US - Mid-Atlantic Hudson Valley Region

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by DigDug1810, Jan 18, 2018.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. Thevicster

Thevicster

Possibly, depending on what she who must be obeyed plans are.

I'm wondering WTF a NJ brewery is doing on the list though.....probably raginasian238 fault...

MKtheGeneral and BadJustin like this.
  2. BadJustin

BadJustin Premium Supporter Contributor

I'll be pouring for keef, Woodland. Also, see you this weekend?

3. Thevicster

Thevicster

Ya

BadJustin likes this.
  4. cavedave

cavedave

I'm undecided, most friends not going this year.

Oldladyfingers and BadJustin like this.
  5. caninhand

caninhand

Wanted to pick the brains of local Hudson Valley-ers: Since my business in New Jersey imploded before it got off the ground, I’ve been considering taking my money and plans into the Hudson Valley. Basically looking to open a beer/natural wine/cheese bar. I’ve looked at spaces in Beacon and some as far north as Hudson. Any other towns that I should look at? I don’t mind going to a town that doesn’t have a scene or culture yet, but I want to make sure that any business I open can be sustainable. Any insight would be appreciated.

6. Oldladyfingers

Oldladyfingers

Marlboro/Milton, NY could really use this kind of establishment; you'd get people staying at Buttermilk Falls, folks visiting The Walkway over the Hudson, and concert-goers from The Falcon. Plus, it's in the vicinity of Newburgh/Beacon/Poughkeepsie etc.

As a Beacon resident, I'm often shocked at how empty the wine and cheese bars are on a Friday night. There's a boom-or-bust element to the town; with that said, most craft establishments kill it (i.e. Draught Industries and now newly opened Melzingah Tap House).

7. DigDug1810

DigDug1810

i'd assume this is seasonal too.. meaning April - October is the time to be in business... can't imagine many non locals vist Nov - March.. that's 5 months of downtime and makes those seasonal business that much more difficult to be successful in

i'm quite intrigued lately with the localized coffee scene... it seems to be growing as more and more realize that a local roaster can produce a cup o joe that is unrivaled to that of any chain or other national spot... seems coffee is kind of going through what craft beer went through in like late 2008-2010 period... more and more are getting well reversed in the specifics of beans and its showing.... my friend was asking me the other day what i think the next big boom would be in so far as food/drink and i told him i think it'll be in the way of local roasters/coffee spots.... not only bc of caffeine but because of flavor.. more and more people are willing to pay a premium for the good so more and more spots will open up... coffee conversely to beer may actually be a better model too for a year round spot vs beer in a tourism/geographical location where there is an influx of travelers due to weather.... sure beer may boom in hudson region from April - October but coffee could thrive from Jan - December.....

just my .02 as an outsider who likes to look at shit like this... i think bigger numbers will come from the bean than the grain in the next 7 years... beer is kind of hitting a bubble regardless if numbers are still good... every god damn place here in NJ is getting a brewery, and every place is another shit spot where capital outweighs experience.. it's home-brew after home-brew being spun as "professional" level craft.. harder to shift through the shit to find the goods... coffee will hit that level too i feel in 7 years but now is the time if you have the desire and knowledge to capitalize on the next frontier....

dude i work with was asking bc mainly pot business is booming and he was asking what other industries may boom soon.. coffee being legal caffeine seemed to me to be one that will blossom in the short term

caninhand and Oldladyfingers like this.
  8. regularjohn

regularjohn

New City? Check out District 96/Burger Loft they're always packed....this is a nice little area that seems untouched with new craft stuff. If you had a spot local to them that would be awesome....i don't know if there is a lot of other craft bars in that area but i'm sure someone like tikk can weigh in on that.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    caninhand and tikk like this.
  9. mvl339

mvl339

Anyone know of any good brunch spots near Beacon that have good beer?

10. Oldladyfingers

Oldladyfingers

I can't lie-- the brunch scene here is not great. Your best bet is to have a delicious cup of coffee and a bangin' breakfast at Beacon Bread Company. The guys over at Draught had a brunch thing going on, which was delicious and offered a good beer deal, but I'm not sure if they're doing it anymore. Also-- if you're in a pinch and looking for a quick bagel, Downtown Bagel in Newburgh is the place to go!

Phin likes this.
  11. PubGrubTrub

PubGrubTrub

Have you thought of Catskill? Sleepy downtown but could use a space like what you're suggesting. The town is trying to attract businesses to the downtown area. Catskill is right across the river from Hudson.

EDIT: Also agree with DigDug1810, if you add a coffee element to what you're proposing (not familiar with the laws in NY so not sure if you can or can't) you'd have a hell of a business idea. I'm leaning towards yes you can do it in NY because in Hudson there's a bookstore with a bar that typically has a pretty good craft lineup.

caninhand likes this.
  12. caninhand

caninhand

Yeah, I’ve been to that book store a few times. It’s a cool space. There are already a few solid coffee shops in town though, so that makes me cautious to invest too much in a coffee program, if we decided to end up in Hudson.

PubGrubTrub likes this.
  13. tikk

tikk

I'd love to see some more in the Rockland area, especially one run by someone from this community, but the area has a ton more craft options than when I moved here.
    Rockland now has:
    An amazing, but disorganized bottle shop, Cable beverage.

4 Breweries D96, Industrial Arts, Defiant and Gentle Giant.

2 great craft beer bars
    Ambulance Brewhouse and Growler and Gill. G&g seems more like what you are trying to do. They had a coffee shop that didnt last very long.

New City is a bit of a wasteland, but the others I mentioned aren't very far away.

PubGrubTrub and regularjohn like this.
  14. Knine

Knine

Has anyone on here checked out Obercreek Brewing yet? I wanted to check out a brewery I knew absolutely nothing about recently and found this little gem in Wappingers Falls. It's in a little shack on a farm in a residential neighborhood (think early Treehouse vibe) maybe 10min north of the 84 on the Beacon side of the bridge. Beers were solid, small operation that is only open once a week on Saturday. Seems like a hobby project for a couple of guys but if you're doing the Hudson Valley tour I would suggest making the stop for some pours and growlers.

15. PubGrubTrub

PubGrubTrub

I think if you did a similar approach with coffee/beer/books in Catskill, that could work.

16. PubGrubTrub

PubGrubTrub

Haven't heard of them but my wife and I are planning to do the Stormville Yard Sale on Saturday. Sounds like a nice place to stop by after. I'll look into it. Thanks for the lead.

17. Oldladyfingers

Oldladyfingers

I second this! Great beer, great people, great environment. If you're looking for a relaxing time after an HVB shit-show release, go to Obercreek.

PubGrubTrub and Knine like this.
  18. PubGrubTrub

PubGrubTrub

I went to Obercreek last weekend and loved it. The whole setup is awesome. Both beer and staff are wonderful.

Oldladyfingers likes this.
  19. preluderl

preluderl

Welp I can see this thread doesn't get a ton of burn... But, does anyone in the region regularly visit Hudson Valley Brewery?

Gonna be visiting in a couple of months and I've never had any of their stuff so I'd like to try a couple of things if possible before my visit. If anyone goes and would be open to a swap for some Pittsburgh stuff, or other bottles I have let me know. Very curious to try their beer.

rrrjjj likes this.
  20. seedavid

seedavid

I think I'm gonna go to Angry Orchard tomorrow. Any recs for food nearby?