How awful is High Water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tosh1

Reaction score
i figure we have a Mad Fitz thread we can rock this as well

4LoFKO3h.jpg

This is beyond awful.

Discuss.

I kinda like Campfire STOUT but whatev
I thought the same until I ordered it at a concert venue in Oakland and got a pint of warm, flat Campfire Stout. That was a less than pleasant experience.

That wasn't fully Highwater's fault - temp obviously wasn't, flatness may or may not have been - but drinking a pint of flat, warm stout tends to stick with you.

yeah i bought a bunch of their BA stuff that was exclusive to healthy spirits a few year ago, all 3 were super shitty. i think it was their stout, baltic porter and barlywine. never bought anything from them again

i think you check out indian wells

I still try to give the High Water stuff a shot because of the good stuff Steve used to make at Valley Brew back in the day (RIP in peace...sort of). Uberhoppy and Old Inventory were particularly excellent.

When he first started High Water, I thought the hoppy beers and the barleywine were good, probably because they were the exact same recipes he'd been making at Valley (at least that's the popular belief). The newer stuff I've had hasn't been near as good, unfortunately. Although I can't say that I'm overly excited about cucumber kolsch or some of the other new-ish releases.

Last edited:
yeah i bought a bunch of their BA stuff that was exclusive to healthy spirits a few year ago, all 3 were super shitty. i think it was their stout, baltic porter and barlywine. never bought anything from them again

i think you check out indian wells

Is Indian Wells still going? I need to make it a point to try more of their stuff eventually. Raspberry Ale is so impressively bad, probably the worst beer I can recall drinking that wasn't due to infection/contamination/etc.

Is Indian Wells still going? I need to make it a point to try more of their stuff eventually. Raspberry Ale is so impressively bad, probably the worst beer I can recall drinking that wasn't due to infection/contamination/etc.
oh yea they are still going strong, have a weird following, probably because they are out in the middle of no where. a few years ago some of their beers hit a world market near me, foul stuff

maybe they know they are bad and running with it. amnesia ipa, lobotomy bock, black out stout?? they must be laughing at the people that buy their ****

Yeah, I’m with Andrew on High Water. I really want to like them because Steve is such a nice guy and a OG on the Bay Area beer scene...Uberhoppy was the first whale I traded on the regular. I think I even scored a bottle of Crianza Helena for one among a few others back in the day, if you can believe that.

The most recent batches of Campfire are too burnt and roasted for me. I don’t see the hoppy beers on draft much anymore and I stay away from the bombers. I pretty much only buy the sours now, and even that’s VERY sporadic. They all seem to have that sour jolly rancher thing going on, which isn’t my favorite character in sours, but they’re well above average IMO.

There are much worse breweries around, but overall they have been disappointing considering their pedigree.

Back