Hunahpu (vintage identification)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stakem1

Reaction score
I know many are against the aging of this beer but hey, sometimes it happens. Id like to use this thread to form a solid reference that others can use to identify which batch of Huna they got in the event they find themselves with multiple years and dont know which is which. (I think they started using bottle dates in 2013 but that leaves 3 years as a mystery.

From what I can gather, there may or may not have been a small batch bottled in 2009. Old reviews suggest Joey traded or gifted some to people. However, I see some folks referring to growler fills as "bottles" in that same time period.

2010 appears to be the first real talked about bottling with a full rectangle label.
2011 is also a full label with a red banner across the top with the CCB logo
2012 is the start of the cut, rounded labels
2013 is the same with the mayan being more definied and less "greyed out" in the image.

There has also been some changes to their caps (plain verse deep mahogany logo verse brighter red logo on the cap.)

If anyone can post pictures with definitive knowledge of year, it would be greatly appreciated. I have some pictures I can take and contribute but wanted to first see if my generalization of the above seems sound.

I thought my 2011 actually said 2011 on the label (and not their janky bottle dating stamp)
Do you recall where? Looking at the front label of what I assume is a 2011 with the red ribbon, I dont see any date.

I meant to take some pics last night and never got around to it.

All except the 2010 have the date listed on the label.

The 2010 is an old label without the date. The 2011 is nearly the same label but says "2011" in red font in the upper corner.

I'll have to check some old pictures to see exactly, but I know for certain that the BA Hunahpus that were released in September of 2011 had the newer labels (not rectangle) with the date stamped on the label.

Here are some pictures. First the full vertical from 2010 - 2014 (left to right):

ie4htc.jpg

Here's a close-up of the 2010 label (sorry for the blurry pic). Someone noted, correctly, that his is the only year of Huna without the year on the label someplace.

rjh8he.jpg

And the 2011 year in the upper right hand corner:

15pjome.jpg

And the past three years have the date/year of the release on the back label:

2enmb79.jpg

If anyone has questions about caps or anything else, let me know. The years of Huna have been very different right out of the gate heat-wise, but I've generally found they're the best between 12-18 months for my palate, & the 2012 was my favorite year.

in my experience the beer does not age well. 2011 was incredible fresh and by 2013 was showing serious oxidation. 2014 first batch was insanely good fresh.

Back