US - Great Lakes Great Taste of the Midwest

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Dunt, Aug 3, 2015.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. BurgerTime

BurgerTime

Have extra ticket to Great Taste. Face value. Let me know ASAP. elkhunter36 ?

Gonzoillini and elkhunter36 like this.
  2. elkhunter36

elkhunter36

We are all set thanks!

Gonzoillini and BurgerTime like this.
  3. Dbijnagte

Dbijnagte

Guys looking for tickets on the bike path.

4. vav

vav because the trump thread deserves a pulitzer Contributor

I am not there but the wife is :(

5. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

I had a fun time and drank a lot of bad beer.

Timed tappings still suck.

6. furley

furley

skipped all the timed tappings
    wandered by Central Waters to see what they had. grabbed a quick beer next door, turned around to check the line and couldn't see the end of it.

congrats, guy #875 in line. you're going to waste an hour and wind up not getting the beer anyways.

7. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

Skipped all the timed tappings, drank 99.99 stuff from breweries/meaderies I have had before. I bought the least amount of 537 sauce ever and it might be my new favorite. whoops.

8. Tooch4321

Tooch4321

Drank beer from places I didn't know, drank even more kombucha from people I do know, left an hour before it was over, ate a bunch of chicken at my father-in-laws, I win...

9. Lansman

Lansman

Highlights:
    • Surly ring toss!
    • Revolution - very well planned out, great beer all over with little to no wait.
    • Real Ale Tent (albeit a bit smaller than previous years)
    • Weather
    • General logistics - easy to get in, very efficient, enough toilets, etc.
    • Beer from lesser known breweries are getting generally better, which means you no longer have to wait in line for whalezbrah to drink good beer all day long
    • Breweries separating specialty beer with mainstays to allow for folks to try more offerings without having to wait (Founders, Goose, Lakefront, etc.)
    • A good batch of Claire's Thirsty with no line all day
    • The way Surly handled timed tappings. Man those lines went quick - they had the process down to a science
    • No one caring much about the Founders timed tappings - thank you I'll just drink Backwoods and DKML until they run out sure
    • $60 is a great bargain for this amazing event
    Not-so-Great-Things
    • Timed tappings. Way to solve this - rotate the specialty stuff in randomly so that there isn't a constant line all day long. Perennial did this a couple years ago and if you were in the right place at the right time, 'congrats' you get to try BAA or whatever
    • Seemed like there were more people this year but I'm pretty sure the tickets sold has remained the same - perhaps the gorgeous weather had something to do with it - fewer people not using their tickets
    • Long lines everytime I walked by the following breweries: Pipeworks(?), Central Waters, Three Floyds, Toppling Goliath, Perennial, others I'm sure I'm missing but those were the standouts
    • One taxi line upon exiting that looked to be about 1/4 of a mile long
    Great time as always, I'm sure there is a bunch of stuff I'm forgetting but those came to mind from the start.

Looking forward to next year!

10. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

And some folks think if there is no line it must not be hype. I had a great time mostly drinking favorites and special stuff from old favorites (and Forager) but everyone fests different. Had a kickass time and waited no longer than 5 minutes for anything. Broke up the day by chatting with people to keep from going overboard.

11. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

I'll be the cynical jerk and say I think these breweries want a line all day. Makes the ego feel good to see all of these people wanting our beer.

12. furley

furley

the imp stout they were pouring was my favorite beer of the fest

13. Tooch4321

Tooch4321

My wife did say fuck this stupid line for those dumb, gold Bell's hats and just used ninja skills to zip in and out with like a dozen of them. She then proceeded to randomly pass them out to strangers...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  14. Dbijnagte

Dbijnagte

Love the guys at Forager. It's a 90 minute drive from the city and they aren't legally allowed to distro but a group of friends usually take turns making runs down there for crowlers. Let me know if you guys are searching for anything trickytunadicky furley

15. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some pictures of the calm before the storm when the general public was let in at 1pm.

[​IMG]

Off Color's (read Laffler's) annual beer cocktail that sits out in front of the tent during the brewers setup / VIP session, and the Gin and citrus was jumping out of the glass on this one.

[​IMG]

Later in the afternoon picture of Benny Hill (John) and dvelcich sharing a moment.

Always a great event, and this year was no exception. The weather was beautiful, the beers were good, it was well organized and didn't see too many issues from my vantage point. Half Acre's Enigma hopped Daisy Cutter, Bell's Rum Barrel Aged Bear Stout with Cocoa Nibs, the beers from Forager (both at the Funk Factory event and at Great Taste), and Mikerphone's honey barrel aged Imperial Stout were all things that stood out for me throughout the afternoon.

The Real Ale Tent had more duds than I remembered in the past, but could have just been the stuff I was trying.

All in all still my favorite beer festival of the year.

maximum12, dvelcich, zieglemt and 2 others like this.
  16. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

Word from a friend in the club is rhat breweries have been tapping their casks timed at their tents so they get credit. Whatever. Cask Two Hearted was awesome. And I got a kiss on the cheek from Benny.

Powz87 and Gonzoillini like this.
  17. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

Isn't Eille their take on a bee's knees cocktail? That definitely went on around 3. I'm pretty sure they even bottle it.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  18. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini

True, but this keg was Eille with additional citrus and at least a bottle of Gin (if not more than one...) added to it. God bless this tradition going back to the Margarita Sofie days.

19. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

They did label it sometime between when I got pour 2 and pour 3. ;)

EDIT: NO RAGRETS

lurchingbeast and Gonzoillini like this.
  20. Tooch4321

Tooch4321

They also had a gin/sake concoction too...

lurchingbeast and Gonzoillini like this.