Hoof Hearted?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottJWing

Reaction score
Figured it might be time to start a Hoof Hearted Brewing thread for us Ohio shitheads. This new batch of Konkey Dong might have just became my new favorite HH DIPA. Much haze, wow.

Also, how sick is this custom Konkey Dong arcade from Arcade Super Awesome. Bring on those cease and desist letters!

Next up, Roller Blabe Oct 18th.

Not sure what they are sending you guys, but all their IPAs (Musk of the Minotaur, South of 11, Roller Blabe, Konkey Dong, Dragonsaddle) are good to great. They do a lot of hoppy saisons that are worth checkjng out as well (Sidepipin, Saizzurp, Tub Life).

Not sure what they are sending you guys, but all their IPAs (Musk of the Minotaur, South of 11, Roller Blabe, Konkey Dong, Dragonsaddle) are good to great. They do a lot of hoppy saisons that are worth checkjng out as well (Sidepipin, Saizzurp, Tub Life).

Nice, thanks. How would you rank the IPAs?

In response to the thread title...

I did.

18kyrzloilcd0gif.gif

kills me that the name/branding is so god awful, but yeah they are doing solid stuff so far, particularly roller blabe

My order would be Blabe>South of Eleven>>Musk. Haven't Donged my Konkey yet but will tonight and report back.

Agree with this ranking but would put Konkey Dong even with Blabe (at least this batch) and add Dragonsaddle after Blabe.

kills me that the name/branding is so god awful, but yeah they are doing solid stuff so far, particularly roller blabe

Meh, i think its fairly split between people who hate it or love it. I love the artwork and most of the names, some are kinda dumb though. Speaking of branding, I just saw the official Bodhi label and think it looks like it belongs on a mid 90's Old Milwaukee bottle, so different strokes.

having to say "who farted" (or avoid it by pronouncing hoof weirdly) when you refer to the brewery is not something i can abide

i also have little use for puerile sex puns with my beers- i see enough of that on the internet or whatever already

having to say "who farted" (or avoid it by pronouncing hoof weirdly) when you refer to the brewery is not something i can abide

i also have little use for puerile sex puns with my beers- i see enough of that on the internet or whatever already
I think my thing is the word "fart" being associated with something I am going to consume. Not even kidding. Just grosses me out. I have been able to overlook that, though, as I am a big fan of their stuff.

Loving Konkey. Reminds me of the cloudy Bodhi glory days. You can't tell me cloudy Bodhi is not better than regular Bodhi.
Hnnngggg!

Are these "can whales" like Treehouse or can they be easily obtained?
If anyone wants to do a quick local 4 local can swap, let me know. Would love to try this and other Hoof cans.
Pipeworks, Half Acre, and Rev Unsessionable (if you guys don't get this one)?

Are these offerings easily obtainable in Columbus/ Cincinnati? I'll be rolling through tomorrow through Sat. If not, I have some Trillium I am bringing with me if there is any interest in IP trades. Also looking for Jackie O's BA stouts and wilds. Any advice is appreciated.

Loving Konkey. Reminds me of the cloudy Bodhi glory days. You can't tell me cloudy Bodhi is not better than regular Bodhi.

God i miss the days of hazy Bodhi. It's just not the same anymore. Although the latest batch with what i assume was hopped with the recent harvest is pretty killer. Their Yakima fresh hop makes me pretty moist too. Wish those dudes would stop caring so much about mass producing Pale Ale and IPA to every gas station in Ohio.

God i miss the days of hazy Bodhi. It's just not the same anymore. Although the latest batch with what i assume was hopped with the recent harvest is pretty killer. Their Yakima fresh hop makes me pretty moist too. Wish those dudes would stop caring so much about mass producing Pale Ale and IPA to every gas station in Ohio.
Eh, I don't question Tony and Eric. They're growing the right way: Slow. Also IPA and Pale Ale are their best sellers, as hard as that is for us geeks to believe.

God i miss the days of hazy Bodhi. It's just not the same anymore.

Right? A year or so ago they bounced back and forth between cloudy and clear, Im convinced cloudy was noticeably better. Im not a smart man, but I know what love is.

Eh, I don't question Tony and Eric
I don't question their brews - I'm so glad to call them my hometown favorite, but I don't like their attitude. Someone on twitter mentioned that they wished they'd keep bodhi unfiltered and their response was pretty rough... Something along the lines of "don't tell us how to brew our beer".

Hnnngggg!

Are these "can whales" like Treehouse or can they be easily obtained?
If anyone wants to do a quick local 4 local can swap, let me know. Would love to try this and other Hoof cans.
Pipeworks, Half Acre, and Rev Unsessionable (if you guys don't get this one)?
They are still pretty small and only started canning this year. They hold canning events every few weeks. Easy to get your share if you attend the events. Some portion then sees distribution to a handful of shops around town - most places set a modest limit per person.
I've parted with all I care to part with myself, but you should be able to find someone willing to trade. I suggest you arrange a pretrade for Roller Blabe which is to be canned in about two weeks. Blabe is fantastic.

They are still pretty small and only started canning this year. They hold canning events every few weeks. Easy to get your share if you attend the events. Some portion then sees distribution to a handful of shops around town - most places set a modest limit per person.
I've parted with all I care to part with myself, but you should be able to find someone willing to trade. I suggest you arrange a pretrade for Roller Blabe which is to be canned in about two weeks. Blabe is fantastic.
Thanks for this info. I'll have to see if I can line something up.

I don't question their brews - I'm so glad to call them my hometown favorite, but I don't like their attitude. Someone on twitter mentioned that they wished they'd keep bodhi unfiltered and their response was pretty rough... Something along the lines of "don't tell us how to brew our beer".

So much this. They just come off as so self serious and bullyish. Between that and basically telling Daily Growler to go **** themselves you can't put our beer in crowlers bc we are old and scared of change, i've been really turned off by them lately. For being around as long as they have and still not having a taproom, or packaging your most loved beers, i can't help but be critical. That said, i will still drink the **** out of their beer, but would much rather support guys like HH who have a sense of humor and are being innovative and humble.

Did any shops around Columbus get konkey dong?

I think your best bet is to hit Arcade Super Awesome/Yellow Brick and drink your share there. What little went to shops is probably already gone, unless you want to drive to Lancaster, Ameristop came and bought a **** ton.

I think your best bet is to hit Arcade Super Awesome/Yellow Brick and drink your share there. What little went to shops is probably already gone, unless you want to drive to Lancaster, Ameristop came and bought a **** ton.
Thanks! Been meaning to stop in to Arcade Super Awesome anyways, might as well go this weekend.

New order: (This batch of) Konkey Dong = (Most recent batch of) Roller Blabe > South of Eleven >> Musk of the Minotaur. Haven't saddled up to the dragon yet, but will once cans are available.

The can I poured of Konkey might be the fastest I've ever consumed any DIPA ever. Didn't want to put the glass down.

From an appearance standpoint, the cloudy/murkiness....is that a technical defect in the brewing process or is it that truly the desired result?

I wish some of you guys would have seen the shitstorm this beer has caused in some of the Cleveland beer groups. My God, people are very passionate about the beer and the brewery (on both sides)

They used the 1318 yeast with this batch of Dong and Blabe, which i believe is the same Alchemist and HF use. It's super high (or low, i always mix these up) flocculating so the yeast never quite drops out of suspension giving it that hazy orange/pineapple juice look. Some beer traditionalists seem to hate it and consider it a defect where myself and tons of others love it. Seems like the ratings on all their hazy beers are either "this is the greatest DIPA i've ever had" or "this beer isn't finished, and its cloudy and gross." Those people are lame and not to be trusted ha.

Anyone near Columbus have a HH teku they would trade IP tomorrow? I will be passing through in the morning (fairly early, probably 9-9:15 am). Was gonna make a quick stop at Weiland's. I can offer any 2 of the following glasses. Hell, choose 3.

-Night Shift 2015 Barrel Society Glass
-Night Shift taster glass
-Founders Backwoods Bastard glass
-Weyerbacher Sunday Morning Stout mug
-Pizza Boy Sunnysize Up Little Amps Coffee Stout mug (small chip on the side)

I can send pics of any of these if someone is interested.

Will be heading out their for rollerblade release the 18th. Had them last night for the first time and was not disappointed.

Blabe was quite good, but I didn't love this batch of DONG. However, given how much every Hoof Hearted fanboy and fangirl has been raving about it, I will put DONG in my mouth again sometime in the future. I thought South of Eleven was boozy and, quite frankly, a mess, but we all have our tastes and likes/dislikes.

As for the yeast, 1318 isn't the same as Conan, which Alchemist uses, but people have speculated Hill and Tired Hands use 1318. I think Columbus used 1318 for cloudy Bodhi too. It does add some nice fruitiness at the expense of clarity. Your mileage will vary and your opinion is the only one that matters. For my two cents, I prefer a less hazy beer and I don't remember HF IPA's being quite as murky as HH.

So Maine is going to see their beers but they don't ship to Toledo????

I hate living in the NW section of this state.

So Maine is going to see their beers but they don't ship to Toledo????

I hate living in the NW section of this state.

Yeah I was really surprised, I think the distributer here maybe has a personal relationship with the guys (just guessing)? It seems really random. Not like we have a shortage of hoppy 16oz cans in this city at the moment. Interested to try them though.

Picked up SoE and Bodhi this past week. Wife and I both enjoyed the HH but had to give the nod to Columbus. Just too much sweetness for me. Hope to grab Konkey, Blabe or one of their stouts next time I'm in the area.

They used the 1318 yeast with this batch of Dong and Blabe, which i believe is the same Alchemist and HF use. It's super high (or low, i always mix these up) flocculating so the yeast never quite drops out of suspension giving it that hazy orange/pineapple juice look. Some beer traditionalists seem to hate it and consider it a defect where myself and tons of others love it. Seems like the ratings on all their hazy beers are either "this is the greatest DIPA i've ever had" or "this beer isn't finished, and its cloudy and gross." Those people are lame and not to be trusted ha.
aka Jason Alstrom aka ********* #2

Bringing some Willoughby peanut butter cup to the rollerblade release if anyone is interested in trading for a crowler? maybe some other stuff as well to drink in line.

Not going to be able to make the dragon saddle canning. If anyone could help out with a 4 pk (or even a can or two to help out in secret Santa bif), id be grateful. I know it's down to a case limit otherwise I would have asked for a case ;)

Last edited:
Back