Hill Farmstead saison carbonation

Discussion in 'Brewing & Beer Knowledge' started by Heins, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Heins

Heins

Hey everyone. When trying to emulate a mixed fermentation tart saison à la Farmstead ales, Saison Bernice, etc., what volume of CO2 are you shooting for in the bottled beer?

BadJustin likes this.
  2. BadJustin

BadJustin Moderator Staff Member

Hi Heiny

Heins likes this.
  3. BadJustin

BadJustin Moderator Staff Member

4. Heins

Heins

BadJustin likes this.
  5. ChaQuiseman

ChaQuiseman

The thread that Justin linked doesn't dive too deeply into carb levels, but there is some excellent information there.

To answer your question: you'll typically want to be in the range of 3.0-3.3 volumes; just make absolutely sure you're using bottles that are rated to withstand that amount of pressure.

There's a really good write up about the method which St. Somewhere uses to bottle condition their saisons toward the end of this blog post. Highly recommended.

PurityControl88 likes this.
  6. ncaudle

ncaudle

that .885oz/gal beer is awfully low in order to reach 3+ vols CO2, unless the beer hasn't reached terminal yet.
    all of my calculators suggest closer to 1.15oz/gal for 3vols

ChaQuiseman likes this.
  7. ChaQuiseman

ChaQuiseman

Yeah, you're absolutely correct. I'm realizing that I gave conflicting information. The 3.0-3.3 is my recommended range, but I use the St. Somewhere process. Looks like St. Somewhere goes for a lower carb level than I prefer

8. ncaudle

ncaudle

every St Somewhere I’ve ever had was highly carbed

9. agrippin

agrippin

I have a blending excel sheet that I use for single batches as well and it'll calculate the amount of sugar for the volumes you're looking for based on the F.G. Happy to share if anyone would like it!

liquiddegenerate likes this.
  10. agrippin

agrippin

11. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

I think Bob bottles when the saison strains are done and not necessarily when it's at terminal. Every beer of his I've had is at least 3 volumes if not closer to 4.

12. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus

So . . . in other words, you're saying that there are other genera of organisms in his beers that continue to ferment after the sacch. species/strains are finished and that leads to a higher level of carbonation than expected?