US - South Greater New Orleans Visitor's Guide

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by EgadBananas, Nov 15, 2013.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. nophunk

nophunk

bramsdell if you’re staying in the bywater, you’ll be really close to Parleaux. They are worth checking out for sure. There’s no new breweries that are an absolute must imo. Spotted Cat is a cool venue on Frenchman. There’s a large concentration in those few blocks, most have something decent going on.

bramsdell likes this.
  2. Dbijnagte

Dbijnagte

Courtyard brewery was pretty good while we were there and food at Cochon Butcher (not the main restaurant) as well as Toups were both fantastic if you’re looking for something different from the usual fare.

bramsdell likes this.
  3. bramsdell

bramsdell

Thanks, man. Parleaux was what got me to ask around. I'll check out for sure. I loved the Spotted Cat last time I was in NOLA

Definitely enjoyed Courtyard and will likely return. Thanks for the tips.

4. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

Most of the really big cemeteries are in mid city. If you make it that way there are a number of them you can walk between and with a little hike you can make it to city park. You could also hit up 2nd line brewery in the area and bring a beer into the cemetery if you wanted to.

bramsdell likes this.
  5. libbey

libbey

Bacchanal is a must hit in the Bywater IMO

http://www.bacchanalwine.com/#about-marquee

Also really enjoyed Vaughn’s for a local dive bar

LSUPT, bramsdell and Der Fuchs like this.
  6. bramsdell

bramsdell

Last time we were there, we went to a cemetery, but I don't remember where it was. Did not make it to 2nd Line. We walked up from Bourbon St. to City Park and it was awesome.

Loved Bacchanal and plan to return.

libbey likes this.
  7. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

if it was near downtown it was most likely st louis #1 or 2. those are the busy ones close to everything, #1 is where Marie Laveau is buried. If you hit the cemeteries near city park you could have gone to any of the dozen-ish ones around here. You can take a streetcar all the way down canal st to get to those, or walk the greenway from downtown to mid city. If you do make mid city i would recommend hitting up Holt cemetery. Its a paupers cemetery that has people buried in it from every war the US has ever fought. There is also a really high chance you will find lots of crazy voodoo shrines and quite possibly open graves. it isn't uncommon for the bones to float to the surface there. It's eerie as anything. It's also real close to some fantastic restaurants. Some other areas decent for walking could be freret st, magazine st, or oak st. (parts of them more specifically, 2 of those are long streets).

lurchingbeast and bramsdell like this.
  8. bramsdell

bramsdell

My mistake - we're staying near Lafayette Square (I'm not sure what neighborhood it qualifies as - CBD?). Basically Poydras and St. Charles.

Looks like Mammoth is only a ~10 min walk away in the AMs and Courtyard is less than a mile (really enjoyed last time).

Any restaurant recs in CBD?

9. Dbijnagte

Dbijnagte

Cochon/Cochon butcher are about 1/2 mile away and were tasty. One is casual one a little fancier.

bramsdell, libbey and lurchingbeast like this.
  10. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

some of these are CBD and some are in the quarter:

Domenica is great for cheap happy hour wood fired pizza, and a big draw for local professionals. its a john besh place. i would also look for any other donald link places (he owns butcher/cochon) like Herbsaint or Gianna. Shaya is another must try if you can get a table, it isn't in that area though (magazine st). Green goddess is another option that should be close to you. it's in exchange alley (or exchange place depending on who you ask). They have always cranked out great stuff. Luke is another decent spot that's actually on st charles if you like french/german (alsacian) fare. restaurant August is also worth it if you have a little more $ to spend on upscale french food. Bayona is another great option too.

have you hit up the avenue pub yet? Its a few blocks past courtyard and well worth the extra steps IMO. courtyard pales in comparison.

also if you make it to the east side of the city (st claude st has a lot of nightlife) check out reds Chinese for the best chinese around or junction for the best burgers. they aren't far from frenchman.

late night must do food is Verti Marte for sloppy poboys. its a local institution for the over imbibed. good food even if you arent drunk.

if you like a muffaletta you have to hit up central grocery. its where they all started.

holla if you will make it out to mid city or the 'riverbend' area (oak st) and I'll shoot you the best places on the DL.

lurchingbeast and bramsdell like this.
  11. libbey

libbey

Great now I want a fried chicken Poboy from Verti

Der Fuchs likes this.
  12. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

Missed you at fest time this year.

libbey likes this.
  13. libbey

libbey

No jazzfest this year did the wedding thing in the fall.

Hopefully next year

Der Fuchs likes this.
  14. bramsdell

bramsdell

You are the fucking man. Thank you! I did go to Avenue Pub last time and really enjoyed it. Perfect weather and great list.

15. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

Did I ever tell you guys the bartender at Avenue put a couple tiny hits of acid on some paper for a friend and I? It wasn't particularly strong and I only got a mild body high, but damned if I'll ever forget that dude.