US - Northwest HotD Dave

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by brother_kenneth, Feb 10, 2016.

1. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

The price of admission is far below market price.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  2. CommanderofAwesome

CommanderofAwesome

Wait, has anyone actually tried it?

3. Digita7693

Digita7693

Yes, not good, not worth anywhere near the price.

CommanderofAwesome likes this.
  4. Dunt

Dunt

For a 20 year old beer, it's incredibly boozy, completely lacks the complexity of, say, a Double Black. Unfortunately, many bottles at crazy price tags are rarely worth the price. Lambic has a higher hit ratio in my experience, but even then, storage conditions often are a determining factor.

5. GrumpyOldTroll

GrumpyOldTroll

I disagree. I actually enjoyed it quite a lot the times I've had it, as did most of the people in the groups I was with at the time and I think it's one of the few American beers that are actually worth larger sums of money. It's an expensive bottle for sure. But there are many other bottles (lambic included) worth this much or more that are far worse in taste or value than this one. Just my $0.02.

6. Digita7693

Digita7693

True that there are other bottles that are as expensive, but crappy. I only had about 1.5oz of Dave and I did not pay for it, and I would never pay for it after having had it. I suppose if someone said $15 for 2oz I'd have it again, but once we get to $40, or the more realistic $200 - $300, I would rather get a few drams of insane whisky, or open some bottles at DHVL, Akkurat, Cantillon, Moeder etc... but maybe that comes from being close by and having been lucky to try a bunch of things, and not being a big fan of HotD.

LuxWanderer, MikeC, mateoloco and 2 others like this.
  7. waltersrj

waltersrj

I was fortunate to have Dave a few years ago for the price of free split between 5 people for a friends 50ty birthday. Is it worth $1500? No. Is it worth the $80 price tag from around 2009? Yes. It's not nearly the best beer I've ever had but it is a testament to the fact that Alan can brew non wild beers that actually do age very well and stand the test of time. The bottle we split was extremely well cellared and did not taste like soy; we agreed it was a molasses, brown sugar, coconut, sherry, and smoke dominated flavor profile. It really is just an intense Adam where the booze heat is really mild. A fun tick but not worth $1500.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  8. gunhaver

gunhaver

i have. it was good. i didn't have to pay anything to try it though so that helps

9. waltersrj

waltersrj

I wish Alan would remake this and sell bottles for $80, 1 pp. I think he'd have to temporarily get a distillation license since he can't naturally ferment the beer to 29%.

brother_kenneth likes this.