How old is too old?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdmillard

Reaction score
The best beer I ever had would be a tie between a 2001 Westy, and a 2006 Stille Nacht. Both were absolutely incredible. This brings up my question...

I recently bout some Westy, including a red cap, that is 1960's/1970' vintage. I actually bought them more for collector value, but then started thinking...what would that taste like? Obviously, I haven't been around to definitively state that they have been properly cellared for the entire time, but I reasonably believe that they have. Whited you think? Too old?

In the name of science, I think I have to crack at least one of them!
D4E46FFF-82A7-4DB5-8A57-65DB4BE1EB4D_zpsf4fdfvm6.jpg

In general the question of "what's too old?" isn't really answerable. It depends too much on specifics and on your personal tastes. jedwards probably doesn't have an upper bound, you probably do.

But with regard to those particular beers, it mostly depends on storage. Let's assume good storage, they're probably from some Belgian cellar after all. The blond is probably, at the very least, pretty weird, maybe outright bad. The 12 and the red cap could both easily be excellent. I've had both with about 20 years on them and love them. I think, based on my experience, that if you liked a 2001 12 a lot then you'll also like a 20-year-old 12 a lot, but forty is beyond my experience. I think the 12 has the best chance of being excellent, or at least interesting, but if it were me I'd open them all.

Also, super jealous of that haul!

Pretty sure that all will be opened...and likely soon. I don't know that I could sit and look at them...staring at me...taunting me...

Oh yeah...they will be consumed. Report to follow!

Working on a load of 70's, 80's and 90's vintages, too.

Basically i agree with stu. In my experience (I've had about 10 different 50+ yo beers) lighter colored beers tend to break down faster than darker beers with the exception of a dark beer with a lot of roasted malts which tend to turn really acrid over such a long time. quads do great in general with srs age as do barley wines, but I haven't had any good experiences with any other styles older than 25 years (lambic included).

I vote drink them.

Pretty sure that all will be opened...and likely soon. I don't know that I could sit and look at them...staring at me...taunting me...

Oh yeah...they will be consumed. Report to follow!

Working on a load of 70's, 80's and 90's vintages, too.
If you have spares I'm hella ISO. Was never able to get enough vintage Trappist stuff when I was doing IP trades.

I can almost read all the numbers on mine, but they are from the '80's. At least from the others I've seen in the wild. Though that isn't much.

If you can read anything let me know. I'd be interested to know if they are indeed that old.

I can almost read all the numbers on mine, but they are from the '80's. At least from the others I've seen in the wild. Though that isn't much.

If you can read anything let me know. I'd be interested to know if they are indeed that old.
Read the numbers like a date stamp? I thought they didn't start doing that until the mid-to-late nineties.

Read the numbers like a date stamp? I thought they didn't start doing that until the mid-to-late nineties.
You could be correct, I have some digital markings on the tops of my caps. Which might put it closer to the end of production.

Back