US - South Greater New Orleans Visitor's Guide

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by EgadBananas, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Ryan_G

Ryan_G

Probably why we got along so well!

kuemmelbrau and gregkoko like this.
  2. kuemmelbrau

kuemmelbrau

hay man, im not bustin on cali as a whole.... but just like everywhere else cali does have a very particular brand of douche.

Ryan_G likes this.
  3. HevvyMetalHippie

HevvyMetalHippie

What sort of availability is there on Great Raft and Parish brewing in New Orleans? What about Great Raft Old Mad Joy? Probably the coolest beer label I've ever seen.

4. kuemmelbrau

kuemmelbrau

Parish is easy. Great raft is around but not as easy.

5. HevvyMetalHippie

HevvyMetalHippie

Like hard to come by type of beer, or just something that's not on the shelf?

6. kuemmelbrau

kuemmelbrau

Parish is at every grocery store in the city. GitM will be the only one that is difficult to find as it gets bought up quickly. Great raft is also in most grocery stores, just not to the same extent as parish. Im not sure about the specific beer you are looking for. Hitting up steins deli when you are in town is your best bet for whatever you are looking for... Just make sure you find the back beer room.

7. HevvyMetalHippie

HevvyMetalHippie

How often is GitM released?

8. kuemmelbrau

kuemmelbrau

Seeming about every few weeks. It is best to ask the beer guy at whatever store you are in as they are often held in the back. A lot of the time they won't sell you any unless you are buying other things too.

9. Hornet

Hornet

Zwanze at Avenue Pub...is this an open event this year?
    Somewhat managable at this point?
    I may be road tripping thru there for Zwanze Day, def interested in stopping by.
    Cheers

10. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

Any good places to pick up bourbon in New Orleans?

11. wyatt

wyatt

Not a ton. Avenue is great for drinking bourbon. Great selection and generally reasonable prices.

Buying you can check out keife & company, Vieux Carre, and elios.

FoudreGuy likes this.
  12. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

Thanks. Doesn't need to be Pappy or super rare shit, just maybe a bottle of something nice that doesn't make its way to Seattle.

13. HevvyMetalHippie

HevvyMetalHippie

What's the consensus on:

1: renting a car
    2: finding parking
    3: safety
    4: walking around at night? Read some things saying to cab everywhere and don't walk out of French Qtr?

14. kuemmelbrau

kuemmelbrau

Where are you staying? Like any big city there are places you shouldn't wander into on foot but overall walking around isn't a problem. Parking isn't that bad except for fri/sat nights downtown. No idea about a rental. As far as safety is concerned just don't be obnoxious to the locals, or someone may kick the shit out of you. Leave any trump gear you may have at home. This is a multicultural town and racism isn't tolerated at all. Aside from that just keep walking if some random bets you they can tell you where you got your shoes. Compared to most major cities our crime is waaaay down over the last few years.

lurchingbeast and libbey like this.
  15. nophunk

nophunk

Unfortunately this isn't really true lol. Be smart, don't go to the projects to buy drugs. There are certain neighborhoods you wouldn't want to walk through at night, but there's no real reason you would be there in the first place.

You can rent a car fairly cheaply here. Parking is really easy. I never pay to park if that gives you an idea, even if I'm going out downtown. Uber is way better than a cab.

kuemmelbrau likes this.
  16. kuemmelbrau

kuemmelbrau

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    overall trend is down since 2010. I promise.

i do think my definition of safe and nophunk definition of safe also probably differ based on personality. i work in project stores all the time. Haven't had a problem (even as a white guy with long hair) in the decade i've been doing this. Your safety has more to do with how you act than where you are imo.

17. nophunk

nophunk

You said compared to other major cities. Anyway, we still have tons of violent crime is the point. I guess the way you act is just as important, hard to say. However, I wouldn't advocate taking a stroll through Central City at night solo.

kuemmelbrau likes this.
  18. HevvyMetalHippie

HevvyMetalHippie

Were staying in Central City area :(. House is super nice, neighborhood is a little sketch. We're like a 10 min walk from the Southern Food museum?

lurchingbeast and nophunk like this.
  19. nophunk

nophunk

I mean there are really cool historic homes there. I have friends that live there. Avenue Pub is right across the street. It is pretty ghetto but also rapidly gentrifying. If you are close to St. Charles, that is much better than being deep in the neighborhood towards Claiborne. If you are conscious of your surroundings and not being an idiot, you should be ok. I bike solo in Central City at night all the time for what it's worth. I just said I wouldn't advocate doing that haha! I'm 26 and not a prime target IMO. My parents don't go hang out there though if you catch my drift.

20. HevvyMetalHippie

HevvyMetalHippie

Yeah I mean I'm 31 and the gf is 33, and we're definitely not trying to act a fool or cause problems. And we're both just as bummed out about God King Drumpf, so we're honestly trying to avoid any political discussions.

Thinking about hitting up:

NOLA brewing and Urban South before Hitting Magazine St?

Went to Domilese's and Toups already

kuemmelbrau and nophunk like this.