HotD Dave

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enough nerds in PDX to split a bottle of Dave over the next couple days? Probably just asking because I'm there and I'm drunk. Obviously a small bottle, but if a few dudes want to split it, I'd be down. Whatever. Cheers.

I will buy $15 worth. Except, that's .12 ounces, isn't it? Damn.

Hey my name is Dave and I love burning Money!
tumblr_inline_ntov92iLxq1rf8so2_500.gif

giphy.gif

I mean, it sort of was, until it became an always-available $1500+ on-premise only bottle.
There's simply no way it is all from that 1994 batch. It must have been rebrewed. No way he has the forethought to hold onto cases and cases of bottles to sell at random times over 22 years.

There's simply no way it is all from that 1994 batch. It must have been rebrewed. No way he has the forethought to hold onto cases and cases of bottles to sell at random times over 22 years.
Alan doesn't know when he released OG Adam from the Wood. I'm not putting it past him to pull a Kuhnhenn and find cases of beer between the brewpub, the brewery, and his home.

Also, Dave has always been priced way above normal market prices. Didn't it debut at $60 or some ****? Only the craziest people ever buy it. So it makes sense that very few bottles have been sold. It was originally released 4 years after the initial brew at a barleywine fest.

What's the deal with it anyway? Is it only arbitrarily that expensive or was it made with some super expensive ingredient/aged in a crazy barrel or something like that?

What's the deal with it anyway? Is it only arbitrarily that expensive or was it made with some super expensive ingredient/aged in a crazy barrel or something like that?
Triple ice-distilled from Adam from the Wood batch 1, extremely tiny production, soy sauce bottles.

Wait, has anyone actually tried it?

For a 20 year old beer, it's incredibly boozy, completely lacks the complexity of, say, a Double Black. Unfortunately, many bottles at crazy price tags are rarely worth the price. Lambic has a higher hit ratio in my experience, but even then, storage conditions often are a determining factor.

Yes, not good, not worth anywhere near the price.
I disagree. I actually enjoyed it quite a lot the times I've had it, as did most of the people in the groups I was with at the time and I think it's one of the few American beers that are actually worth larger sums of money. It's an expensive bottle for sure. But there are many other bottles (lambic included) worth this much or more that are far worse in taste or value than this one. Just my $0.02.

I disagree. I actually enjoyed it quite a lot the times I've had it, as did most of the people in the groups I was with at the time and I think it's one of the few American beers that are actually worth larger sums of money. It's an expensive bottle for sure. But there are many other bottles (lambic included) worth this much or more that are far worse in taste or value than this one. Just my $0.02.
True that there are other bottles that are as expensive, but crappy. I only had about 1.5oz of Dave and I did not pay for it, and I would never pay for it after having had it. I suppose if someone said $15 for 2oz I'd have it again, but once we get to $40, or the more realistic $200 - $300, I would rather get a few drams of insane whisky, or open some bottles at DHVL, Akkurat, Cantillon, Moeder etc... but maybe that comes from being close by and having been lucky to try a bunch of things, and not being a big fan of HotD.

I was fortunate to have Dave a few years ago for the price of free split between 5 people for a friends 50ty birthday. Is it worth $1500? No. Is it worth the $80 price tag from around 2009? Yes. It's not nearly the best beer I've ever had but it is a testament to the fact that Alan can brew non wild beers that actually do age very well and stand the test of time. The bottle we split was extremely well cellared and did not taste like soy; we agreed it was a molasses, brown sugar, coconut, sherry, and smoke dominated flavor profile. It really is just an intense Adam where the booze heat is really mild. A fun tick but not worth $1500.

I wish Alan would remake this and sell bottles for $80, 1 pp. I think he'd have to temporarily get a distillation license since he can't naturally ferment the beer to 29%.

Back