US - Great Lakes Guide to Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by JohnfromPurdue, Jun 26, 2014.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. sherm1016

sherm1016

The Local Brews Draft Beer Bar at Miller Park might be one of the best beer bars in the city. Top 10 easily. Very nice selection that has changed throughout the season. Prices are certainly fair for inside the ballpark, and really good on season ticket holder appreciation days (25% off). It's a shame you can only get to it on game days with a ticket. I hope they put in a second one next season to cut down on the lines, but I know the seat vendors are already pissed with the one.

Gonzoillini and elkhunter36 like this.
  2. sjstraub

sjstraub

I'm late on this, but Third Space always seems to be on shelves at the local grocery store Sendiks. I'm sure there is one along your route next time.

furley likes this.
  3. YungCoolship

YungCoolship

Raised Grain is decent but nothing to go apeshit over. The flagship variety is pretty diverse style-wise, albeit run of the mill (Red IPA, Belgian Tripel, APA, IPA, Scotch Ale, Kolsch, Hefe, Amber, etc). They seem to be doing pretty well in the area and are expanding to a second location. It also seems that with time they have been more apt to experimenting past their flagships and trying their hand at NEIPA's and barrel aging (both with decent results... but again, not mind blowing). The taproom/brewery in Waukesha is relatively small but has a nice ambiance, well worth stopping in if you haven't yet.

If you are a fan of hops Third Space is your best bet in the Milwaukee area. Their tap list is generally dominated by hoppy offerings and they execute them well enough that I usually will drink multiple in a sitting and be perfectly happy about it. I highly recommend checking out their place and hanging out. The brewery is a converted old warehouse located in a somewhat resurging area that was a industrial ghost town for decades prior. The warehouse is a pretty open concept with bar is right in the middle of the building with the brewing operation sprawling around it. Third Space also has a lot of designated space for seating inside and they converted the loading dock into an urban beer garden of sorts. Most weekend nights they will have a food truck parked in the beer garden. Third Space is the full package in my opinion... unless you hate hops.

City Lights has one of the coolest spots in the city, if they could brew beer that tasted good they'd really be onto something. Outside of their coconut porter everything I've tried from them was on extract homebrew tier level... some high gravity offerings under attenuated, muddled hoppiness, are just plain basic and sub-par. The branding and the fact that they don't give their beer names has a minimalist appeal... but beneath the surface it just reeks of a business venture looking to cash out and give their possible buyers a proof of concept but blank canvas at the same time... but hey that's just my opinion.

Black Husky is worth the stop if you're near Riverwest. I like their taproom and beer garden, but it's not somewhere I could waste a day at.

Good City has good food (expensive for pub food), a cool space, and decent beer. I have high hopes for them as they seem to be doing pretty cool one-off releases. My only qualm with them is inconsistency... Motto was banging out the gate but I've had it multiple time since and some of the time it doesn't even seem like the same beer.

Like Minds has a cool little location on the east side of Milwaukee. They seem to be pretty focused on honing in on barrel aging and brett beers... which is a well needed in Milwaukee. Like Minds food menu was good as well, focusing more on tapas/small plates vs pub style offerings.

Those are the only breweries outside of the usual suspects (Lakefront, MKE, Sprecher) that I can confidently comment on. There are a few that I've generally avoided because I've heard negative things and/or aren't interesting to me.

Anyone been to 1840 yet? Anyone know when Vennture Brewing is finally going to open?

4. pleaseremaincalm

pleaseremaincalm

Just to add to previous comments...

Good City has the best food for a brewery in the city I have tried. The pork shoulder is fantastic, as are the curry fries and the mushrooms. They have a lot of IPA centered beers but also often have a wee keg with an experimental beer to try on the weekends. They are expanding their space rapidly.

City Lights is as cool as! They need to step their beer game up though :( Decent but not outstanding, hopefully with time they will improve or add some better beers.

Explorium Brewpub in southridge mall (does this still count as MKE?) has a good barrel aged selection. Tons of different ones to try. Food is super pricy though.

Westallion in West Allis opened pretty recently but I haven't had the chance to hit it yet which is criminal on my part as I work close to it.

I have heard great things about the Bavarian Bierhaus (other than all the free beer they had to give away....) I plan to get up there this spring!

Some really cool ones in the surrounding area as well.....

5. furley

furley

i'm overdue for a visit

6. GoodDon

GoodDon Premium Supporter Contributor

Any new places to check out since these were posted? Heading to MKE this weekend and just found out that I'm responsible for the "entertainment". Haven't been to Milwaukee since October '14. Starting at Lakefront at 11 and maybe ending at MKE Brewing for the open house.

7. elkhunter36

elkhunter36

Stubby's is right down the street from Lakefront and with 53 taps they always have something good on.

Third Space has already been mentioned but it's only 3 miles from Lakefront and I highly recommend it.

A new place not listed is Gathering Place. 2 1/2 miles north of Lakefront. Best new place we have been to since Third Space opened. www.gatheringplacebrewing.com

Black Husky is also in the area and I know you like hops so it's worth a stop also.

8. sherm1016

sherm1016

Echo the previous recommendations of Third Space and Good City. I myself need to get to Gathering Place, but I keep hearing good things..

1840 Brewing seems like they are doing interesting stuff, if you can find their beer. They don't have a taproom to visit, so I have yet to try anything from them.

Food-wise, I can recommend Iron Grate BBQ near the airport. http://irongratebbq.com/ It's relatively new, they have a few good local beer offerings, and very good BBQ/sides in my opinion. Set-up is kinda similar to a central TX BBQ spot. I myself didn't love the "Milwaukee Rib" (basically spare rib with the pork belly still attached) but otherwise very good BBQ, especially for the upper Midwest.

9. elkhunter36

elkhunter36

They have a "Tasting Room" instead. They only bottle ,no draft, but you can taste their beer from the bottle there or purchase one to go. Have been there once a brought a bottle home, is was ok. Keep hearing good things about them though.

And another plus one for Iron Grate. And if you go to Iron Grate you have to stop into Landmark 1850. Just to see the place if you have never been there.

GoodDon, Slander420 and sherm1016 like this.
  10. GoodDon

GoodDon Premium Supporter Contributor

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Sounds like this is our plan of attack today.

Lakefront
    Gathering Place
    Black Husky
    Company Brewing (Anybody been?)
    Good City
    Eagle Park

Hotel to pass out.

Edit: Skipping Company. Hopefully spending more time at Gathering Place now.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  11. elkhunter36

elkhunter36

Haha I was typing you could skip Company when you edited your post.

This looks like an excellent plan.

And you hit the lottery with the weather - it looks like it's going to be a rather nice day.

Have fun and report back!

Gonzoillini and GoodDon like this.
  12. elkhunter36

elkhunter36

Headed up for this today:

[​IMG]

Central Waters Brewing Company
    April 19 at 4:22pm ·
    Mark your calendars! It is time for our annual tap takeover at Guu's on Mainin Stevens Point, and this is one for the books, so don’t miss it, Saturday April 28!

20 beers for 20 years!

Check out this tap list!

Shine On
    Honey Blonde
    Mudpuppy Porter
    HHG APA
    Rift IPA
    Ouisconsing Red
    Bourbon Barrel Stout
    Brewhouse Coffee Stout
    Bourbon Barrel Barleywine
    Peruvian Morning
    Rum Barrel Coconut Porter
    Illumination Double IPA
    De Klein Dood
    Bourbon Barrel Belgian Quad
    Space Ghost
    Bourbon Barrel Scotch Ale
    Rye Barrel Stout -The last one!

Special Tappings:

Black Gold- 4pm

20th Anniversary Beer-5pm

The last ever keg of 18- tapped at 6pm!

Digging deep in the cellar for our hometown! See you there!

[​IMG]

Gonzoillini and GoodDon like this.
  13. henrythehippo

henrythehippo

Bump. Heading into town this weekend. Who makes the best Oktoberfest?

elkhunter36 likes this.
  14. elkhunter36

elkhunter36

Staghorn from New Glarus is my favorite. Go to a Woodman's or a large liquor store and you can fill a sixer with singles so you can try several.

15. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

In Milwaukee 9/12 for a night.
    Any of you cheeseheads in town and up for a beer?

Also, want NG (Spotted Cow, Moon Man) on tap somewhere. Ideally at a cool spot for taps and food. Open to suggestions. Hit me.

elkhunter36 likes this.
  16. elkhunter36

elkhunter36

Where are you staying and will you have a car?

drinkypoo likes this.
  17. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

No idea. Would base location around dinner/beer plans if possible.
    Yes, I will have a car.

elkhunter36 likes this.
  18. elkhunter36

elkhunter36

For Moon Man / Spotted Cow on tap:

http://ubertaproom.com/

Order the cheese curds. And they have one of the largest selections of cheese in the city. And there are lots of places to visit within walking distance from here. Spice House, Usinger's Sausage House, Old German Beer Hall, the new Milwaukee Bucks stadium Fiserv Forum if that interests you.

Breweries:
    Third Space (food truck only)
    Good City - they serve food
    Gathering Place - no food - well hot pretzels are food I guess

Food and good tap beer selection:
    Camino
    Vanguard
    Stubby's - food can be iffy but they have 53 taps

Lots of other good choices available if none of these strike your fancy.

Some other MKE boys that may chime in here also.

19. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

[​IMG]

furley and elkhunter36 like this.
  20. furley

furley

is that Jeff Daniels?