Green Flash pulls out of 33 states

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerindex

Reaction score
Full article

Beer brewed and packaged in San Diego will ship to Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Nebraska, Nevada, Texas, and Utah. Beer brewed and packaged in Virginia Beach will ship to Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Virginia. These East Coast states have collectively become the fastest growing Green Flash region, benefiting greatly from the Virginia Beach brewery’s first full year of production in 2017.

The Green Flash Brewhouse & Eatery in Lincoln, Nebraska will open as scheduled in the first quarter of 2018, and will brew beer serving the state of Nebraska. The Company is excited to build the Green Flash and Alpine brands in Nebraska, which will serve as the model for future Green Flash geographic expansions.

While I can't say I'm surprised that Green Flash overextended themselves with the Alpine deal, the VA facility, and Nebraska plans, the scale of their pullback is overwhelming. They've stopped serving 2/3rds of states overnight.

I, too, have pulled out in 33 states
giphy.gif

Does that mean no more Alpine in Oregon? I mean, Green Flash basically ruined Alpine, but still... damn.
That reminds me, I actually had a Nelson at a bar last week, and it gave me the #OGNelsonFeels for the first time in years. There was still a twinge of a bitter finish, but it had everything else that Nelson* was missing: great tropical balance, creamy mouthfeel, and perfect attenuation.

I don't know if it was a one-off or what, but holy **** I'm fiending again. I'm planning on going to the GF brewery sometime this week to see if it's the real deal.

That reminds me, I actually had a Nelson at a bar last week, and it gave me the #OGNelsonFeels for the first time in years. There was still a twinge of a bitter finish, but it had everything else that Nelson* was missing: great tropical balance, creamy mouthfeel, and perfect attenuation.

I don't know if it was a one-off or what, but holy **** I'm fiending again. I'm planning on going to the GF brewery sometime this week to see if it's the real deal.
I had Nelson on tap a couple times here when they first showed up and it was pretty solid. Probably not the same, my memory is fuzzy, but it was still good. Of course you don't see it anymore.

I had Nelson on tap a couple times here when they first showed up and it was pretty solid. Probably not the same, my memory is fuzzy, but it was still good. Of course you don't see it anymore.

Before the sale, I thought that Nelson was one of the best beers I've ever had, and with Green Flash, it was still really awesome. I thought the other beers went from pretty great to not that great, or even bad, sometimes. I'm not sure if it was the distributor's fault, but I've had to choke down a particularly gross Duet or Hoppy Birthday before, and that should have never happened.

I think the number (33 states) might seem striking at first but the pullback only accounts for 18% of their wholesaler shipments, so it's actually not that much of a hit. Reducing workforce by 15% and then focusing on more relevant markets definitely seems like the right thing to do.

I think the interesting piece here is who else will be following suit? I think we'll be seeing a lot of the national/almost national brands needing to do something like this at some point in the future given the local and hyper-local shift in brand presence. I read some interesting stats the other day that taprooms and brewpubs now account for 9% of all bar traffic in the US (!!!). This number goes up to 20-35% in some regions, including usual suspects like San Diego and Denver. Interesting to think about the fundamental changes happening in consumption patterns across the industry.

Wonder what this means for their export market. They entered into a particularly uninspiring partnership with St Feuillien to brew core range stuff in Belgium but were still continuing to send US brewed stuff over too.

I haven't bought a GF beer since they stopped making Rayon Vert. Bought a couple Alpine bottles when they came here, but nothing in a long time. We've had a lot of California breweries try to enter the Seattle market in the last few years but aside from Modern Times I don't know many that are successful.

Last edited:
I'm sure this is partly my Seattle perspective, but Green Flash doesn't sound all that exciting to me when you've got Boiler, White Elm, etc.

It's an addition to the "it's Saturday, let's go to Lincoln and hit some breweries!" type of day. My hopes is that they'll brew a bunch of variations on West Coast or constantly have fresh Nelson on tap. If it's just going to be the core line up and a boring burger I'm already disappointed. Big fan of Boiler and White Elm.

Surprised they're not pulling out of Texas....

... I almost never see them on tap in the big 4 cities (SA, ATX, HOU, DFW).

Off-topic but what is there in Lincoln? I'm heading there for a few days sometime this year and have no clue what to expect.

In addition to White Elm, Boiler Brewing is making some great beers. They're right downtown. Zipline and Blue Blood aren't far away and worth checking out.

I think the number (33 states) might seem striking at first but the pullback only accounts for 18% of their wholesaler shipments, so it's actually not that much of a hit. Reducing workforce by 15% and then focusing on more relevant markets definitely seems like the right thing to do.

I think the interesting piece here is who else will be following suit? I think we'll be seeing a lot of the national/almost national brands needing to do something like this at some point in the future given the local and hyper-local shift in brand presence. I read some interesting stats the other day that taprooms and brewpubs now account for 9% of all bar traffic in the US (!!!). This number goes up to 20-35% in some regions, including usual suspects like San Diego and Denver. Interesting to think about the fundamental changes happening in consumption patterns across the industry.

The only widely distroed brands that regularly send stuff I want to buy to GR that I would be upset to see pull out of our market would be the Bruery and Dogfish Head. I'd add Cascade to the list, but I get the distinct impression that they sent a huge shipment of standard stuff a while back and washed their hands of MI, since I never see any of their relatively newer creations that I'd happily spend the money to try, and that other markets seem to get. But when I think about other big brands (Sierra Nevada, Rogue, New Belgium, Anchor, Stone, Ballast Point), and I can honestly say that their disappearance would minimally impact my purchasing habits and satisfaction.

I happen to buy a fair amount of local craft because that takes up so much shelf space and is most conducive to my inclination to tick, but I'd be perfectly happy to spend 100% of my beer budget on non-local beer assuming favorable distribution conditions. The problem is that non-local breweries tend to ship too sporadically, they often send stuff that is already old (Alesmith introduced themselves to MI last month with a pale ale that was close to 3 months old at launch if memory serves), and there is often a premium that is hard to justify compared to the local stuff (Almanac being especially brutal). And so between those negatives and the internal distribution of Michigan breweries (Transient and Ellison especially) improving a great deal, I feel like I'm being forced into buying local without being terribly enthusiastic about it, since my favorite breweries aren't local.

They still make it, just renamed it and moved it to 750ml bottles.
Word? What do they call it now? I've been meaning to try that beer again.

As for Lincoln, White Elm and Boiler are doing good work. Boiler is cool because it usually has some solid IPAs and then a few barrel projects to try. As well, they get food delivered from a great steak place next door. Either way hit up both.

I haven't been to the Zipline Lincoln but the Omaha location is a solid stop. If you like coffee there's a great coffee shop that's got great coffee and breakfast called Cultiva. Definitely recommend that. Let me know if you'd like more info!

Blue Blood’s beer is fine, but they store their barrels in Robbers Cave which is cool. My father in law met my wife’s mom there at a kegger when they were students at UNL.

The only widely distroed brands that regularly send stuff I want to buy to GR that I would be upset to see pull out of our market would be the Bruery and Dogfish Head. I'd add Cascade to the list, but I get the distinct impression that they sent a huge shipment of standard stuff a while back and washed their hands of MI, since I never see any of their relatively newer creations that I'd happily spend the money to try, and that other markets seem to get. But when I think about other big brands (Sierra Nevada, Rogue, New Belgium, Anchor, Stone, Ballast Point), and I can honestly say that their disappearance would minimally impact my purchasing habits and satisfaction.

I happen to buy a fair amount of local craft because that takes up so much shelf space and is most conducive to my inclination to tick, but I'd be perfectly happy to spend 100% of my beer budget on non-local beer assuming favorable distribution conditions. The problem is that non-local breweries tend to ship too sporadically, they often send stuff that is already old (Alesmith introduced themselves to MI last month with a pale ale that was close to 3 months old at launch if memory serves), and there is often a premium that is hard to justify compared to the local stuff (Almanac being especially brutal). And so between those negatives and the internal distribution of Michigan breweries (Transient and Ellison especially) improving a great deal, I feel like I'm being forced into buying local without being terribly enthusiastic about it, since my favorite breweries aren't local.
Out of all the breweries mentioned in your first paragraph I’d miss Sierra Nevada the most.

Word? What do they call it now? I've been meaning to try that beer again.

As for Lincoln, White Elm and Boiler are doing good work. Boiler is cool because it usually has some solid IPAs and then a few barrel projects to try. As well, they get food delivered from a great steak place next door. Either way hit up both.

I haven't been to the Zipline Lincoln but the Omaha location is a solid stop. If you like coffee there's a great coffee shop that's got great coffee and breakfast called Cultiva. Definitely recommend that. Let me know if you'd like more info!
Rayon Vert is now Baroque Belgique. Never had it so can't say if it's still good but supposedly the recipe is the same.

Thanks for the Lincoln suggestions, only gonna be a couple days (busy for one of those days) so that should keep me plenty busy!

Before the sale, I thought that Nelson was one of the best beers I've ever had, and with Green Flash, it was still really awesome. I thought the other beers went from pretty great to not that great, or even bad, sometimes. I'm not sure if it was the distributor's fault, but I've had to choke down a particularly gross Duet or Hoppy Birthday before, and that should have never happened.
I loved OG Duet, more than Nelson (JulianB) but the GF version sucked. Same with Hoppy Birthday. Nelson stayed awesome somehow.

Back