Haze Craze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

do you prefer hazey IPAs?

• Yes

Votes: 53 55.2%
  • No

Votes: 43 44.8%

• Total voters

drbenzo1

Reaction score
I was sharing a can of Goblin Rock with rcubed the other day and we were discussing the haze craze. I have enjoyed my share of hazey IPAs but I feel like they are often oatmeal bitter and distracting from the hop profile. In fact I'm having a hard time describing what I mean... but I do know that I prefer bright tropical IPAs after having a bunch of different hazey ones. So...

1. Do you prefer haze?
  2. Can someone describe how they are made hazey?
  3. I only made this thread so you all could **** on it and have some fun.
  4. tosh
  5. Pick a number between 1-500 and and answer these questions. Then I'll send whoever wins a 4 pack of Modern Times next hazey cans.

bottle_family__0005_purplehaze-2__slide.png

1. Nope
2. I think Jean Broillet whispers voodoo over the batch and it clouds before your eyes. Read somewhere that he figured out how to do it via skype which explains the proliferation of the style.
3. Good thinking, it was getting a bit serious around here.
4. @hibiscus
5. 333 if I win please ship to NAD1983 he tried to join a BIF I am in right now but tosh wouldn't let him.

giphy.gif

I was sharing a can of Goblin Rock with rcubed the other day and we were discussing the haze craze. I have enjoyed my share of hazey IPAs but I feel like they are often oatmeal bitter and distracting from the hop profile. In fact I'm having a hard time describing what I mean... but I do know that I prefer bright tropical IPAs after having a bunch of different hazey ones. So...

1. Do you prefer haze?
  4. tosh
  5. Pick a number between 1-500 and and answer these questions. Then I'll send whoever wins a 4 pack of Modern Times next hazey cans.
  1. Do you prefer haze? Nah - they're good but I like regular ass IPAs too.
  2. Can someone describe how they are made hazey? Accuse someone of putting flour in the boil
  3. I only made this thread so you all could **** on it and have some fun. ****!
  4. tosh
  5. Pick a number between 1-500 and and answer these questions. Number 15
Thanks for the chance!

1. Do you prefer haze?
  4. tosh
1. Yes
2. That's above my pay grade
3. So far so good!
4. Bellend.
5. 223
giphy.gif

1. Do you prefer haze?
  4. tosh
No. If I'm drinking something with floaties or hazy, it's far from an IPA.
I heard it it's from wringing out the bar mats and towels at the end of the night.
Trollololol
tosh

Can someone describe how they are made hazey?

**** it. I'll take the bait. Not an entry...

It depends on whether or not you are intentionally making your beer hazy or if the haze is a by-product of your brewing process. Adding things like oats, flour, flaked wheat, etc. can contribute to the haziness in a beer without having a drastic impact on the hop profile. For example, I could lower my 2-row bill in a West Coast IPA and add oats to increase haze and add a bit of chewiness. It's a bit more complicated than that, but I'll just leave it at that because I don't care to discuss the ethics of this process or why Tradehouse trades so high.

The "new-style" NE IPAs that everyone raves about are a bit different. Some may have flour or oats added, but I've found the new hop profile comes from 3 major changes from a more traditional IPA: hops are completely post or very late in boil, a non-traditional yeast (most notably English Ale Yeast) is used, and hops are added before fermentation is fully completed. The proteins left in suspension are almost entirely from the hops and yeast, as opposed to the above example where the protein source is mostly from a particular grain or something like flour.

Good news: these beers are extremely easy to brew.
Bad news: hop contracts are your limiting factor.

1. Do you prefer haze? Yes and No, I like trillium, the few tree house, brew gentleman, hoof hearted, and Monkish that I've had. Heady was considered hazy or dirty years ago too. I still love Fatheads Head Hunter and Hop Juju and Pliny or **** even SNPA or 2 hearted.
  2. Can someone describe how they are made hazey? I always thought it was the yeast and how the hops were added in boil???
  3. I only made this thread so you all could **** on it and have some fun. Well that sucks, talkbeer is serious business. No fun to be had here ;)
  4. tosh Thanks for being you
  5. Pick a number between 1-500 and and answer these questions. Then I'll send whoever wins a 4 pack of Modern Times next hazey cans. 19
giphy.gif

**** it. I'll take the bait. Not an entry...

It depends on whether or not you are intentionally making your beer hazy or if the haze is a by-product of your brewing process. Adding things like oats, flour, flaked wheat, etc. can contribute to the haziness in a beer without having a drastic impact on the hop profile. For example, I could lower my 2-row bill in a West Coast IPA and add oats to increase haze and add a bit of chewiness. It's a bit more complicated than that, but I'll just leave it at that because I don't care to discuss the ethics of this process or why Tradehouse trades so high.

The "new-style" NE IPAs that everyone raves about are a bit different. Some may have flour or oats added, but I've found the new hop profile comes from 3 major changes from a more traditional IPA: hops are completely post or very late in boil, a non-traditional yeast (most notably English Ale Yeast) is used, and hops are added before fermentation is fully completed. The proteins left in suspension are almost entirely from the hops and yeast, as opposed to the above example where the protein source is mostly from a particular grain or something like flour.

Good news: these beers are extremely easy to brew.
Bad news: hop contracts are your limiting factor.
Yes, The suspended hops and proteins axplains why we tasted too much hop resin in Goblin Rock. It tastes like a bag of hop pellets, which I def don't prefer. I have noticed I like MTs IPAs a week or so after I pick them up.

1. Do you prefer haze? Yes and No, I like trillium, the few tree house, brew gentleman, hoof hearted, and Monkish that I've had. Heady was considered hazy or dirty years ago too. I still love Fatheads Head Hunter and Hop Juju and Pliny or **** even SNPA or 2 hearted.
  2. Can someone describe how they are made hazey? I always thought it was the yeast and how the hops were added in boil???
  3. I only made this thread so you all could **** on it and have some fun. Well that sucks, talkbeer is serious business. No fun to be had here ;)
  4. tosh Thanks for being you
  5. Pick a number between 1-500 and and answer these questions. Then I'll send whoever wins a 4 pack of Modern Times next hazey cans. 19
giphy.gif
It's on tomorrow! Ha!
Here we go Steelers!
DRutDqw.gif

1. Do you prefer haze?
  4. tosh
1. Hell yes
2. I think temperature has somethiing to do with it, keeping the beer relatively warm in brite keeps proteins from dropping
3. Hendrix is now stuck in my head
4. Hi tosh
5. 79

1. Do you prefer haze?
  4. tosh

1. I don't prefer it but damn that can I had of DDH Melcher St. last night was liquid bliss.
2. Magic
xThuWvFw6zPk99QF0c.gif

4. tosh
5. 41

1. Do you prefer haze?
  4. tosh
1. Don't care, but the ones I like tend to be hazy
2. wheat and oats can add it, but it usually yeast in suspension as well.
3mtR8nr.gif

4. tosh
5. 432

I'll haze your craze, drbenzo

1. Love that freshness seems to be very important. I love that the low bitterness is catching on. I think part of the reason they exploded is related to the fact that everyone needs to drink them and not cellar for eternity. No guilt for drinking right now, neckbeards!!
2. Dry hop under pressure × fruity hops × low floc yeast
3. Yinzers
4. Hi there tosher
5. Dont you dare send me beer, Larry

I'll haze your craze, drbenzo

1. Love that freshness seems to be very important. I love that the low bitterness is catching on. I think part of the reason they exploded is related to the fact that everyone needs to drink them and not cellar for eternity. No guilt for drinking right now, neckbeards!!
2. Dry hop under pressure × fruity hops × low floc yeast
3. Yinzers
4. Hi there tosher
5. Dont you dare send me beer, Larry
giphy.gif

1. Do you prefer haze? Maybe not prefer, but the last Susan I had was pretty hazy and tasted magical.
  2. Can someone describe how they are made hazey? Flaked oats or whatever from what I gather from Tired Hands commercial descriptions...
  3. I only made this thread so you all could **** on it and have some fun. - I'm at work, no fun allowed!
  4. tosh
  5. Pick a number between 1-500 and and answer these questions. Then I'll send whoever wins a 4 pack of Modern Times next hazey cans. 100

Back