Hello from Nebraska!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by soySmelliot, Jun 3, 2018.

1. soySmelliot

soySmelliot

I've been a lurker here for a while now and finally decided to just create an account. Hoping to do some beer trades/find some trading partners and shoot the shit about beer!

PurityControl88 and Photekut like this.
  2. Slander420

Slander420

Heyoooo, get yourself an avatar and have a look around. You might find something you like. Cheers!

3. tikk

tikk

Welcome to Talkbeer!

Be an active part of the community before talking about trading. We talk about more that just beer.

4. Panda

Panda

*than

5. soySmelliot

soySmelliot

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely do some posting and take the chance to brag about some of my local breweries.

PurityControl88 likes this.
  6. tikk

tikk

[​IMG]

I forgot to mention that you should use a ton of gifs here.

7. soySmelliot

soySmelliot

[​IMG]

8. Mikeeo2388

Mikeeo2388

Whats up fellow newbie. This place is first, hilarious, second informative! Keep on trekking

soySmelliot, Locker338 and Photekut like this.
  9. sherm1016

sherm1016

Welcome!

PurityControl88 likes this.
  10. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

Always glad to see another fellow Nebraskan on TalkBeer! Great avatar too, btw.

jmgrub and soySmelliot like this.
  11. brian4beer

brian4beer

From Nebraska originally and going back in a few weeks. Any suggestions on good Omaha spots?

PurityControl88 and soySmelliot like this.
  12. soySmelliot

soySmelliot

Oh man, I'm in Lincoln, so I don't know a ton about Omaha. For breweries, I've liked Scriptown, Farnam House, and Kros Strain. Scriptown specializes in session beers, Farnam House is like sours and farmhouses, and Kros Strain is hop forward beers. Theres also places like Nebraska Brewing, Vis Major, Infusion, Pint Nine, and Lucky Bucket. I've had some from all of these that were good.

My personal suggestion for someone low on time and who didn't wanna go all over would be to start at Farnam House and get some lunch or supper (food is great) and a beer. Then, pop over to Beertopia, a pretty good bottle shop a few stores down. Then right near that is Cresent Moon Ale House, a craft beer bar. There's also a German beer bar in the basement of that and a Belgian one nearby. Then about a four block walk from that is Scriptown, or 5168 has a taproom nearby (never had anything by them). Vis Major is also a short drive/Uber from that area.

Now, if you have the chance to get to Lincoln, you must try Boiler Brewing Company. They are absolutely great. Probably the best place in Nebraska. They do everything very very well, but definitely try an imperial stout if they have one. They are fucking bomb at imperial stouts. White Elm would be second place in my mind in Lincoln.

Let me know if you have any other questions or want more info on anything. I think Omaha also sends out these coupon books for get 1 pint, get another for 1 cent at pretty much every brewery in Omaha that you can sign up for at http://www.omahacraftbrew.com

jmgrub, exitmusic00, Calcifer and 7 others like this.
  13. wuntrikpony

wuntrikpony

I did exactly this when I passed through last time. Farnam had some oddball beers, but the food was pretty damn good.

14. brian4beer

brian4beer

Thanks for the help

FoudreGuy and soySmelliot like this.
  15. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

Beertopia is a great spot for 3F and ALL THE TOMES. And Farmers Wave.

Those passports are really handy. Used to be free beers but even at a penny (with purchase) they're still really nice. Whatever stamps I don't use at Christmas or Thanksgiving I leave behind for my father-in-law to use.

Oh, Scratchtown's Wonder Twins is still my favorite Nebraska IPA, even with all the ridiculous juice bombs that Boiler is putting out.

16. BeerandNoise

BeerandNoise

Tell me what beers I should be watching for in your area? Have a relative who is often in Nebraska for work- so would love to send them a list of things to watch for. I believe they are usually in Lincoln City. Any suggestions beyond the two breweries above (Favorite beers from each?), suggestions on bottle shops in the area?

PurityControl88 and soySmelliot like this.
  17. soySmelliot

soySmelliot

Alright, so here are my favorite breweries in Lincoln:
    1. Boiler Brewing - They don't distribute, only sell beer on tap/crowlers. Almost everything they do is great and the tap list constantly changes. They regularly have a juice bomb NEIPA of some sort on tap, the imperial stouts are beyond great, I dig their mimosa goses and they recently started doing meads. Their first session mead was delicious.
    2. White Elm - Their stouts, barleywines, and wee heavies are always good. If you can find their Helles Lager somewhere, definitely grab that. It's very very good. They also make some pretty good grisette and saison style beers.
    3. Blue Blood Brewing - All of their year round stuff is pretty solid, but kind of boring. My favorite is their Wicked Snout Farmhouse Ale. They also make small batch stuff called Robber's Cave series. This always changes every few months and they are usually pretty interesting and good. They also sell Outlaw Series beers in bombers that are their Brett and Barrel Aged beers.
    4. Zipline - This is one of the more well known breweries out of Lincoln. I think they are a little boring, but all of their stuff is solid. Their Alpha Modern IPA is pretty dang good.

There are a few more breweries like Backswing, Code Beer, and 5168, but I've never been very impressed by them. If you come across it, Glacial Till cider is very good, especially their Hibiscus Ginger stuff.

As for bottle shops, there are a few good ones in Lincoln.
    1. N Street Drive In - Has a large selection and a lot of local stuff.
    2. Moran's - Smaller place, but a decent selection. Also has a bar/crowlers shop attached to it.
    3. The Still - Kind of out of the way, but they have a good selection and a crowler shop.

Not a bottle shop, but the HyVee grocery stores also have a good selection of beer.

I know I was a little vague about naming the beers, but if you want specific names of beers, I can definitely suggest some. I kind of wanted to go more by style.

capnmike, exitmusic00 and FoudreGuy like this.
  18. BeerandNoise

BeerandNoise