Hunahpu's Day 2016: Saturday, March 12

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulianB1

Reaction score
12244364_1029384443748300_3672177641388617657_o.png

The 7th Annual Hunahpu's Day® is Saturday, March 12, 2016.

For the first time in its storied history, Hunahpu's Day® will be held offsite away from our brewery, at Cotanchobee Fort Brooke Park in beautiful Downtown Tampa, Florida. A huge thanks to the City of Tampa and the Tampa Downtown Partnership for working with us on this!

And here. we. go.

Anyone familiar with the area north of the park - where all of the hotels are? Safe enough to walk back and forth to the park?

Pricing tiers make it clear the beer is $25 per bottle. If the taplist is anything like last year, $100 for unlimited beer along with food is worth it. Curious if you will be able to purchase more food tickets or buy food with cash.

This will be fun to see:

Lining up before 10:00am is prohibited. There will be local police present to enforce this.

Anyone else think its dumb that the only time you can pick up bottles is during the fest at a different location? Why not be able to pick them up before at the tasting room? Or afterward?

Bottles of Hunahpu’s® Imperial Stout will be available for pickup at the Marriott Waterside Hotel, 700 South Florida Ave, Tampa, FL 33602, starting at 1:00pm. The hotel is adjacent to the festival grounds. You may reenter the festival after picking up your beers, provided you have your wristband. Attendees must be present to receive bottles. The bottles can only be picked up by the ticket- and wristband-holder. Bottles must be picked up before 5:00pm.

Anyone else think its dumb that the only time you can pick up bottles is during the fest at a different location? Why not be able to pick them up before at the tasting room? Or afterward?

Bottles of Hunahpu’s® Imperial Stout will be available for pickup at the Marriott Waterside Hotel, 700 South Florida Ave, Tampa, FL 33602, starting at 1:00pm. The hotel is adjacent to the festival grounds. You may reenter the festival after picking up your beers, provided you have your wristband. Attendees must be present to receive bottles. The bottles can only be picked up by the ticket- and wristband-holder. Bottles must be picked up before 5:00pm.

Well it is right next door. That being said, I'm guessing it's going to be a **** show between 4 and 5pm when everyone is trying to get them right after the festival ends.

I can definitely see not wanting to have them at the tasting room and have to deal with all kinds of clueless people who are just hanging out there lining up to try buying them and creating a cluster****.

I'm guessing it's going to be a **** show between 4 and 5pm when everyone is trying to get them right after the festival ends.

This is mainly what I was talking about. I don't want to have to tote a bunch of bottles around in my backpack. Or have to take a cab back to the hotel during the fest just to drop off bottles.

This is mainly what I was talking about. I don't want to have to tote a bunch of bottles around in my backpack. Or have to take a cab back to the hotel during the fest just to drop off bottles.

Not sure what you mean. It's no different than past years, really, you pick up bottles on the way out of the fest.

Not sure what you mean. It's no different than past years, really, you pick up bottles on the way out of the fest.

And when everyone leaves the fest when it's over and you have a line at some hotel until 8pm, what are you going to do? Are you going to allow these people to get their bottles after 5?

Can't bring the bottles back to the fest with you so I doubt people will want to leave the fest early to get bottles, go back to hotel, and then back to fest.

Hopefully the line moves as fast as it did last year.

Probably going to pass this year.

Dr.-Who.gif

Yeah I thought that worked out fine last year.

Biggest improvement that could be made over last year is speeding up the entrance process, especially if a rule like "no lining up before 10am" is going to be enforced.

It's different this year in that you can reenter the event if you still have your wristband. So you could leave and get your bottles if you wanted, take them back to your hotel and then come back into the fest. I'm just overthinking things. Carry on. :rolleyes:

It's different this year in that you can reenter the event if you still have your wristband. So you could leave and get your bottles if you wanted, take them back to your hotel and then come back into the fest. I'm just overthinking things. Carry on. :rolleyes:

I suppose it wouldn't be that bad if you get blitzed between 11 and 1, take a quick break to get bottles and return them to the hotel, and sober up a bit for the rest of the day. Come to think of it, that just might be my plan...;)

Dr.-Who.gif

Yeah I thought that worked out fine last year.

Biggest improvement that could be made over last year is speeding up the entrance process, especially if a rule like "no lining up before 10am" is going to be enforced.
So much this. Arrived around 10:30 last year and not being able to enter until almost noon was ********.

Don't they know that most peoples kids' March Breaks starts THE NEXT WEEK?
I'll be hitting the area Sunday for a week in Bradenton.

But if anyone is going and is on the fence about maxing out (and can mule one or two regular Hunas for a homie) I wouldn't be upset. ;)

Will also be ISO TB'ers at Tampa spots one day that week when I get my family hall pass to hit dem breweries.

Not sure if everyone read the fine print for this year but no weapons are allowed in...lame! Guess I'm leaving my nunchucks at home this year. Gonna be a lot of unhappy folks not able to bring their swords and bostaffs this year. Craft beer 2015.....weapon less, guess the bubble is about to burst.

Probably going to pass this year.

I will let you know if for some reason my wife lets me go this year so that you can change your mind and I can get ****ing hammered and we can talk about both accounting and the sales/financing of vehicles to consumers because that's ****ing awesome to do even when a person is sober. Will obviously ping mixed_master7 to see if he is available to bring some lambic baskets, 7clutch as well.

I suppose it wouldn't be that bad if you get blitzed between 11 and 1, take a quick break to get bottles and return them to the hotel, and sober up a bit for the rest of the day. Come to think of it, that just might be my plan...;)

Holy **** Julian it's like you've never heard of coffee or 5hr energy. Who the **** goes to a beer festival and plans to sober-up to get through the afternoon unless they're the DD? The plan should be to get at least buzzed and to walk up to stand in line at 9:57am and yell at the officers that your phone says it's ****ing 10:01am so the city needs to buy them an upgrade from Cricket Wireless.

Not sure if everyone read the fine print for this year but no weapons are allowed in...lame! Guess I'm leaving my nunchucks at home this year. Gonna be a lot of unhappy folks not able to bring their swords and bostaffs this year. Craft beer 2015.....weapon less, guess the bubble is about to burst.

If Florida people are anything like Alabama people, which I assume is exactly the case, they will be fine because I don't see in the fine print that bowling balls won't be allowed.

Well, I'm pretty drunk off blending wine and Upland "Lambic" some I'm just going to show myself out. Can't wait to be ISO some "$50 bottles" of Hunhapu's when my wife tells me I shouldn't go because we need to save for a new minivan.

Ill be going again this year. I hope to head down a day early and stay a day later so I can fully enjoy the festivities. Last year my gf went down with me and I only got to attend huna day/angry chair on the way back.

Definitely going to try and get tickets for this. I'm planning on flying down to Ft. Lauderdale March 7 to meet up with my dad. He snow birds in Florida at my uncles for 6 weeks and drives home. Figured this could be fun to do with him on the way home.

I know last year it was pretty much El Cat members, with the venue change any chance this has changed and lots more tickets?

Definitely going to try and get tickets for this. I'm planning on flying down to Ft. Lauderdale March 7 to meet up with my dad. He snow birds in Florida at my uncles for 6 weeks and drives home. Figured this could be fun to do with him on the way home.

I know last year it was pretty much El Cat members, with the venue change any chance this has changed and lots more tickets?

That's not true at all, less than half the attendees were El Cat members. Probably considerably less than half in fact.

Last edited:
As loyal members of El Catador Club, you are guaranteed access to purchase a ticket to Hunahpu's Day. Plus, El Catador Club members will have exclusive access to purchase a 12 bottle ticket, whereas the general public will only have access to an 8 or 4 bottle ticket. The 12-bottle ticket is $400; the 8-bottle ticket is $300; and the 4-bottle ticket is $200.

There's a limit of 1 ticket per purchase, and it will be tied to the member's name. Trustees are not able to purchase tickets until they go on sale to the general public. Tickets purchased MUST match the name of the member, or they will be refunded.

Members will be able to purchase tickets beginning Tuesday, December 15th through Tuesday, December 22nd. An email will be going out to all members via MailChimp on December 15th with a link and login instructions for each member.

Soon after this, we'll open up sales to the general public. We'll alert El Catador Club members to that date if you'd like to purchase an additional ticket for a spouse or friend.

In the El Cat Facebook thread they're refusing to tell anyone how many tickets they're going to sell, just FYI.

700 or so El Catador Club members got tickets. So, not even 30%
I thought they sold 2,000 tickets last year? 700 = 35% of 2,000 but I did have to use my phone's calculator...

Not surprising they don't want to "give up" how many they are selling because if it is a lot more then last year then many will be hesitant of a large Huna Day again...or that's what many seem to say.

Back