Hangover secrets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevSal

Supremium Porter
Reaction score
i searched for this thread and came up with nothing, if one exist please delete Gene

if there isn’t one than wtf!
ok we all get hangovers on here (cept one bloke i know), come share some of your secrets if you have any

now normally i drink plenty of water before going to bed that helps a lot, but last night i chugged an unfinished beer than immediately passed out, waking up pretty shitty that lasted a while through the day

normally my biggest secret is DayQuil non liquid tabs. no ********, on my cousins batchlor party many years ago i went for it and got waaaayyy too ****ed up. let’s just say we ended the full day of drinking with boiler makers... i was in super bad shape and my older brother said he had a secret that will help me feel better. her gave me the pills and it worked! feeling like a champ. i needed to know wtf he gave me and it turned out to be regular ol dayquil, and i’ve been using it ever since with great results

now today i didn’t bring any of that with me, ended up pounding some chocolate milk around noon and that immediately made me feeling better

what do you guys do?

First thought when seeing the thread title was “oh god, more spam, but at least it was properly targeted this time.” :p

Anyway, since you asked...

0. Tons and tons of water while drinking and before falling asleep. Many ounces of prevention in this case most definitely beats any morning cure.

But if I happen to fall asleep without getting to that step, my usual morning combo is:

1. Caffeine
2. Banana.
3. Eggs, preferably in between Taylor ham and cheese on a proper bagel.

The DayQuil is interesting, but I would be very cautious there because the acetaminophen will place an additional burden on your already-overtaxed liver. The chocolate milk I will definitely try, if only because it’s a great excuse to drink chocolate milk.

Unless I’m going to bars/breweries, I always bring a gallon of water with with me to finish while I’m drinking beer. It causes me to piss like a race horse, but that’s my normal routine.

Now, if I’m going to be dumb, I always take one of these Japanese pre drinking drinks before I start drinking heavily.
wmAmhAr.jpg

I have zero idea what is in them, and as with most strange stuff my wife gives me, I find it better not to ask. I’ve never woken up with anything more than cottonmouth after drinking one of these, regardless of how much water or food I have while binge drinking.

I’ve also started drinking coconut water before bed and dandelion tea the morning after. All these things have really worked for me. If all else fails, Advil and a nap would probably do wonders.

Preventative:. Drink a gallon of water throughout the day, before you have your first beer. This always seems to completely avoid the issue for me.

Reactionary:. Go for a run. Seriously. Bring plenty of water. This knocks it out for me most of the time. It is brutally tough to convince yourself to do it, but once you're about a mile in, you will turn the corner.
Edit: you might puke, though

Short of a couple IV bags of saline, night-of water and next-day Pedialyte for sure. Then unnatural amounts of bacon and eggs. Need to try brewer's yeast.
I used to go to this 5 day music festival. My buddy was in the guard and they’d shoot the cannon etc. I can’t tell you how many days him and I would drink until 5am pass out on the ground then go get a few IV bags at 8. Just to start drinking again right after.

If I know I have an event coming up that I'll be hitting the bottles hard.....

Drink 8-10 tall glasses of water per day, the week of. Pre load the hydration.

Drink 1-1 water/beer while drinking.

Eat a lot before and during.

Cut off early as you can. The sooner you stop, the more time your body has to flush out the booze. Hence, wake up feeling ok with a regular amount of sleep.

I also used to swear by macaroni salad with a ton of Mayo, early the following morning. Its been a while though.

Back