US - South Greater New Orleans Visitor's Guide

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by EgadBananas, Nov 15, 2013.

1. blue_bleeder

blue_bleeder

Chris, (and any other NO peeps) planning a work trip out your way in March. Will keep you posted.

kuemmelbrau likes this.
  2. kuemmelbrau

kuemmelbrau

Fuck yes. I got a spare room for you if you need a place to stay. Looking forward to hanging again.

blue_bleeder likes this.
  3. SourMilk

SourMilk

Anybody that lives in NOLA want to potentially grab a couple bottles of house of the rising for me?
    Is anybody going for tonight's release of Piety?

I will be driving through the area Monday, but I doubt they'll have any House of the Rising left after tonight... Please PM me if you're so kind.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  4. nophunk

nophunk

House of the Rising has been on store shelves, probably still is by my house. I can check. I'm not planning on heading to the brewery tonight, but it was released there a few weeks back.

5. SourMilk

SourMilk

Okay so hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to find when I'm around. Thanks!

6. deepsouth

deepsouth

kuemmelbrau nophunk The missus and I will be in town April 22-23. The only thing we have planned is dinner at Lilette on Saturday night. We will be staying at Prytania Park.

kuemmelbrau likes this.
  7. kuemmelbrau

kuemmelbrau

Will text.... Again. ;)

8. deepsouth

deepsouth

HA! Looking back, I'm just now seeing that from the 28th of December.

kuemmelbrau likes this.
  9. Tooch4321

Tooch4321

Just got back from your fine city, our AirBnB was directly across the street from Avenue Pub and I wouldn't be to surprised if I drank my weight in Parish Envie, so, so, so damn good...

nophunk likes this.
  10. nophunk

nophunk

New Envie is the truth!

JeffWithey and Tooch4321 like this.
  11. blue_bleeder

blue_bleeder

Will be landing in NO Tuesday night. Driving to Baton Rouge and staying there that night. Then quick shot to Gulfport and then back to NO for the night on Wednesday. Fly out Thursday afternoon.

I know I am gonna touch tips with kuemmelbrau again. Just testing the waters for who else is around.

kuemmelbrau and nophunk like this.
  12. nophunk

nophunk

I should be good to link up Wednesday. Lmk if you dudes make a plan.

blue_bleeder likes this.
  13. zieglemt

zieglemt

Will be in town Friday morning to Tuesday morning for Jazz Fest. Got an Airbnb in Bywater. Unfortunately, most of our (planned) late nights are in the Quarter or on Frenchman so don't think Ill be spending much time Uptown other than Monday.

It's been a few years...anything I should be on the look out for other than Envie apparently? Any craft at the fairgrounds these days?

14. wyatt

wyatt

Zero craft at the fairgrounds. Make and effort to get to the avenue pub.

zieglemt and Ryan_G like this.
  15. Ryan_G

Ryan_G

Staying a few blocks away in May. Good to see their 24 - 7 - 365 hours for morning beers.

blue_bleeder and nophunk like this.
  16. Ryan_G

Ryan_G

Hitting up Avenue Pub for mornings beers either Friday, Saturday and/or Sunday, for a nice break after some mornings runs and avoid wedding shenanigans. Also, staying super close to Courtyard, if anyone is down for tip touching.

wyatt and nophunk like this.
  17. nophunk

nophunk

You got my number. As I said, going to Parish for the new IPA probably early Saturday. There's a chance I may continue onward to Austin/Jester King, hashing that out now. Hit me up Friday, down to touch tips.

wyatt and Ryan_G like this.
  18. HevvyMetalHippie

HevvyMetalHippie

So the girlfriend and I are traveling here right before Thanksgiving. I've wanted to go to New Orleans for awhile, and I was hoping to go around Halloween, but it looks like that's not gonna happen. I saw the initial posts, and will be planning the trip more as it gets closer, but we definitely want to hit up some breweries, some music (Preservation Hall, or is that a tourist trap?) see the Interview with the Vampire house, architectural/historical tour, def southern food, see some swampy shit.

What's some cool weird stuff to see? Is there a New Orleans drink like there are regional drinks in Chicago (frozen Negroni, Malort), any local coffee roasters, record stores worth checking out? Again I'm with the GF, so I can't go crazy.

Has anyone gone to Le bon Temps Roule? Is it worth going or is it just a shit hole?

19. Ryan_G

Ryan_G

I had Frozen Irish Coffee, shit loads of hurricanes and other blended drinks serve quickie mart style. Favorite was Disco Lemonade at Rusty Nail. Not sure what it was but I loved it.

Visit Courtyard Brewery. Small little spot with great in house beers and good local gues taps. Friendly people and cool area of New Orleans.

Eat at Cotogna

20. kuemmelbrau

kuemmelbrau

The drink of choice is the cocktail or daiquiris. We invented a lot of them at old-ass fancy bars. (Sazeracs, gin fizz, hurricane, pimms cup) Pres hall is okay, but it is quite a bit touristy. My vote would be snug harbor on frenchman if you want jazz. We also have a bunch of small coffee roasters... Ask yourself if you want chicory or not before you come. Euclid records is cool and downtown, domino records is 10 min from downtown. Bon temps is cool for music, but I would skip it as a bar. Check out a brass band. The Maple leaf is the same story as Bon temps.

I would also say to skip courtyard and go to the ave pub. They are close to each other, and ave kicks courtyards ass in both beer offered and strength of ownership. The courtyard owner is quite the sterotypical California douche bag. But I'm sure he would love to tell you all about how MA and LA beer (and every other beer) is so sub par compared to in caliiiii broooo.