US - Great Lakes Great Taste of the Midwest

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Dunt, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini

A few thoughts on this years Great Taste of the Midwest in no particular order.

The early admission for brewers is absurd and literally let me try almost everything I wanted (that was tapped at the beginning of the day) before 1pm.

Off Color brought it strong as always and the Blackout Juice they had for folks to pour from before the general admission was nuts (think it was something to the effect of Fierce, Grapefruit, Tequilla, Bitters). Margarita beer in the morning was fantastic. Double Two Hearted from Bells was everything I was hoping for as well and wasn't as sweet as I was expecting.

New Glarus Champ du Blancs was possibly my favorite beer of the day with the Barrel Aged Third Coast Old Ale coming in a close 2nd. The Leinenkugels 2012 Big Eddy with Cocoa, Cinnamon, Chilie was the most surprisingly good beer I had.

White Winter Meadery is the best secret of the festival and I probably had about 5 Meadjitos throughout the day with no line even though they had some great vintage pours from 2005, 2009 and 2010.

Blind Pig Brewery is doing some really tasty stuff in Champaign IL and I'm hoping for continued success for their stuff as it's always tasty.

stxSS07, zieglemt, Marksy and 2 others like this.
  2. Tooch4321

Tooch4321

Speaking of R&D Champ du Blancs, anyone in Chicago willing to swap a bottle for last year's R&D BBBBBBBBBBBBB?

3. furley

furley

this has been bugging me for the last 10 days.. anyone know the guy wandering around the fest grounds that was sporting the Wisco hat with what looked like a wooden badge in the shape of the state?

4. ChaQuiseman

ChaQuiseman

Bumpin this thang with a few questions:

Rather than doing the mail order thing this year, I'm contemplating making the drive to Madison to buy tickets on the 7th. Does anyone have recommendations as to which of the various ticket sale locations would be my best bet? Are these ticket sales typically a shitshow (i.e. should I be getting there super early)?

Really, I'm just using this as an excuse to eat at Salvatore's Tomato Pies again.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  5. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

Ridiculously early is my plan.

rmalinowski4 and elkhunter36 like this.
  6. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini

Last time I went up for tickets (two years ago?) a number of folks (lurchingbeast rmalinowski4 fear025 trickytunadicky Alum) all went to Vintage Brewing Company as they allow folks to camp outside and drink inside until they close and outside until the next morning when they line folks up (and they had a decent breakfast for folks to enjoy). You had to be there by 4amish to guarantee tickets as I recall, but my memory is hazy at best.

I made my peace that I wouldn't be doing the overnight line thing anymore, and if I couldn't secure tickets through a friendly brewery I would bite the bullet and pay secondary market pricing as it is my favorite beer fest of the year.

7. Alum

Alum

I actually like going to Steve's Junction Road.

I think we just generally see you guys after since we eat at Vintage before we head back.

Not sure if I'm going up this year. Hell, not sure I'm even fest bound. They got a pretty neat Tiki Conference in San Diego that weekend I've been intrigued by.

trickytunadicky and Gonzoillini like this.
  8. sjstraub

sjstraub

I was at Vintage around 3 am last year. Was just beyond the half way point I believe. Fills up fast in the 4 to 5 am hour.

The previous 3 years I've done the wine and hop shop on Monroe St. I want to say about 415 was the cutoff there 2 years ago, but from what I heard it was much later last year.

I also think I heard that Capitol Brewery didn't even sell out until later in the afternoon. Maybe someone here can confirm that.

rmalinowski4 and Gonzoillini like this.
  9. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

They usually take head counts and move tickets around, but maybe they stopped doing that.

10. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4

If I member correctly, there was a lot of rain last year. I member hearing that the Capitol lot was flooded and everyone that was planning to go there overnight bailed for other locations.

sjstraub likes this.
  11. Dbijnagte

Dbijnagte

Booked my non refundable hotel room. Now to find tickets...

12. sjstraub

sjstraub

I'm planning on being at Vintage with some friends at 4:30 on Sunday. I'd be happy to share with anybody, feel free to message me. Otherwise, good luck all on tickets.

rmalinowski4, furley and BurgerTime like this.
  13. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

Arrived at 4:30 am at Vintage, #187. Shits crazy.

14. sjstraub

sjstraub

I was here at 4:08. #173

15. sjstraub

sjstraub

Just for future reference, saw this tweet:

Gonzoillini and lurchingbeast like this.
  16. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

I think Steve's was about an hour behind us at Vintage as far as numbers go. I'm always worried about going to the places with less tickets though.

Gonzoillini and sjstraub like this.
  17. furley

furley

what can be done about line cutters?

i'm not a zealot about it or anything but it got a little ridiculous this year.

lined up around 3:30. at the point where i arrived a number of people were getting there at the same time. put my seat down behind two guys and commenced waiting.

over the course of the next 60-90 minutes, the two chairs in front of me swelled to a group of 14. there must have been others ahead of them that hopped in after i got there. at arrival i was comfortably somewhere around #30, perhaps in the 20s even. by the time the wristbands came out at about 9 AM i was #58.

if you're posting up with a couple chairs while your buddy/s.o. parks the car, no big deal. if you're putting out a chair and your friends roll in over the course of the rest of the morning, thus pushing people near the cutoff right out of the mix... what can be done short of verbal/physical altercation?

should the homebrewers guild have line "security" out there? should the venue?

relying on people to do the right thing seems to be out

18. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

Just for reference, which place were you at?

This has become the norm at beer events for years now. People think they can show up later on with donuts, coffee, whatever and join their friends in line. The tent game has been played since the non-ticketed KBS days. A three person max tent suddenly has 10 people standing in its place. rmalinowski4 counted the tent city at 5 am and we figured with 4 people to every tent, we'd be around 120. Again, we ended up 186-188.

It's total bullshit, but it happens regularly. The venues are just helping the homebrewers guild and the homebrewers guild is so antiquated, they have to stop every 50 people to recount cash and still sell tickets by mailed checks like it is an 80's Grateful Dead tour.

19. sjstraub

sjstraub

What lurchingbeast said. Short of getting a volunteer to act as line police, handing out bands as people arrive and verifying they stay in line, I don't think there is a solution. Alternatively, you could move to 100% lottery, but I doubt anyone wants that.

I would also guess about 30 tent cutters at my location. I expected to be around 150 based on my count, was abput 25 higher.

Gonzoillini, lurchingbeast and furley like this.
  20. furley

furley

short of counting on people to not be bags i'm not sure there's an alternative outside 100% lottery