Hunahpu's Day is no more

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 305169

Reaction score
http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/exclusive-rip-hunahpus-day-will-go-distribution-next-year/

The Full Pint just received the following word from founder of Cigar City Brewing, Joseph Redner in regards to future Hunahpu Days.
“I have always tried with these releases to balance fairness with the reality that some people will always try to get around your best efforts at fairness because they personally deserve more. This year they got WAY around my pitiful efforts.

I am acknowledging defeat. That was the last Hunahpu Day. The beer will go into distribution next year and hopefully spread out among many accounts it will get to consumers more fairly.

To those that got shut out this year we will be working on another batch.”

This feels the easy way out to me, and I firmly believe it's the wrong decision. Rushing into a decision this big is yet another poor move on CCB's part. Patient, careful decision-making is apparently overrated.

RIP Huna Day :(

Last edited:
meanwhile_in_australia_640_59.jpg

Let's just cancel Huna Day. Not like that day generates a huge amount of revenue for our brewery. This entire weekend just keeps showing everyone that CCB is run by an idiot.
I generally cede benefit of the doubt to event organizers, but the fact that they made a decision of this magnitude so hastily demonstrates an utter lack of critical thought. As I said to a friend yesterday: the biggest travesty of Saturday would be if CCB's management didn't learn anything. And this knee-jerk reaction proves they didn't learn a thing.

If these are the kinds of decisions CCB's leadership plans to make in the wake of Huna '14, canceling the event is (ignorantly and inadvertently) wise.

How many bottles of this are they making now, 15k? Distributing it to local accounts is the SANE way to get it out into the world. Send half of it out, sell the other half at the brewery over a weekend, put some special stuff on tap. You can do it without having to hire an event staff and you still make it sort of special. (Oh, and anyone who thinks that they're making $TEXAS off of this event, they're almost certainly not. Putting on big events isn't cheap.)

Either that or go the Bruery route and send it all to club members.

http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/exclusive-rip-hunahpus-day-will-go-distribution-next-year/

This feels the easy way out to me, and I firmly believe it's the wrong decision. Rushing into a decision this big is yet another poor move on CCB's part. Patient, careful decision-making is apparently overrated.

RIP Huna Day :(
Even when they admit defeat there's this subtle blaming of others present. Of course the fake tickets were a problem, probably the main problem, but acting like "well, people will always try to screw you if they can" is passive aggressive and still places blame on the attendees. Admit that you, and only you, ****ed the **** up.

Instead of concentrating the sales in one day, they are making people drive around store to store to store to get bottles. Will make getting them that much harder, actually. Kind of sucks for the people that cant afford to go, but still want a bottle. Trade value just shot up.

Honestly they need to just stick to brewing. They have proven to be mentally inept at everything else.

It's been 2 days, ****ing 2, and they have gone from free beer for all, refund everyone's money, to let's never do this again. Not surprising that they can't figure out an event after seeing their response.

Honestly they need to just stick to brewing. They have proven to be mentally inept at everything else.

It's been 2 days, ****ing 2, and they have gone from free beer for all, refund everyone's money, to let's never do this again. Not surprising that they can't figure out an event after seeing their response.
Plus brewing more 2014 Hunah right now, from what I understand?

No it didn't.
Alot of people around here made the trip down, and I could just grab a bottle from them. No one is driving down, just to drive around to stores to grab bottles. So Ill have to trade, which means itll be a little harder to obtain on my end.

Sorry I cant afford the trip, so im left with this.

Alot of people around here made the trip down, and I could just grab a bottle from them. No one is driving down, just to drive around to stores to grab bottles. So Ill have to trade, which means itll be a little harder to obtain on my end.

None of that has anything to do with the trade value.

Instead of concentrating the sales in one day, they are making people drive around store to store to store to get bottles. Will make getting them that much harder, actually. Kind of sucks for the people that cant afford to go, but still want a bottle. Trade value just shot up.

hahahahahahahaha. Nothing but dumb in that bold part.

Bottle count probably won't be different, and hopefully price wont skyrocket. I know that it will not make sense to travel to get some, but the "trade value" shouldn't be any different.

How does this make the "trade value" go up?

From random un verified sources, I heard there was just less to go around this year.

Mainly because people were allowed to leave with cases, while others got the shaft. It isn't like they just didn't make enough for everybody. They just didn't handle the distribution properly. X amount of bottles is still X amount of bottles whether everyone gets some or one person buys it all.

An event only, one day release makes it easier for hoarders and scalpers. If it goes into distro, it becomes the equivalent of Sucaba or Parabola or BCBS. Easy to get for some, hard for others, and overall, super easy to trade for.

How does this make the "trade value" go up?

Proprietor's Effect: "I drove all around town all day and waited in all kinds of lines to get a marked-up bottle rabble rabble rabble!"

I don't think saying the "trade value" went up is exactly the right way to put it; a more accurate description would be something like "a lot of people who get single bottles from stores are going to ransom the hell out of them". I don't recall the secondary/trade market being nearly as stupid after last year's Hunah Day as it is right now, so we are already seeing that kind of behavior.

Proprietor's Effect: "I drove all around town all day and waited in all kinds of lines to get a marked-up bottle rabble rabble rabble!"

I don't think saying the "trade value" went up is exactly the right way to put it; a more accurate description would be something like "a lot of people who get single bottles from stores are going to ransom the hell out of them". I don't recall the secondary/trade market being nearly as stupid after last year's Hunah Day as it is right now, so we are already seeing that kind of behavior.

Came to post this. Instead of people trashing the brewery, they'll be 'boycotting' stores and trying to factor the rising cost of gas into their bottles bc they had to chase a truck across the Everglades to land 1 bottle after visiting 8 stores and signing up for 6 different lists that didnt actually exist. At some point, people will begin incorrectly using the term "price gouging" and then someone will post said definition, followed by a different argument about what it actually means. Srs cant wait.

Back