Hair of the Dog 20th Anniversary - Pannepooch Reserva

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waltersrj

Reaction score
A buddy of mine opened a bottle of this with me the other night and it was very clearly infected with acetaldehyde (green apples). The beer still tasted like a quad but it was slightly tart with a prevalent green apple taste. I am curious if this is just a random bad bottle or if anyone else has experienced this?

I personally have 3 bottles left and plan to open one tonight for science. I will update with my opinion this weekend.

I really hope it was just a bad bottle as this beer at the 20th Anniversary party was absolutely amazing which is why I had it 3 or 4 times.

Cheers
Ryan

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that acetaldehyde isn't an infection, it's just a byproduct of fermentation and should be cleaned up with time. How old is this beer?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that acetaldehyde isn't an infection, it's just a byproduct of fermentation and should be cleaned up with time. How old is this beer?
You are definitely correct...I was mistaken as to the nature of acetaldehyde. The odd thing is that this flavor wasn't present when I had it on draft at the brewery last November for the release and anniversary party. It was definitely in this bottle though. Is acetaldehyde something that can fluctuate throughout the aging of a beer?

You are definitely correct...I was mistaken as to the nature of acetaldehyde. The odd thing is that this flavor wasn't present when I had it on draft at the brewery last November for the release and anniversary party. It was definitely in this bottle though. Is acetaldehyde something that can fluctuate throughout the aging of a beer?
As far as I know if it's not present at the beginning it won't develop, but that may not be the case.

What's the deal with that beer? I know pannepot reserva is sometimes in Calavados, could it just be that apple flavor combined with your run-of-the-mill lacto?

As far as I know if it's not present at the beginning it won't develop, but that may not be the case.

What's the deal with that beer? I know pannepot reserva is sometimes in Calavados, could it just be that apple flavor combined with your run-of-the-mill lacto?

This definitely came across my mind as well. Pannapeuch and Pannapooch (Pannapeuch aged in Brandy barrels which generally means Apple Brandy for Alan) we're blended to make reserva. I suppose it is possible that the apple flavor from the brandy has been accentuated by some lacto and now has become slightly soured. It also came to mind that perhaps some bottle variation is in play here. If some of the bottles never fully conditioned (this one was pretty much flat) then perhaps the yeast was never able to do its job and condition the beer correctly which in turn has left some acetaldehyde in this bottle?

Yeah must have been an off bottle. I've only had it at HotD a couple months ago but it was fine then.

We got a big green apple presence out of Buffalo Trace BBVD last weekend, which was weird getting more apple in that than the Apple Brandy version.

Yeah must have been an off bottle. I've only had it at HotD a couple months ago but it was fine then.

We got a big green apple presence out of Buffalo Trace BBVD last weekend, which was weird getting more apple in that than the Apple Brandy version.

had the same problem with BBVD. Still sitting on Pappy and AB BBVD because of it. scared to open :oops:

Happy to announce my buddies bottle was bad! Opened one tonight and it's as amazing as it was at the anniversary. Plum, cherries, maybe some fig, chocolate almost like tootsie rolls, Apple Brandy, omg.

Sucks to know there are turd bottles out there. I loved this beer straight out the gate. Id roll the dice to get more if it was even possible...is it even possible or was it only ever sold to-go as part of that mixed 6er?

Sucks to know there are turd bottles out there. I loved this beer straight out the gate. Id roll the dice to get more if it was even possible...is it even possible or was it only ever sold to-go as part of that mixed 6er?
He may still have some of the vintage sixers to go for $90 but I have not been there in a few months...

had the same problem with BBVD. Still sitting on Pappy and AB BBVD because of it. scared to open :oops:

I guess now would be a good time to let you know that I drank the originals and refilled them with Stone IRS and random splashes of spirits. I guess I ****ed up and squeezed an apple into the wrong one. Hey, it was our first trade, I had no idea that **** was going to get real between us, give a guy a break.

I guess now would be a good time to let you know that I drank the originals and refilled them with Stone IRS and random splashes of spirits. I guess I ****ed up and squeezed an apple into the wrong one. Hey, it was our first trade, I had no idea that **** was going to get real between us, give a guy a break.

That's okay the CFH i traded you... Older Viscosity on bulk discount. Less $/oz but rared up cuz only 300 bottles at that price.

edit: wait that explains mine, but how did you hose jp7161? his was worse than mine. Also Bodhi made it better!

The bottle I had at the tasting room a couple months ago kicked ass. I think that Pannepooch and Pannapeuch were actually both better than the Reserva though.

Back