US - New England Hill Farmstead thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Don, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Don

Don

Creating a thread for al HF info. Shaun commented on Facebook that he would no longer announce what bottles are on the shelves or upcoming. Not sure if that will last, but seems a little crazy.

2. BusinessSloth

BusinessSloth

Apparently it's a permanent new policy due to the disgusting behavior of people at this past release.

3. idrinkgoodbeer

idrinkgoodbeer

With all the hype behind that brewery at the moment it may be a good idea?

4. Don

Don

I understand why he's doing it. Just seems like a very drastic move. I'm in Boston and can leave work at Noon any day I want, so this doesn't affect me much. Just seems like normal people who want to go up there would make plans to go when there are bottles on the shelf. Doesn't even have to be anything crazy, just something like Anna or Everett would do it. People want to be able to drink HF stuff more than a week after their trip.
    It will be a nice surprise for people on Wednesdays when they go up there though when nice bottles are on the shelf.

5. vonnegut21

vonnegut21

I saw that as well. Although he did announce that some interesting, unnamed bottles might be going on the shelf Wednesday. Maybe that's the plan from now on... just say that something interesting might go on and then post it to the website day of.

6. Don

Don

This seems like a better idea. I took it as he would just not list bottles anywhere, but at least people can plan to head up on a Saturday with a few days notice, if this is the plan.

tehzachatak likes this.
  7. idrinkgoodbeer

idrinkgoodbeer

I have tried a few of Shauns beers and they are great. With out nerding out to hard on HF I would be happy to have anything from them and just visit this place. I hear it is a great time.

8. vonnegut21

vonnegut21

I would imagine that's the plan. To update the site on Wednesday at the latest. I don't see that being a big issue. Even with a week+ advance notice, I don't think there's ever been a "shelf release" that sold out in the first week. Even Norma made it at least partly through the next Wednesday. Plenty of time for us "locals" (sub 6-hour drive) to plan a trip up.

9. bearsonacid

bearsonacid

They may start doing ticketed releases like how Alesmith does it. Maybe split it up into different pickup sessions.

I talked to Mr. hill on Saturday and he said that if they just put bottles out they get slammed on Saturday. If they do an organized release like last week they get slammed with more people. Either way they are fucked.

I think an online ticketed release can help him control the flow of people better and keep them from lining up outside his house at 6am.

I'd imagine the rest of Flora satsuma might get put in shelves tomorrow. That wasn't actually released yet other than the 300+ bottles last week right? Sankt Hans sold out last saturday so hopefully they get some regular bottles on shelves too.

10. shadowane

shadowane

If he doesn't want a shitshow at all, tickets are really the only way to go. That way everyone knows what beers they can buy / pick up and don't have to show up right when Hill Farmstead opens. If he gives people two weekends to pick up bottles, then it will spread them out even more.

InfinityonTrial likes this.
  11. InfinityonTrial

InfinityonTrial

Yeah, ticketed really is the only way to go at this point. Put some for sale online and some for sale at the brewery.

By not announcing anything he's just asking for his email to get spammed looking for info.

12. Don

Don

I think his hang up with online tickets is the locals. I think you could account for that with a certain amount of local ticket sales or something of the like.

13. shadowane

shadowane

Can't win 'em all. Local tickets would work but then you'll still have people driving up to be there first to get them. Look at how the FiftyFifty december party tickets went to see how that goes.

14. bearsonacid

bearsonacid

His problem is well beyond keeping locals happy. I'm sure it stays at the front of his mind all day but he needs to utilize every advantage with controlling crowds and traffic.

If he doesn't allow trustees and a strict pickup/no refunds/no excuses policy I think it will help. Doing the ticket sales close to release date and having a Wednesday/Thursday pickup would be local friendly

15. evilc

evilc

Cliffz?

16. Frank

Frank

General douchebaggery.

17. kuemmelbrau

kuemmelbrau

so i'm okay with this thread as long as when someone negatively comments on HF you guys don't go getting all 'high and mighty crusaders protecting st. hill' on us. that bs needs to die with the other site.

18. Osyrus

Osyrus

Yay, a single HF thread again! Nice to have all the info in a single spot.

Future releases (at this point, per talking to Shaun this weekend, subject to many future changes) are to be semi-silent shelf releases for standard bottles and special bottles (think everything from Anna to CD to BoT). Very special releases (DBD, Ann, one-offs) will be ticketed in some fashion, and correct that the biggest hangup is locals. Releases that have a number of different bottles available could also see tickets.

Again, that will likely change based on individual circumstances. But that's the plan for now. It will be interesting to see how the expansion and increased capacity impact those plans.

19. shadowane

shadowane

I'm sure he'll keep trying different methods until he finds one he likes.

Osyrus likes this.
  20. bearsonacid

bearsonacid

So long as we are on the same page, I see way more HF trolling than anyone being high and mighty so keep the BS to yourself.

gn0sis and silentjay like this.