Toxic Topic Gun Ownership in America: Okey Dokie or Nah?

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by RedCoffee, May 2, 2017.

1. thejukes

thejukes

We aren’t that far off topic. You need a government issued photo ID to buy a gun.

Funny how the “no voter ID” crowd has no problem placing undue burden on the poor and/or minorities when it comes to other rights.

Is that also funny, sacrelicio?

2. sacrelicio

sacrelicio

No?

3. thejukes

thejukes

Oh.

You were on such a roll pointing out the apparent flexibility of others’ principles. I thought I’d join in. Sorry for two partying.

4. sacrelicio

sacrelicio

What principles? I thought I was pointing out logical inconsistency.

5. thejukes

thejukes

Conservative principles.

Call it whatever you want. I was pointing out that it cuts both ways.

6. Lutter

Lutter

Gun ownership? Pfft...

7. Compton25

Compton25

[​IMG]

Finally my dreams become a reality.

8. kevanb

kevanb

presented without comment

9. PHBoiler

PHBoiler

I saw another school shooting happened in California. Here's a thought on a potential way to bridge this political gap on gun control. If we're not going to change any laws regarding gun purchasing/ownership and we "can't" better enforce current regulations, then gun purchasers and owners can share the majority of a government tax burden that would allow for a budget to have an armed officer guard the entrance of every public school during hours of operation (roughly one hour before school begins until roughly 1.5 hours after school concludes). Any primary entrance would be guarded as I'm sure larger high schools have multiple public points of entry.

This basically follows a similar premise from the insurance industry. The shared cost of business impacts everyone. Maybe you only carry one hunting rifle and it is locked in a safe. Well, lots of people on health insurance plans are in great health. Lots of auto insurance policy holders have never had a claim. It doesn't matter. It's the cost of doing business spread across everyone. That's why all of our policies tend to go up.

You want to continue to have any and all unimpeded liberties for gun ownership, well then just help fund a pool to keep children safe. Seems like a no brainer to me. Given the school hours are M-F with multiple holidays and summers off, I don't think the added cost and tax burden would be nearly as high as folks would immediately project. It might even come down to the cost of any training/equipment with an agreement that it is one less person patrolling illegal parking and speeding during the day.

ASUBeer, kuemmelbrau and kevanb like this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo

Or, give teachers the ability to conceal carry (assuming they want to and pass a safety course) and keep doors secured. One resource officer as they called them in my school can't be everywhere all the time, there is still time to respond and some schools are very large.

11. PHBoiler

PHBoiler

They wouldn't be everywhere. Only at the entrance. Guard not patrol. The idea is to keep the guns out of the inside of the school entirely. School teachers aren't 100% foolproof/guaranteed to be mentally stable at all times. In other words, school teachers are not beyond reproach.

12. Kasher

Kasher

Not saying this is a bad idea, but the idea of putting the onus of being 20+ children's personal protector is even more stress teachers probably don't need.

Not to mention the mess some choosing to and some choosing not to could create.

13. Hanzo

Hanzo

No one is 100% foolproof, but I know what you mean, there should be security when entering a school. My daughters preschool was great, you had to be buzzed in, but her new school you can just walk right in the front door. If you can limit entrance to one door and man that door with a guard it could be a deterrent. The problem is a lot of school get lax on security for the sake of convenience.

PHBoiler likes this.
  14. Josh

Josh

Let's clear this up.
    This wasn't a "school shooting".

It was a crazy individual that was randomly choosing targets as the result of a domestic issue. No amount of security outside of a bulletproof wall could have prevented the children from being hurt.

You can't control crazy.

beerandraiderfan and Hanzo like this.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo

Yeah, as is typically the case, the sensational headline doesn't hold up when you click the story and see what actually happened.

beerandraiderfan likes this.
  16. Josh

Josh

It's not even listed on the front page of the mobile CNN page if that tells you anything.

Hanzo likes this.
  17. Hanzo

Hanzo

This one was close to home and caught my eye. What scrolled on the TV during the 6 o'clock news was "Man Selling Firearms Out of His Home". That sounds terrible, an illegal gun ring in my hometown!?

Oh, it's an approved and legal business transferring firearms to citizens that are filling out all appropriate state and federal paperwork and being subjected to NICS check? Ok then......

https://pilotonline.com/news/govern...cle_68ac5443-90bb-5c9a-a1a9-b90c7768f310.html

beerandraiderfan likes this.
  18. ASUBeer

ASUBeer

[​IMG]

19. Compton25

Compton25

Texas allows teachers to conceal carry. However final authorization belongs to local school districts, and on a case by case basis. It’s given some of the rural school districts the ability to provide protection when school resource officers aren’t available.

Hanzo likes this.
  20. jmgrub

jmgrub

I think teachers should open carry. Would scare the kids into behaving.