Other Booze Hard Cider

Discussion in 'Whiskey, Wine & Other Booze' started by Michigan, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Michigan

Michigan

This is the place to discuss hard ciders. There seems to be a real resurgence in the cider world, and I'd like to learn more about it. My experience only stretches to a few offerings from Virtue and the mass market of Woodchuck

2. stupac2

stupac2

aekoops made his own cider. It was weird.

3. SeaWatchman

SeaWatchman

Ciders!??!?!

[​IMG]

ufmj, kuemmelbrau and Michigan like this.
  4. quirk6

quirk6

http://e-z-caps.com/

I bought these years ago and have used it to make my own hard ciders. It's super easy and the results have always been delicious. Only takes a couple weeks. I've also used it to make my own Ginger Ale. Also, you can make something stronger than what you'd buy in the store.

5. quirk6

quirk6

Apparently I can make beer with the e-z caps, too. I see an experiment in my future.

6. Lkptbourbon

Lkptbourbon

Homemade cider is a lot better than any you can buy in the store , woodchuck ,& Mackenzie are really sweet, best I had was the Stella Artois cider

7. OnryAndMean

OnryAndMean

My lady's father made a hard apple cider out of fresh apples from trees on their property. I just had a bottle last night and it was fantastic. Very tart, light on the apple, high on the carb. Would drink again.

8. Lkptbourbon

Lkptbourbon

Yep I made some a few years back, gotta use unpasteurized fresh cider, mine came out very dry, but good

9. quirk6

quirk6

10. Lkptbourbon

Lkptbourbon

Leonard Oakes a local winery ,has a cider that is carbonated called Steampunk cider that's very good

11. bramsdell

bramsdell

Have you actually used these? The website is so janky that I can't believe they actually work. Please give more deets.

12. quirk6

quirk6

The website is fairly...old school. But, yeah, I've used them. Bought them off ebay years ago. It's basically caps that fit on two liter bottles and some yeast and directions. The caps have a small vent so they'll release enough pressure not to burst, but hold in enough to carbonate the cider. Basically, you sanitize the bottle, add juice, sugar and yeast and put on the cap. Let it set out for a week or two and then move it into the fridge to condition. That's it really.

bramsdell likes this.
  13. JoeLikesBeer

JoeLikesBeer

Too much cider being made with dessert apples these days. Kingston Black or GTFO.

MikeC, Frank and libbey like this.
  14. bramsdell

bramsdell

I currently have a 1gal cider fermenting. I let it go for about a month, racked off the cake, just letting it sit now. It's incredibly dry (just used regular ale yeast), so I'm going to add another 12oz of pure apple juice and probably the dregs of the Lady of the Woods the lady and I will consume this evening for a little secondary and to sweeten it.

15. matt_6

matt_6

16. kuemmelbrau

kuemmelbrau

for those starting out i recommend the crispin line of their small batch bbl aged stuff. easy to find, decent price, tasty as hell. their trappist yeast fermented cider in their regular line is good too.

MarcatGSB likes this.
  17. fletch

fletch

Strongbow and Magners are my go-tos if I am going to drink cider. A few places have starder playing with funky ciders around me, like Bullfrg.

18. reaper16

reaper16

Etienne Dupont. Get on that Normandy tip.

I'm also incredibly fond of Spanish Sidra; the Basque sidras especially - they're basically Saisons.

19. DougOLis

DougOLis

And a sour saison. Not just a regular saison. Plus they're only like 3 Euro a bottle there.

20. Michigan

Michigan

I've been meaning to try this as I have heard a lot of good things about it.