Hill Farmstead Saison

Discussion in 'Brewing & Beer Knowledge' started by Vogt52, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Vogt52

Vogt52

Anyone had any success brewing a HF style Saison? What did your water profile look like? Hops used? Any other suggestions welcome.

More Betterness likes this.
  2. More Betterness

More Betterness

beerinnv, Zach, scramin85 and 9 others like this.
  3. bsc

bsc

yes!

highly recommend reading the above link, using it as a guide and also culturing some good yeast.
    rumor is they (currently) bottle with wine yeast, but I have still had luck culturing brett/bacteria from dregs.

Vogt52 likes this.
  4. More Betterness

More Betterness

Vogt52 likes this.
  5. More Betterness

More Betterness

And on that note just bought a vial! Let's get some teamwork up in this bitch! Too bad I'm out of HF to culture on top of the Brett vial! :(

6. Mugatu

Mugatu

Just finished a 3 month fermentation of a saison / grisette using Omega Yeast Labs C2C American Farmhouse. Its Hill Farmstead yeast with Logsdon Brett. Really impressed by it... didn't even change the water profile as I wanted to keep all things constant to see how it performed but it really tastes like a HF beer.

65% Pale Malt
    25% White Wheat
    10% Flaked Oats
    Saaz @ FWH
    Citra @ 10
    Wish I would've dry hopped though :(

Not fully carbed yet in this photo
    [​IMG]

ChaQuiseman, koopa, DJPhresh and 4 others like this.
  7. gatorbeer

gatorbeer

I've used dregs from HF bottles to get some really nice HF funk develop relatively quickly in a pretty standard saison/blonde grist.

8. Evahflow

Evahflow

Wyeast 3726 will be a good base and produces a very distinct mouth feel that their saisons have (most seem to attribute to water/cereal grains). I'd follow any advice from the Farmhouse ales book for water profile etc. Pilner malt + Wheat and maybe some munich. The FG of their beers lead me to believe they mash higher 152-154 ish because with my culture of 3726 my beers hit 1.002 within 3 days and that's with no brett involved. There are multiple strains of brett/souring bacteria in them although a few seem to be dominant notably Brett C+ Drie. If you happen to have aggressive souring bacteria hop a bit higher and pitch it in secondary. If not pitch everything in primary. Ferment 6-8 weeks then bottle with champagne yeast to 3.2+Vols for a minimum of 6 weeks. The beer will continue to develop in the bottle.

9. FTowne

FTowne

I'm not sure why you'd have to repitch bottling yeast if you are only fermenting for >2 months.

Snarf likes this.
  10. Evahflow

Evahflow

You don't have to. I get much better carbonation/bottle conditioning since I started to though. Lots of the breweries making these styles seem to as well.

Ziggy and Vogt52 like this.
  11. More Betterness

More Betterness

Did it get quite as acidic as HF saisons? Beautiful beer!

Mugatu and Vogt52 like this.
  12. drgarage

drgarage

I brewed a grisette with propped-up HF dregs a year ago, and it came out awesome -- after 9 months in the bottle. Sulfury and diacetylly until then. But it's absolutely fire now and has many of the characteristics I love in an HF saison.

DJPhresh, Stubs, Mugatu and 1 other person like this.
  13. Mugatu

Mugatu

Not quite to the same level but it has the mineral qualities and mouthfeel I like about HF. I'm not sure it's the yeasts fault about the lack of acidity... the O.G. was only around 1.035-1.040 if I remember correctly so it's pretty low alcohol (3-4%) and 3 months seems pretty young for a saison/Brett beer. Next time I'm leaving it for 6 months or so

14. Vogt52

Vogt52

What was your water chemistry like?

15. Mugatu

Mugatu

16. More Betterness

More Betterness

What did your IBUs look like? Probably going to pitch some form of lacto in my attempt to get that perfect tartness Shaun's saisons have but don't want to limit the bacteria with too many BUs.

17. jivex5k

jivex5k

Cross post from what's brewing this month, going to try an extract hill farmstead-esque saison with the TYB184 strain:

Doing it up this weekend.

18. Mugatu

Mugatu

Think I used 2oz Saaz FWH and 2oz Citra 10 for a 10 gallon batch

19. More Betterness

More Betterness

Anybody know a relatively hop tolerant strain of LAB? From everything I can gather most HF saisons are 20-30 IBUs but still get a decent amount of tartness?

Vogt52 likes this.
  20. drgarage

drgarage

Paging TripleSixHoppia

Vogt52 and More Betterness like this.