever going for a PR attempt.

And this is a delicious cover

13. Ben

Ben

Back when being mad about shit meant something and wasn't just a constant state we live in.

BrandoSF, DerGundhof, kbuzz and 21 others like this.
  14. axeman9182

axeman9182

Just realized I neglected to post a video and I can't edit anymore, but here's some live Bruce

(Link to media)

15. Stubs

Stubs

Mine was Doggystyle by Snoop which my Mum took from me. Then I took the tape and put the case back where she hid it.

16. ripps1

ripps1

One of my favorite Springsteen albums ever.

[​IMG]

17. coldstorage

coldstorage

Some def rippers so far. 82 is right in the hot zone for the best types of music....

I’d put “greetings from Asbury” above ”Nebraska and “i want to see the bright light tonight” above ”shoot out the lights” in strong enough positions that I couldn’t take those for 82 picks as my own but both albums are permanently in rotation at home for sure and it’s a thrill to see em posted.

The maiden pick is tough... obviously 100% essential, but I just can’t put it before Fate. It’s a photo finish, but the devil always wins...

BrandoSF, Padraig, Arbitrator and 6 others like this.
  18. ripps1

ripps1

Greetings is an awesome album. For me it's Darkness>Nebraska> Ghost of Tom Joad>Greetings.

I can't decide between the Maiden and Fate album. They are both great.

BrandoSF likes this.
  19. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

This one isn’t based on the album/music itself, it’s purely what the album meant to me. I am a touch older than most of you and I was 12 when this came out. I waited in line for it, I will literally never forget that day and then rushing home to spin it. Was it great? At the time fuck yes it was. I was bitter I never got to experience Led Zeppelin live (original) and they were a huge influence on my life, rivaled only by the Dead and Floyd in terms of time I’ve spent listening to them.

And honestly the album isn’t too shabby ;)

[​IMG]

(Link to media)

20. Ben

Ben

Sorry I am so late to joining these threads. This is fun. 1982 was a really good year for reggae.

Not reggae, all dub. Discovered Scientist thanks to Grand Theft Auto III of all places and have been vibing ever since.