Horror Movies

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by Dunt, Oct 1, 2014.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. regularjohn

regularjohn

Yeah that was solid, Night of the Living Dead is probably my favorite horror remake. The 1990 version with Tony Todd is so good.

PurityControl88 and miikezombie like this.
  2. BobCobb

BobCobb

Mrs BobCobb and I just saw it. Somewhat disappointed, at least compared to expectations going in. Would like to revisit at some point, as I think there are some things I did not give the attention that was due.

I will say I was a little distracted shushing some asshole 20 year olds, which I felt cut into the enjoyment.

(Link to media)

nanobrew likes this.
  3. Dunt

Dunt

Just got out about an hour ago, had a completely different reaction. I absolutely loved it.

I personally liked how the film kept you guessing on whether it was supernatural/occult or some form of mental illness until near the end. The ending was a little strange, but it didn't really ruin the movie for me. Thought the camera work, score, and mood over jump scares were all very effective/well done. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it again and picking up on stuff I missed the first time through.

I thought Toni Collette was really fucking good in it too.

litheum94 and lurchingbeast like this.
  4. BobCobb

BobCobb

Spoilers

For me, "near the end" was much too early here and spoiled a great performance by Collette. When it veered into the openly supernatural -- the seances, the lights, etc. -- in many cases clearly not a dream (absent a big final reveal that it was *all* a dream), that just did it for me. I had already seen the comparison, but it felt like a cheapened Rosemary's Baby.

Collette really was fantastic, but actually seemed underutilized.

Dunt likes this.
  5. Podunkparte

Podunkparte

Willing to bet those chucklefucks really affected your experience. Why can't people who want to talk go someplace other than literally the one place youre not supposed to?

Pretty sure my cause of death will be telling some asshole in a theater to shut the fuck up and I'll be stabbed with a churro or something.

litheum94 and jeevo like this.
  6. regularjohn

regularjohn

Sorry for partying.

I'm actually guilty of laughing during terrible horror movies. I saw 30 Days of Night in theaters, and never in a million years could i have anticipated how awful it was going to be. Seriously the biggest pos....would not recommend to anyone.

7. BobCobb

BobCobb

There was some laughing here. A few scenes where I could understand a quick chuckle, but these were the I want everyone in the theater to hear me belly laugh because I found humor during a really dark scene.

It was the constant whispering that really had me boiling though. I'll consider it a parenting success if my kid knows that once a movie starts, you shut the f*** up.

8. Dunt

Dunt

We had a couple of those. I wanted to ask them who hurt them that they could find humor at a scene like that.

lurchingbeast and BobCobb like this.
  9. jeevo

jeevo

Has anyone seen/heard of this? It sounds like a blast. Looks like it's already been released pretty much everywhere except the states. It will be coming out here in October.

Anna and the Apocalypse: A zombie apocalypse threatens the sleepy town of Little Haven--at Christmas--forcing Anna and her friends to fight, slash and sing their way to survival, facing the undead in a desperate race to reach their loved ones.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/anna_and_the_apocalypse/

PurityControl88 likes this.
  10. regularjohn

regularjohn

This is awesome.....maybe some of saw it before but i just found it recently.

11. miikezombie

miikezombie

Not sure if anyone was a fan of Monstervision, but Shudder is in the middle of a 24hr Joe Bob Briggs hosted marathon called The Last Drive In. So far they have shown Blood Feast, Tourist Trap, and Sleepaway Camp. Basket Case is about to start. You can probably find a free trial code online.

Dunt and litheum94 like this.
  12. Dunt

Dunt

Any of you watched Channel Zero? Just heard about it for the first time, it looks really good. Looks like it just started streaming on Shudder as well.

13. matedog

matedog

I’ve seen all three seasons though I watched season 1out of sequence. I could really rewatch that one since it was the most interesting. Production value/set design are always top notch even if the payoff isn’t ever going to be as good as the set up.

litheum94 likes this.
  14. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

Suggestions on scary/horror movies for a 10yo?

We've done a bit of the classics so far (birds, psycho, shining, poltergeist, exorcist). on to IT next and then maybe 80s stuff? Thinking child's play, pet cemetery, lost boys next. Looking for things without too much explicit sex. Gore or language isn't an issue.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

15. Saind

Saind

The Gate

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093075/

Der Fuchs and miikezombie like this.
  16. miikezombie

miikezombie

Monster Squad
    Evil Dead 2
    Army of Darkness

Probably not a good idea to have to explain the tree rape scene in the 1st Evil Dead.

17. Saind

Saind

Does Critters count as horror?

litheum94, Der Fuchs and miikezombie like this.
  18. Dunt

Dunt

You are an awesome parent. I mean that whole-heartedly.

19. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

She really wants to watch them and hasn't been scared of anything yet. So there we went. Honestly, I'm not even a huge fan of the genre. I don't dislike it, but I typically watch other stuff.

Saind and miikezombie like this.
  20. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

Watched the 1st evil dead tonight by myself, got dat vhs. I think she won't catch on to what's happening in that scene, it isn't too visually explicit. I think I could pass it off as 'just holding her down'. It may be the perfect series for her.

We had already watched monster squad. She didn't ask about the pedophile teacher jokes in the first 10 minutes, it but I cringed at the prospect.

Got me thinking of classic gore stuff. Does night of living dead etc have much sexuality in them? Nudity isn't really a big deal if not in a sexual context. She has a brother.

miikezombie likes this.
Group Builder